Keys to beating FLA and moving forward

The keys to beating Florida and anyone else you play: have better players and/or have better coaches.

Slowing the next Heisman QB for Fla... press is writing some heady stuff about this guy. Could be the real deal, and a game changer.
Of course.... we will have an answer in the gun as well... JG gonna light it up. Maybe, well I hope, well...

The only real keys are play hard, play smart, and play consistent. Protect the ball, no turnovers, and no stupid penalties. If we do that, we're in the game with a chance to win.

Reactions: VolinMC
Under NO circumstances utilize Any Chart that butch jones's hand touched! Or take any advice from a Jones advisor, especially when it comes to clock management, field goal vs "going for it", or onside kicks. Keep our passes short and fast, JG has been taking too long to throw, if JG can't get his head in the game very early, change QB's, the confusion to FL D, may give us a small edge for a set of downs. Do not throw on every 1st down, change up the snap count (at least once in a while)! Stupid Personal fouls, must Not be part of UT's play if we hope to win. Targeting will get you DQ for the game, and maybe part of the GA game. Finally, if playing D, don't stop your drive just because the ball has been passed, take the extra two steps into their turf, every play, we've been "quitting early".

Kyle Trask looked good at the end of the KY game. I'm worried that he will destroy us , (Heisman Style). I'm praying he don't, but it ain't looking good! Coin toss on this game, but I'm expecting a nightmare!

I think we will see gadget plays early, which often seems like a pure desperation move. We will see these early because the deep ball threat will be eliminated fairly early on in the game. UF will most likely add to their INT total on JG which currently sits at 2 INT and 0 TDs. Not really sure those stats will change for the positive in this years game. I bet we have a ton of rushing yards and low YPC because once the passing game gets rattled Chaney doesnt have many other options.

I think we will see gadget plays early, which often seems like a pure desperation move. We will see these early because the deep ball threat will be eliminated fairly early on in the game. UF will most likely add to their INT total on JG which currently sits at 2 INT and 0 TDs. Not really sure those stats will change for the positive in this years game. I bet we have a ton of rushing yards and low YPC because once the passing game gets rattled Chaney doesnt have many other options.
Glad you could pick bring some positive news instead of your usual negativity. Wait a minute ... and are you and CA vol brothers and or the EXACT same person?

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Would you mind sharing more of your insights?
We were a 7-5 team before we learned JG would regress to an even worse position from an already fairly awful starting point. Until he moves on, we aren’t beating UF in the Swamp. It’s that easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLVOL_79
We were a 7-5 team before we learned JG would regress to an even worse position from an already fairly awful starting point. Until he moved on, we aren’t beating UF in the Swamp. It’s that easy.
I was being facetious.
I’d play Mauer over JG any day. We likely aren’t going to a bowl anyway after the 0-2 start. His ceiling is much higher.
Based off what???

My main key to the game,,,,,dont beat ourselves. Penalties have to be at a minimum. No stupid turnovers. Do your job on on the field.

I'd love to see a few slip screens this game. I've been assuming we don't run it because our O-line is no good at it, but who knows...

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
5) Don't play on our heels/play with an edge

Although this is # 5, it probably should be #1. Go balls to the wall. Put as much pressure on Trask as possible. Don't block or tackle like you have something to apologize for.....play clean football, but talk crap, get into a pregame scuffle and let them know we're here to play... (I really like the idea of bringing Butuli off the edge on passing downs)

4) Take downfield shots

I don't see why we dont do this more anyway. I still continue to believe our receivers are big play threats ready to happen. Call me crazy, but I wish we'd heave it as far as we can at least once a possession to Callaway, JJ, or Palmer...especially when we recognize Man coverage....even if they picked one, at least it would loosen up the box a little for the running game. THROW A DOGG A BONE, Chaney!

3) Gadget Plays

I hope we practice 6-7 and utilize 3-4 of depending on the situation. QB throwback, double reverse, double reverse pass, fake punt....I also would advocate running one of these if we get the lead.

2) No more experiments

I don't want to sound sarcastic, but it's time we play the BEST players on the team at the position they can contribute the most...our O Line needs to develop some continuity. It's the most important position group that requires stability, trust, communication, etc....you cant do that by playing 15 guys at multiple spots. Settle on who works the best together, and go with it! Tell Banks he's a linebacker, turn him loose...Explain to him he'll be a millionaire one day if he'll trust the process.....I'm sure I'll get some pushback, but I'd start Bryce Thompson tell him he messed up but he's my guy and roll with him.

