KenPom Dropped

berryvol

The first KenPom rankings of the year are out and the Vols are projected to win the SEC. Couldn’t be more pumped for October 30. The best time of the year is upon us ladies and gents.

Attachments

• 48192AE7-1458-4EE8-882F-4AA3A79A1684.jpeg
    48192AE7-1458-4EE8-882F-4AA3A79A1684.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 302
The first KenPom rankings of the year are out and the Vols are projected to win the SEC. Couldn’t be more pumped for October 30. The best time of the year is upon us ladies and gents.
Very excited for the season. Don’t think Gonzaga will be the best team in the country. Their record will still be good but I think they take a decent step back this year

Sammiched between Raider Rash and Whorns. Ouch 🤕

Preseason rankings are always silly but it feels like they’re extra silly for analytical systems. Do they have analytics on freshmen and transfers that they can somehow apply before the season?

Preseason rankings are always silly but it feels like they’re extra silly for analytical systems. Do they have analytics on freshmen and transfers that they can somehow apply before the season?
Yes they do have analytics based on historical production of similar players. It’s clearly prone to variability, but they’re pretty useful in getting a general pecking order when looking across all 358 teams. I’d think as far as preseason rankings go they’re better than the human alternative

Reactions: Vo13 and berryvol
Saw a stat on Twitter from one of the basketball media folks I follow that said the last 5 (4 maybe?) national champions have been ranked in the top 5 of the preseason KenPom rankings.

So yeah, I think analytical models like KenPom tend to be more spot on at the higher end. But nothing is perfect.

Saw a stat on Twitter from one of the basketball media folks I follow that said the last 5 (4 maybe?) national champions have been ranked in the top 5 of the preseason KenPom rankings.

So yeah, I think analytical models like KenPom tend to be more spot on at the higher end. But nothing is perfect.
I think it goes further back than that to 2014 when UConn won it. Though 2020 it may have not happened. None of the projected 1 seeds were ranked in the top 8 of Ken Pom preseason projections.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
In the past 10 seasons (not counting 2020) the most frequent preseason ranking to win it all is from the #5 spot. 16-18 Nova twice and UNC once were ranked 5 preseason. UVA was ranked 4 preseason in 19.

Golf balls, where were you Sat night? Do you have any yellow range balls in your golf bag? Plowman wants to know.
I don’t have an alibi. I was at the game. If they are reviewing credit card purchases they’ll probably find me because I bought like 6 liter sized Dasani bottles in the second half lol

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I don’t have an alibi. I was at the game. If they are reviewing credit card purchases they’ll probably find me because I bought like 6 liter sized Dasani bottles in the second half lol

Hell, that didn’t take long!! Lol

Love seeing that our ranking could move up pretty easily with production on offense. Also nice to know we shouldn’t have to wait too long to know what we have.

VN Store

Back