Kentucky Forum: Who would you rather win title, Tennessee or Dook/UNCheat?

Not trying to continue to argue but if it was enough of an infraction to warrant being called cheaters and you discounting their titles I'd say they'd have been vacated! As I said before UK fans don't seem to want to admit they dont sit atop that throne!
Dude Kentucky fans are straight up delusional, no point in arguing with them.

If we vacated every single time for every infraction possible I doubt there'd be many teams with titles left.

Cal has had 2 Final 4s vacated and he doesn't even make your all-time Top 3 sleaziest coaches list.

With that said, you are right. John Wooden was the biggest cheater of all time...

I think it’s cute that Kentucky fans think they are gonna win the SEC this year. They are not on our level. We will sweep them this year.

So are you a VOL fan or a Duke fan?

Well I grew up 5 minutes from Duke’s campus and started going to games when I was 4. Since 1986 I’d guess I’ve been to over a couple hundred games in Cameron and dozens in Wallace Wade. My family being from the Tri-cities, I always really liked the Vols, but was determined to play major College basketball ( that didn’t happen), went to UT vs Notre Dame In 1999 and fell in love with the campus and pretty much everything about it. Got my academics in order to transfer(played my one year of D3 college ball, hated it), transferred to Knoxville, met my wife there, became obsessed with college football and UT and haven’t looked back. I’m a UT fan first and foremost, however I’m not going to turn in my Duke fan card because people think I’m some bandwagon fan. I’m not. It’s a very fortunate coincidence that I’ve been closely involved with 2 great places.

UCLA won almost all of them cheating rampantly under one coach. UK won them in five different decades with five different coaches. Overall dominance and continued excellence easily favors UK.

But, Rupp built the program by getting a job at a school which had no history at the time in basketball or football and was in a football conference so, there would be no competition from any other schools in basketball. Therefore, Kentucky would win the conference every year and get valuable experience in the tournament and eventually winning titles. So, when I read or hear how many conference titles Kyjelly has it should also be stated just how the program was built. When the other schools are interested in football then it's easier to build a basketball program.

But, Rupp built the program by getting a job at a school which had no history at the time in basketball or football and was in a football conference so, there would be no competition from any other schools in basketball. Therefore, Kentucky would win the conference every year and get valuable experience in the tournament and eventually winning titles. So, when I read or hear how many conference titles Kyjelly has it should also be stated just how the program was built. When the other schools are interested in football then it's easier to build a basketball program.

If it was easy then other teams could have done the same. To discredit UKs success because the conference is just silly. The national success proves it wasn't just a team rolling over the conference schedule but then falling flat on the real big stage.

I get it. UK's dislike of UT basketball is like big brother/little brother battle. UNC and Duke is like a good looking dude after your girl. Big Difference.

If it was easy then other teams could have done the same. To discredit UKs success because the conference is just silly. The national success proves it wasn't just a team rolling over the conference schedule but then falling flat on the real big stage.

Rolling through the conference got Kyjelly the experience it needed to be prepare for winning titles. Experience in the national tourney is needed to build lasting success and in those days only the conference championship went to the tourney. So, winning the conference 9 times out of 10 against football schools can build that success. No denying that.

Rolling through the conference got Kyjelly the experience it needed to be prepare for winning titles. Experience in the national tourney is needed to build lasting success and in those days only the conference championship went to the tourney. So, winning the conference 9 times out of 10 against football schools can build that success. No denying that.

So rolling through an easy conference was adequate preparation for the tournament? That just doesn't make sense to me. I don't think it's a fluke UK has had NCAAT success. You have a good history with good coaches, with plenty of support from the school, the results will come. I don't think it has anything to do with only being in the SEC.

So rolling through an easy conference was adequate preparation for the tournament? That just doesn't make sense to me. I don't think it's a fluke UK has had NCAAT success. You have a good history with good coaches, with plenty of support from the school, the results will come. I don't think it has anything to do with only being in the SEC.

So, you're saying that tournament experience isn't necessary? I could hardly Believe that. Gonzaga is a good example of getting tournament experience with winning their conference every year (as Rupp did). Even though they are not usually pressed in the regular season (except accasionally by St Mary's) they have built a national program with gaining national tournament experience (as Rupp did).