1) Take a page from Sean Payton's playbook

The strength of our offense seems to be the speed and athleticism at RB? All I've heard is Chaney is great at adapting to the skill set of his players....Have we thrown one yet this season? The screen pass is and has always been the great equalizer. Why, on earth, we don't throw 4-5 to Gray and Chandler beats me. Sean Payton is the master at it, but I'd like to think we have them, but for some reason been saving them....We throw them passes in the flat all the time.....With the athletic ability of our RBs, teams should be using most of their practice time game planning how to recognize and stop Tennessee's screen game.

Add: don’t play Ryan Johnson. Ever. He blocks no one. He’s the biggest OL liability since Mack Crowder.

2) No more experiments

I don't want to sound sarcastic, but it's time we play the BEST players on the team at the position they can contribute the most...our O Line needs to develop some continuity. It's the most important position group that requires stability, trust, communication, etc....you cant do that by playing 15 guys at multiple spots. Settle on who works the best together, and go with it! Tell Banks he's a linebacker, turn him loose...Explain to him he'll be a millionaire one day if he'll trust the process.....I'm sure I'll get some pushback, but I'd start Bryce Thompson tell him he messed up but he's my guy and roll with him.
This is the only thing I have exception with in this analysis of needs and all other's of its ilk. The complaint about experimentation at the OL spots is fairly odd. The intention of these first three games was to get some of the myriad details worked out. I have a very strong belief that they knew who they wanted for at least four of those spots for several months now. There was a bit of a problem; two of those positions were to be held by true freshmen linemen (never a good proposition) and the other two spots were for players that were returning from health issues/injuries that kept them out all of last year. It has been a constant theme amongst this site that the previous regime did not recruit the kind of linemen that could play in the SEC. They have been working with the various combinations until they knew for sure that Morris, Wright, Smith and Kennedy could actually perform in their roles. Wright struggled at Right guard, so they slid him inside. Calbert has shown he can handle right tackle, so they are set now. Barring injury, I believe they have settled on the best 5 and they will stay there for the duration. It is hard to settle early on a starting five until you are certain your best four can handle the load.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Glad you could pick bring some positive news instead of your usual negativity. Wait a minute ... and are you and CA vol brothers and or the EXACT same person?
Maybe? Two accounts = double the negativity and JG hate!!!

But no.

I will miss most of the game due to being 35,000 in the air tomorrow so maybe we win?

5) Don't play on our heels/play with an edge

Although this is # 5, it probably should be #1. Go balls to the wall. Put as much pressure on Trask as possible. Don't block or tackle like you have something to apologize for.....play clean football, but talk crap, get into a pregame scuffle and let them know we're here to play... (I really like the idea of bringing Butuli off the edge on passing downs)

4) Take downfield shots

I don't see why we dont do this more anyway. I still continue to believe our receivers are big play threats ready to happen. Call me crazy, but I wish we'd heave it as far as we can at least once a possession to Callaway, JJ, or Palmer...especially when we recognize Man coverage....even if they picked one, at least it would loosen up the box a little for the running game. THROW A DOGG A BONE, Chaney!

3) Gadget Plays

I hope we practice 6-7 and utilize 3-4 of depending on the situation. QB throwback, double reverse, double reverse pass, fake punt....I also would advocate running one of these if we get the lead.

2) No more experiments

1) Take a page from Sean Payton's playbook

The strength of our offense seems to be the speed and athleticism at RB? All I've heard is Chaney is great at adapting to the skill set of his players....Have we thrown one yet this season? The screen pass is and has always been the great equalizer. Why, on earth, we don't throw 4-5 to Gray and Chandler beats me. Sean Payton is the master at it, but I'd like to think we have them, but for some reason been saving them....We throw them passes in the flat all the time.....With the athletic ability of our RBs, teams should be using most of their practice time game planning how to recognize and stop Tennessee's screen game.
If Trask comes out of this game breathing then we didn't do what we needed to. Scoring pts will not be the issue. Make this back up wish he was still that and I don't care if we get penalties because of it!

giphy.gif

VN Store

Back