Kennedy Chandler's future? [drafted No.38 to Memphis]

Man. Kennedy easily could’ve come back and lead a team that would compete to be one of our best ever, and probably improve his stock at least enough to go in the first. We even have an open scholarship spot, we would still have everybody we currently do

Reactions: walkenvol
Memphis is one team I didn't want him to go to...Its a sympathy pick because its his hometown and Ja Morant mentored/trained with him. Ja probably went to bat for him, but they only took him because he fell so far. But that's Ja's team...He needs a team he has a chance to play PG

Memphis is one team I didn't want him to go to...Its a sympathy pick because its his hometown and Ja Morant mentored/trained with him. Ja probably went to bat for him, but they only took him because he fell so far. But that's Ja's team...He needs a team he has a chance to play PG

You seem like the type of person that would complain if someone gave you $1,000,000 and would be mad it wasn't $1,000,001

No question the size thing hurt him. So Memphis gets two other talented players AND the guy they were rumored to be taking at 22. Sounds like shrewd management to me. It’s a good spot for Kennedy. Tyus Jones is probably signing a big contract elsewhere and the Grizz need a backup PG. He’ll get some minutes as Ja is a bit injury prone and doesn’t play every game. Happy for the kid to get stay home.

You don’t keep up with the Grizz much do you? They are one of the few teams that need a backup PG. Tyus Jones is almost certainly going to sign a contract with somebody that Memphis isn’t going to match. Jones made his rep the last two years getting a lot of minutes because Ja was hurt. KC will get a shot to prove folks wrong.

There were a number of mock drafts that had KC in the early to mid-2nd round. Today's final SI mock had him at 39, which is close to where we're at. Unfortunately, those are turning out to be correct.

Low and behold, ended up being 38

uhhh....no. This was obviously a disappointing outcome all around for Tennessee and Kennedy Chandler..
Disappointment that he dropped so far but I’m certain he isn’t disappointed about where he landed. I’m sure he’s overjoyed and not looking back.

That sucks. And this new world of NIL it seems like if he wasn’t a for sure top 15 pick he should come back and try to improve his stock. I’m sure we could’ve gotten him a pretty lucrative deal. Perhaps he could have made more money next season by staying in college and improving his draft stock at the same time.

And let’s clear up another fallacy. Pro teams do NOT make “sympathy picks”. It is strictly a business and they pick who they think will help them win and sell tickets or who they can package to get other players.
I think Memphis was gonna get KC no matter what. Hometown kids will be better at succeeding as rookies because of the familiarity and comfort zone. That’s the vibe I’m getting

Reactions: Delmar
I think this might be tougher for KC than some are thinking. Isn't TyTy and KC competing to back up Ja?

Seems to me the Grizz won't eventually keep one of these guys. What am I missing, Delmar?

This is not a surprising outcome. At all.

We seem to specialize in getting good players who would benefit from (or maximize their potential with) 3-4 years in college, but think they are better than they really are and head to the NBA Draft too early.

VN Store

Back