Karly Weathers 2022

I saw this on facebook the other day, and thought about posting it. I played ball with her Dad back in the day. I graduated with her Aunt and Uncle; car pooled to UNA with her Aunt. Her Dad played 19 yrs. in the Majors; he is a Bama season tix. holder; for what it's worth. Her brother committed to Vandy, but went straight to the pros this past year. He was the Gatorade Nat. player of the year in baseball. I've seen her play once; reminds me of Pistol Pete; too bad she has no help at all. On a side note there has only been one player from Loretto that I know of that has ever played for UT in any sport, and that was like 55 yrs. ago, but they have a baseball player committed who will be a Sr. this yr. He was Mr. baseball this yr. for the small school Div.

In 1979 a star player (nationally) graduated from Loretto High. Jennifer White chose Louisiana Tech as her college choice and played for Sonja Hogg and Leon Barmore. She was a 2nd Team Parade AA and averaged about 30 ppg in HS.

I hope we don't miss out on Karly.

Last edited:
In 1979 a star player (nationally) graduated from Loretto High. Jennifer White chose Louisiana Tech as her college choice and played for Sonja Hogg and Leon Barmore. She was a 2nd Team Parade AA and averaged about 30 ppg in HS.

I hope we don't miss out on Karly.
Word on the street had it that Pat did not offer TN players then because TN still played half court; 3 on 3 at each end. On a side note she accidentally threw my hat out the school bus window, I started to cry, but the bus driver backed up at let me get it.

And although the half court style of play was intriguing in its own right, it probably cost a lot of players in the college transition. White's impact did wane once Kim Mulkey arrived--in addition to her already playing alongside all-everything Angela Turner. Throw in Elinor Griffith, Pam Kelly, Janice Lawrence, and Debra Rodman on the inside, and it was easy to become eclipsed.

I look forward to seeing how Weathers develops and how her recruitment unfolds.

I saw this on facebook the other day, and thought about posting it. I played ball with her Dad back in the day. I graduated with her Aunt and Uncle; car pooled to UNA with her Aunt. Her Dad played 19 yrs. in the Majors; he is a Bama season tix. holder; for what it's worth. Her brother committed to Vandy, but went straight to the pros this past year. He was the Gatorade Nat. player of the year in baseball. I've seen her play once; reminds me of Pistol Pete; too bad she has no help at all. On a side note there has only been one player from Loretto that I know of that has ever played for UT in any sport, and that was like 55 yrs. ago, but they have a baseball player committed who will be a Sr. this yr. He was Mr. baseball this yr. for the small school Div.

Pistol Pete....well, heck, come on down....:D...cool story bro...thanks for sharing, and

GO LADY VOLS!

And although the half court style of play was intriguing in its own right, it probably cost a lot of players in the college transition. White's impact did wane once Kim Mulkey arrived--in addition to her already playing alongside all-everything Angela Turner. Throw in Elinor Griffith, Pam Kelly, Janice Lawrence, and Debra Rodman on the inside, and it was easy to become eclipsed.

If you go to youtube, and watch her final game against USC in the finals of the tourney she sure wasn't eclipsed by anyone other than Cheryl Miller, Reggie's big sister.

Last edited:
Also she was selected as the Times Daily player of the year. That is significant since this paper is published in Florence AL, and considering she was only a Frosh. I saw her mother play in the GA TN all star game where she dropped about 18 pts. Karly has more ability than her Mom, but trust me her mother was very good. A future UT player played in that game, and she was the fourth all time scorer in the nation at that time for HS, but I can't remember her name; maybe ya'll can help.

Dang, how do you know so much about 80's La Tech women's bball??

Also she was selected as the Times Daily player of the year. That is significant since this paper is published in Florence AL, and considering she was only a Frosh. I saw her mother play in the GA TN all star game where she dropped about 18 pts. Karly has more ability than her Mom, but trust me her mother was very good. A future UT player played in that game, and she was the fourth all time scorer in the nation at that time for HS, but I can't remember her name; maybe ya'll can help.

When did she play? If it was the late '70's, it was probably Jerrilyn Harper.

Dang, how do you know so much about 80's La Tech women's bball??

La Tech was the vanguard in WB in the late '70's and on into the '80's. Summitt decided that's who/what her teams must resemble in order to eventually win a championship.

Women's basketball was very obscure at that time and challenging to follow. I think my life was measured out from the Street & Smith Preseason Magazine to Parade's end of season AA listings to the next season's cycle.

Reactions: stllvf and mcannon1
Loretto is a small school but them and Summertown have taken over with the vacuum or fall of Wayne County HS and Collinwwod who were the powers in the 90's and early 2000's.
Not sure what happened at both schools but they use to be standing room only when the two schools played as they are about 15 miles apart. David Byrd retired at WCHS and the fall came at that school
but they are trying to recover wth a great explayer as coach.....Molly York.

Reactions: Flovol and mcannon1
Loretto is a small school but them and Summertown have taken over with the vacuum or fall of Wayne County HS and Collinwwod who were the powers in the 90's and early 2000's.
Not sure what happened at both schools but they use to be standing room only when the two schools played as they are about 15 miles apart. David Byrd retired at WCHS and the fall came at that school
but they are trying to recover wth a great explayer as coach.....Molly York.
Yeah, I tuned in to a couple of their games this year when Weathers played against Summertown. You know you are pretty good when the opposite teams announcers not once refer to you by your last name. They always refer to her as Karly.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
La Tech was the vanguard in WB in the late '70's and on into the '80's. Summitt decided that's who/what her teams must resemble in order to eventually win a championship.

Women's basketball was very obscure at that time and challenging to follow. I think my life was measured out from the Street & Smith Preseason Magazine to Parade's end of season AA listings to the next season's cycle.
I was referring to Karly's mom who I believe graduated HS in 90.

La Tech, Old Dominion

Back then it was La Tech and Old Dominion, e'erybody else was just horse axxin' around.

Pretty much....after Immaculata and Delta State did their stuff. Of course, USC briefly grabbed a couple with the McGee twins, Miller, and Cooper. But ODU and La Tech were the most notable nemeses of the Lady Vols early on.

Reactions: creekdipper
good stories from ole timers. at one time I had a box of Smith and Street and for many years women BB recruiting had one page then gradually two. And a librarian at UT maintained a early site on recruitment until it became sufficiently popular that we heard that parents were threatening to sue for not including their daughters.

The LVs couldn't beat La Tech who had superior guard play . I saw the 1983 home USC LV game which was close and in 84 the LVs lost to USC in the finals and Mary Ostrowski outplayed all the USC team until she wore out in the final five minutes. Two games where the LVs lost but to use the cliche they left it all on the floor.

Word on the street had it that Pat did not offer TN players then because TN still played half court; 3 on 3 at each end. On a side note she accidentally threw my hat out the school bus window, I started to cry, but the bus driver backed up at let me get it.

When did Tenn finally move to 5-on-5 play?

Reactions: rockydoc

VN Store

Back