Kellie Harper discussion/debate thread [merged]

We’re not going to get another Rickea.

I mean you see what Kellie was able to accomplish when she actually managed to land one Rickea... not much. Think high profile transfers this year aren't paying attention?

I'm sure Kellie will go back to her usual MO and cobble together a team with mid-major castoffs to go along with whatever veteran players she can convince to stay. Watch out South Carolina...

Reactions: LadyVol1908
If I were an outstanding player in the portal and read some of the things that some posters write on this sight I would be a little leery to take a chance on the Lady Vols. While it is true that the season has not gone as it was projected, the ladies did finish third in the SEC. They did beat every team they were supposed to beat, except for one. They did win 20 games and actually played very good against ranked teams, with the exception of USC, however, USC beat down a lot of teams including LSU. We need to at least give them credit for their successes.

If I were an outstanding player in the portal and read some of the things that some posters write on this sight I would be a little leery to take a chance on the Lady Vols. While it is true that the season has not gone as it was projected, the ladies did finish third in the SEC. They did beat every team they were supposed to beat, except for one. They did win 20 games and actually played very good against ranked teams, with the exception of USC, however, USC beat down a lot of teams including LSU. We need to at least give them credit for their successes.

That’s not accurate….they lost to IU, Ohio St, UCLA and Gonzaga. All teams ranked below them at the time of the loss. So they didn’t win the games they were supposed to win. Been outside the Top 25 majority of the season for a reason. Kids don’t need a message board to see that.

LV’s are 3rd in the SEC with one of those teams above them being one of the best women’s basketball teams of all time. To suggest KJH is on the hot seat is absurd.
4 judgment games. 0-4 in all of them
You don’t get rewarded for mediocrity and 3rd in conference (which is supposedly the worst it’s been in years) in year four. You have to start knocking off the rivals if you have the label of “blue blood” if not then you’re just another team on their schedule.

Reactions: mcannon1
That’s not accurate….they lost to IU, Ohio St, UCLA and Gonzaga. All teams ranked below them at the time of the loss. So they didn’t win the games they were supposed to win. Been outside the Top 25 majority of the season for a reason. Kids don’t need a message board to see that.
Just maybe the ladies were ranked better than they actually are, but many on this board are touch on the players. Many bring up hair and nails, which has little to nothing to do with their skill set. We are all frustrated with the season because we expected a high ranking season, but to become brutal against the players is very unnecessary. Yes recruits know that the Lady Vols fell like a 2 ton brick in the ocean, but people read message boards and determine how fans vocally treat their players and coaches. In the battle for recruits some coaches will use everything at their disposal to discourage a recruit from signing with a particular team, as well as their fan base, the message board is tool that they can and do use. I coached in high school for 16 years and fully understand how many recruiters work. My point is give them less ammo as possible.

Just maybe the ladies were ranked better than they actually are, but many on this board are touch on the players. Many bring up hair and nails, which has little to nothing to do with their skill set. We are all frustrated with the season because we expected a high ranking season, but to become brutal against the players is very unnecessary. Yes recruits know that the Lady Vols fell like a 2 ton brick in the ocean, but people read message boards and determine how fans vocally treat their players and coaches. In the battle for recruits some coaches will use everything at their disposal to discourage a recruit from signing with a particular team, as well as their fan base, the message board is tool that they can and do use. I coached in high school for 16 years and fully understand how many recruiters work. My point is give them less ammo as possible.
Don’t disagree about the personal attacks that showed up. Here or other social media platforms. My stance was you claimed we won games we were supposed to win except for one, which was not the case. Our fans our loyal with high expectations in all sports…not many schools can do what we’ve done in multiple men’s and women’s sports at the same time the last few years.

Last edited:
I have this mental picture of the 12-yr-old "committment" sitting with her feet on the AD's desk, finishing up the University-supplied Happy Meal while the AD is out checking numbers for her NIL deal. She licks her fingers (may come in handy as a celebration later) and pops out her phone to scroll through Vol Nation and decide if we're nice enough for her to come here.

Heaven help us.

I have this mental picture of the 12-yr-old "committment" sitting with her feet on the AD's desk, finishing up the University-supplied Happy Meal while the AD is out checking numbers for her NIL deal. She licks her fingers (may come in handy as a celebration later) and pops out her phone to scroll through Vol Nation and decide if we're nice enough for her to come here.

Heaven help us.
😂 tsk, tsk…

Reactions: VolBalls33

Heaven help us.
In another year she’ll be able to capture a schools fandom via Twitter once she become a teenager officially.

Preseason rankings are fairy dust. When seeding committees look at quality of schedule and whether a loss was a good or bad one (i.e. losing to a bad team), they assess the actual, not predicted, status of a team. Indiana is #2, OSU is 14, Gonzaga is 15 and UCLA is 19.

I get it, you have "expectations". You don't think Kellie us up to the job but you are really stretching to make the current season look much worse than it actually is.

