Kennedy was shot on this date in 1963.

Second grade. School let out early. My bus driver cried the whole trip and told all the kids we needed to sit quietly all the way home.

Second grade. School let out early. My bus driver cried the whole trip and told all the kids we needed to sit quietly all the way home.

It’s sad how politics have become so divisive that if the same thing happened today many would be celebrating had it happened to Biden or Trump.

Last edited:
I’m still surprised Obama or Trump wasn’t assassinated or somebody didn’t try to anyway. Last assassination attempt was in 1982 on Reagan.

If you've never been to Dealey Plaza and the TSD 6th Floor Museum, I'd highly recommend it.
You can actually stand on the spot where JFK suffered the fatal headshot (I ducked while standing there, of course).

Interesting to think what may/may not have happened had the assassination not occurred. Would we have became as heavily involved in Vietnam as we did with LBJ in charge? Would RFK have potentially been a successor to JFK in '68?

He was a catholic and they had plans to take over the world.
Yep. Exactly. Kennedy was hated by a lot of people.

I'll definitely buy that the country is more partisan today than it was when he was killed. But it isn't like there wasn't a group of people that probably welcomed his demise back then.

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
I was in third grade. For some reason we were out of school that day. Was at my grandmothers along with a few cousins outside playing when our grandmother came out and told us what had happened.

I was in third grade. For some reason we were out of school that day. Was at my grandmothers along with a few cousins outside playing when our grandmother came out and told us what had happened.

It was a Friday so there might have been a school function or teacher training going on. Amazingly, college football continued the next day (UK vs UT in Lexington) and pro football the Sunday after.

Sixty years (almost) is a long time. It’s hard to describe how different it was then compared to now. Not all better, but just a different culture in our country.

I'm sure there were many people who celebrated it then too. They just didn't have Twitter or Facebook to run to and broadcast their idiocy.

Many of them are still alive and could still post their feelings on Facebook. I’ve never read one account of that. Even the Reagan shooting. But there’d be a party atmosphere if it had happened to the last 4 or 5 POTUS office holders. Maddow wouldn’t have been able to contain her joy if it had happened to Trump.

People were more civil if a national tragedy occurred in that era. Even 9/11 a generation ago people weren’t so quick to exhibit their unpopular feelings in this country. But to be fair, there were many idiots hating on Americans of ME ancestry. Although incidents would have been amplified by the MSM as they do now.

Reactions: Smokey X
Really? When else was he there?

Google is your friend..

Speech by Vice President Nixon, Memorial Auditorium, Dallas, TX | The American Presidency Project

A Look Back at Past Presidential Visits to Dallas

October 28, 1970 – Nixon spoke at a political rally at Dallas Market Hall for Congressman and Senate candidate George H. W. Bush. He attended press interviews at the Marriott Motor Hotel (now demolished) that afternoon and left via Love Field that evening.

VN Store

Back