Kansas not taking a wait and see approach

I expect the remaining 8 teams will eventually go after city schools like Memphis, Cincinnati and Houston, maybe they try to get into Florida too. They'll have good basketball but no one will care much about their football. They're going to be a G5 level football conference parading as a P5. They will be way back behind the other 4 money wise.

The issue with Kansas, small population state with stagnant growth, terrible football program, even though they are in the AAU their academics aren't in any way special or exceptional. They nearly lost their AAU status a few years ago.

There's no combination of two teams outside of Notre Dame and one other who would raise Big 10 revenue enough to offset two more shares being taken. Missouri may not do anything well athletically but their state has close to 7 million people.

This should also forever end the Big 10 media rights deal paying more per team than the SEC. It was ridiculous that it did before this. Population trends are not in favor of much of anywhere outside the south right now. The Southeastern states now make up about 40 percent of the total population. If you add the whole sun belt it's 62 percent. The Midwest and Northeast are shrinking and each is down to about 20-25 percent of the population. The last media contract looked like something that was made for 1975 America instead of 2015 America.

Now that college sports are openly about nothing but money, be even more thankful for General Neyland making us a major football brand 90 years ago.

BYU and UCF should be obvious candidates. If they’re not concerned with geological footprints, then Houston would also be obvious.
I would take a hard look at Cincinnati. Gives WV a neighbor. Good market. Good program. Memphis would be a nice bridge too.

I would take a hard look at Cincinnati. Gives WV a neighbor. Good market. Good program. Memphis would be a nice bridge too.
Yeah Cincinnati has been in the Group of 5 for long enough. It's time they joing a Power 5 conference. They're too good of a program to be AAC..

VN Store

Back