I am not sure it is you or your dark overlord you said that kellie has not been able to do anything with her star player. At this point in the season, no team has really done anything. The upcoming tournaments, most particularly the NCAA, are where teams show. So, we will see soon enough what they actual outcome of this season turns out to be. then, it is time for the moratorium on KJH.

Preseason rankings are fairy dust. When seeding committees look at quality of schedule and whether a loss was a good or bad one (i.e. losing to a bad team), they assess the actual, not predicted, status of a team. Indiana is #2, OSU is 14, Gonzaga is 15 and UCLA is 19.

I get it, you have "expectations". You don't think Kellie us up to the job but you are really stretching to make the current season look much worse than it actually is.

I am not sure it is you or your dark overlord you said that kellie has not been able to do anything with her star player. At this point in the season, no team has really done anything. The upcoming tournaments, most particularly the NCAA, are where teams show. So, we will see soon enough what they actual outcome of this season turns out to be. then, it is time for the moratorium on KJH.
Fairy dust? We had fans here boasting this was a F4 team before the rankings came out. It’s not this season only, it’s last season, it’s recruiting past and present, it’s the lack of a solid bench coach, it’s a 20 year resume of mediocrity. Many things not named this year that will lead to further fall for the future. And yes, her player development is suspect as you see her biggest recruit in 20 years playing as an off the bench #8-10 player. RJ has saved her coaching deficiencies from being exposed worse than what we already knew.

Fairy dust? We had fans here boasting this was a F4 team before the rankings came out. It’s not this season only, it’s last season, it’s recruiting past and present, it’s the lack of a solid bench coach, it’s a 20 year resume of mediocrity. Many things not named this year that will lead to further fall for the future. And yes, her player development is suspect as you see her biggest recruit in 20 years playing as an off the bench #8-10 player. RJ has saved her coaching deficiencies from being exposed worse than what we already knew.
Major it is difficult to disagree that KJH and her staff seem lacking in a lot of areas. The recruiting speaks for itself along with player development. I hope when the season is over that the administration will evaluate how things are going and where they appear to be headed. At this point the future seems bleak, however, a good run in the SEC tournament along with at least good play in the NCAA’s might point upward. I hope it does but will not be shocked if it does not. I like you want to know how KJH plans to overcome the zero recruits for the upcoming year. I like you want someone who can turn this program around. We have reached the point that something needs to be done right now and not wait hoping things will get better. I love the Lady Vols too much to see them become the next La Tech, Texas Tech or Old Dominion. Pat’s legacy deserves better than it is receiving.

Major it is difficult to disagree that KJH and her staff seem lacking in a lot of areas. The recruiting speaks for itself along with player development. I hope when the season is over that the administration will evaluate how things are going and where they appear to be headed. At this point the future seems bleak, however, a good run in the SEC tournament along with at least good play in the NCAA’s might point upward. I hope it does but will not be shocked if it does not. I like you want to know how KJH plans to overcome the zero recruits for the upcoming year. I like you want someone who can turn this program around. We have reached the point that something needs to be done right now and not wait hoping things will get better. I love the Lady Vols too much to see them become the next La Tech, Texas Tech or Old Dominion. Pat’s legacy deserves better than it is receiving.
Can agree with that. A deep run in the tournament means E8 or better, losing in the Sweet 16 or before only closes what was a discouraging year under this staff.

Ya left out Delta State! 😉

Reactions: glv98
I mean you see what Kellie was able to accomplish when she actually managed to land one Rickea... not much. Think high profile transfers this year aren't paying attention?

I'm sure Kellie will go back to her usual MO and cobble together a team with mid-major castoffs to go along with whatever veteran players she can convince to stay. Watch out South Carolina...
She's only going to win 24-25 games...not bad..

Depends on the games….is everyone content with beating up directional schools plus the rest of the SEC not named SC and LSU.

With this roster, we should be able to beat someone of significance. We'll see if we can get that done in the next two tournaments.
If we could somehow draw Creme's current bracket, there's no reason we shouldn't make a run.

Pro and college sport forums are always "raw and unadulterated " consisting of the diverse opinions of countless fans and trolls ,good and ugly. If you're looking for people to "suppress their truth" or "bite their words" it simply will not ever happen.People will state what they feel , know , and believe . This is the State of the Union for every coach , player , and fan .
Everyone should be used to it by now.

Curious, kinda checked out on Holly, did she ever get bit in the behind by an overly ambitious schedule?

Not that I remember. She "couldn't coach effort" and therefore lose to some mediocre off of conference teams.

Nor sure that CKH will learn any shifty inbound plays. But, I do think that this has taught her to turn down playing 4-5 Big Ten / Pac-12 teams.

I vote to copy the LSU pre-season schedule, plus play Stanford. Drop UConn like a rock.

Last edited:
That was what Holly averaged.

A great Kellie year = an average Holly year?

Averages can be misleading, kind of like the average American family having 2.5 children.

Holly's average win total reflects her having a really good record in her first 3 years as HC and then going on a slow decline, winning only 19 games in her final season.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back