Tennessee is and always will be a football school. Any success that may come on the court will always play second to football recruiting just as any football success at Kyjelly will always come second to basketball recruiting.

So, you're saying that tournament experience isn't necessary? I could hardly Believe that. Gonzaga is a good example of getting tournament experience with winning their conference every year (as Rupp did). Even though they are not usually pressed in the regular season (except accasionally by St Mary's) they have built a national program with gaining national tournament experience (as Rupp did).

Tennessee is and always will be a football school. Any success that may come on the court will always play second to football recruiting just as any football success at Kyjelly will always come second to basketball recruiting.

Gonzaga is good first and foremost because they have a very good coach who knows exactly how to run his program. I don't get how you conflate winning a conference tourney with automatic success in the NCAAT. Overall experience is way more valuable than winning a conference title generally.

But the data doesn't even support the idea that a conference winner usually wins the tourney. From 1993-2017, over half the champions didn't win their conference title.

Do conference tournaments predict national championships? | NCAA.com

Well I grew up 5 minutes from Duke’s campus and started going to games when I was 4. Since 1986 I’d guess I’ve been to over a couple hundred games in Cameron and dozens in Wallace Wade. My family being from the Tri-cities, I always really liked the Vols, but was determined to play major College basketball ( that didn’t happen), went to UT vs Notre Dame In 1999 and fell in love with the campus and pretty much everything about it. Got my academics in order to transfer(played my one year of D3 college ball, hated it), transferred to Knoxville, met my wife there, became obsessed with college football and UT and haven’t looked back. I’m a UT fan first and foremost, however I’m not going to turn in my Duke fan card because people think I’m some bandwagon fan. I’m not. It’s a very fortunate coincidence that I’ve been closely involved with 2 great places.

Makes sense, the reason I asked was because I have a friend who is the exact same way, watching Duke since he was 4 or 5, but is a diehard UT fan as well. We also grew up in the Tri-cities, maybe there's something in the water up there.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Gonzaga is good first and foremost because they have a very good coach who knows exactly how to run his program. I don't get how you conflate winning a conference tourney with automatic success in the NCAAT. Overall experience is way more valuable than winning a conference title generally.

But the data doesn't even support the idea that a conference winner usually wins the tourney. From 1993-2017, over half the champions didn't win their conference title.

Do conference tournaments predict national championships? | NCAA.com

That data is only from 1993. Back in the early days of the tourney only conference championship went to the tourney. So, that is how Rupp developed Kyjelly to the dynasty program it is. So, again if 9 years out of 10 a school is going to the tourney the coaches develop the experience to handle the tourney and can translate that to how to handle the players. Not to mention the returning players from previous years learn to handle the pressure of the tourney. Coach Few is a modern day example of a Coach Rupp by winning a weak conference every year and parlaying that into building a national program, though he hasn't won a title yet, but the example is the same. If Gonzaga was the only team from their conference to go to the tourney then only Gonzaga would get that valuable tourney experience, ala Rupp.

UCLA won almost all of them cheating rampantly under one coach. UK won them in five different decades with five different coaches. Overall dominance and continued excellence easily favors UK.

Lest we forget that during Rupp's heyday there was very little rules enforcement so, to say Coach Wooden was a cheat is the pot calling the kettle black.

Kentucky isn't worried about us stealing their recruits since they know Rick Barnes recruits the honest way...its the other blue-blood schools who pay for players that they have to compete for recruits against. Since they all have bag-men, it wouldn't be in their best interest for the other teams to also win.

Honestly, I kinda gained a new respect for UK fans. They really, really, hate pUKe, and UNCheat...... Most of them said they would pull for my beloved vols.......

Go wildscats. I guess???

I went to UK from 74-78 when the Ernie and Bernie show was at UT. And at the same time we had a good football team. It was fun having a true rivalry with UT in both sports, where it wasn't know who was going to win each game. I am happy that the SEC is getting to be more competitive in basketball now, and if means we don't win the SEC every year, well, I won't love it, but it will be the price we will have to pay to have better competition in the SEC. Arkansas won the NC in 1994 and Florida won in 2006 & 2006, and we got over it.

Reactions: LittleCat

VN Store

Back