Keys to beating FLA and moving forward

This is the only thing I have exception with in this analysis of needs and all other's of its ilk. The complaint about experimentation at the OL spots is fairly odd. The intention of these first three games was to get some of the myriad details worked out. I have a very strong belief that they knew who they wanted for at least four of those spots for several months now. There was a bit of a problem; two of those positions were to be held by true freshmen linemen (never a good proposition) and the other two spots were for players that were returning from health issues/injuries that kept them out all of last year. It has been a constant theme amongst this site that the previous regime did not recruit the kind of linemen that could play in the SEC. They have been working with the various combinations until they knew for sure that Morris, Wright, Smith and Kennedy could actually perform in their roles. Wright struggled at Right guard, so they slid him inside. Calbert has shown he can handle right tackle, so they are set now. Barring injury, I believe they have settled on the best 5 and they will stay there for the duration. It is hard to settle early on a starting five until you are certain your best four can handle the load.
I agree and would add that alot fans dont put the transfer portal into perspective when it comes to our Oline. We have to few bodies and even though we dont want to admit it, our experienced OLINE guys could start just about anywhere (except UGA, BAMA, LSU). Our young guys are getting the on the job experience they need. Our future on the Oline is looking very promising. But, of course, we want to win now, at the cost of everything!

I was being facetious.

Based off what???

I would say based on jg has hit his ceiling which is not good at all. And Maurer can improve, actually we have nothing to lose. With jg 3 wins max, so play for the future. Maurer wasn't given much of a chance to throw in his only playing time in a game, so we really don't know what he can do. But I don't see how it could get any worse. Maurer did throw a very good deep ball that should have been caught.

How you beat Florida in 7 Steps:

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

2. Play for and make the breaks and when one comes your way - SCORE.

3. If at first the game - or the breaks - go against you, don't let up... put on more steam.

4. Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead and our ball game.

5. Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle... for this is the WINNING EDGE.

6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.

7. Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes.

I would say based on jg has hit his ceiling which is not good at all. And Maurer can improve, actually we have nothing to lose. With jg 3 wins max, so play for the future. Maurer wasn't given much of a chance to throw in his only playing time in a game, so we really don't know what he can do. But I don't see how it could get any worse. Maurer did throw a very good deep ball that should have been caught.
You literally just defeated your own argument. Maurer throws TWO passes and you admit we dont know what he can do, yet you proclaim his ceiling is higher.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
The only way this game is close is if Florida self-destructs with penalties and turnovers.

This is probably more in line with how I see the game, I just don't think this Tennessee team has the where with all to beat the Gators, but, we'll find out in less than 24 hrs, won't we

If we don't generate some sort of a pass rush, and turn UF into a one dimensional team it won't matter how JG plays because we won't be able to keep up in a shootout. The defensive line has to create without having to blitz every down. Our running game has to take some pressure off of JG and speed the game up on offense.
Agreed! We have to find a way to disrupt their O-line and make Trask beat us by decision making, not play making, so we have to keep him contained in the pocket. I may get roasted for this but I think their DB’s are garbage and can be exposed, I feel the same about Perine at RB. Florida’s edge pressure is what worries me the most.
GBO!!

5) Don't play on our heels/play with an edge

Although this is # 5, it probably should be #1. Go balls to the wall. Put as much pressure on Trask as possible. Don't block or tackle like you have something to apologize for.....play clean football, but talk crap, get into a pregame scuffle and let them know we're here to play... (I really like the idea of bringing Butuli off the edge on passing downs)

4) Take downfield shots

I don't see why we dont do this more anyway. I still continue to believe our receivers are big play threats ready to happen. Call me crazy, but I wish we'd heave it as far as we can at least once a possession to Callaway, JJ, or Palmer...especially when we recognize Man coverage....even if they picked one, at least it would loosen up the box a little for the running game. THROW A DOGG A BONE, Chaney!

3) Gadget Plays

I hope we practice 6-7 and utilize 3-4 of depending on the situation. QB throwback, double reverse, double reverse pass, fake punt....I also would advocate running one of these if we get the lead.

2) No more experiments

I don't want to sound sarcastic, but it's time we play the BEST players on the team at the position they can contribute the most...our O Line needs to develop some continuity. It's the most important position group that requires stability, trust, communication, etc....you cant do that by playing 15 guys at multiple spots. Settle on who works the best together, and go with it! Tell Banks he's a linebacker, turn him loose...Explain to him he'll be a millionaire one day if he'll trust the process.....I'm sure I'll get some pushback, but I'd start Bryce Thompson tell him he messed up but he's my guy and roll with him.

1) Take a page from Sean Payton's playbook

The strength of our offense seems to be the speed and athleticism at RB? All I've heard is Chaney is great at adapting to the skill set of his players....Have we thrown one yet this season? The screen pass is and has always been the great equalizer. Why, on earth, we don't throw 4-5 to Gray and Chandler beats me. Sean Payton is the master at it, but I'd like to think we have them, but for some reason been saving them....We throw them passes in the flat all the time.....With the athletic ability of our RBs, teams should be using most of their practice time game planning how to recognize and stop Tennessee's screen game.
No argument to any of the above.. GBO!!!!!!!

1. Don't turn the ball over

2. Play agressive on both sides of the ball

3. create turnovers

4. limit Florida's big plays

5. the Vols must be able to run the football

6. JG must stay upright and hold on to the football

7. Pray the Curse doesn't decide to rear it's ugly head in the 1st qtr

8. Pray UT players are not intimidated and spooked by Gators

9. Pray the Vols don't have any major injuries (the Gators as well)

10. Pray the game ends differently from the way it usually ends
There is no curse, just scared players. If Pruitt has recruited the right players, they'll rise to the task.

VN Store

Back