Kamal Hadden Appreciation Post

Vols410

This year: 10 catches allowed on 26 targets / 38% completion percentage / 2.46 YPA / 2 INT (1 pick-six) / 0 TD / 5 PBU / 14.6 NFL QBR. Only 2 PI calls and both were against Austin Peay. Pretend those are 15 yard catches and you've got 12/26 for 3.6 YPA.

That's dominant, and if it's not apparent just how dominant, how would y'all feel if Milton had a game where he went 10/26 for 64 yards, 0 TDs, and 2 INTs with a pick six and a 14.6 QBR. How many would say, "Well Milton got a couple PI calls so it's still a good game" lol.

Among CBs with 20+ targets in the country:
1st in NFL QB Rating allowed
2nd in YPA
3rd in coverage rating (PFF)
8th in completion%

He's #1 in the SEC in every one of those categories.

This year: 10 catches allowed on 26 targets / 38% completion percentage / 2.46 YPA / 2 INT (1 pick-six) / 0 TD / 5 PBU / 14.6 NFL QBR. Only 2 PI calls and both were against Austin Peay. Pretend those are 15 yard catches and you've got 12/26 for 3.6 YPA.

That's dominant, and if it's not apparent just how dominant, how would y'all feel if Milton had a game where he went 10/26 for 64 yards, 0 TDs, and 2 INTs with a pick six and a 14.6 QBR. How many would say, "Well Milton got a couple PI calls so it's still a good game" lol.

2nd in YPA
8th in completion%

Regardless of his antics, I was disappointed to hear the boos he received during the lineup announcements. Trust me, I get the frustrations we have had with him at times, especially with South Carolina across the other sideline. However, he is still a Vol and has worked and shown improvement this year.

I feel like for the A&M game, we need to make sure his name is cheered the absolute loudest when announced. We need to show that the fanbase is behind him and this team, and appreciates the effort and isn't giving up on him, since he hasn't given up yet either. We are the best fanbase in the country, lets show that to all our Vols

Wow! Those are some pretty impressive numbers. I guess we are all thinking about that really bad missed tackle in the Florida game. But it is great that he is playing really well.

Reactions: ChiTownVol
you're grouping Hadden haters with Milton supporters?🤔
Not at all. I support both guys. I'm trying to pre-empt the "BUT HE GET'S PI CALLS!" crowd by showing, in the context of QB stats, how it barely effects the overall production.

2nd in YPA
8th in completion%

Are there any numbers that speak to big plays allowed because he wasn't in the right spot or tried to bump someone and assumed they would go down?

Not at all. I support both guys. I'm trying to pre-empt the "BUT HE GET'S PI CALLS!" crowd by showing, in the context of QB stats, how it barely effects the overall production.

Sometimes PI isn’t a bad thing in college. Better to give up 15 yards than 30.

People complain about not turning to look for the ball but he is being coached to play the receivers hands. TN is not the only staff coaching that either. It’s becoming common even at places like UGA.

Sometimes PI isn’t a bad thing in college. Better to give up 15 yards than 30.

People complain about not turning to look for the ball but he is being coached to play the receivers hands. TN is not the only staff coaching that either. It’s becoming common even at places like UGA.
Yup. Some think the right play in every circumstance is to turn and look for the ball, and continue to hit Hadden and the other DBs when they don't. Often, looking back for the ball only gets you burned and it's not the right play.

He's done very well and things have improved, I just want to see him turn around and look for the ball more. His lack of PI calls is great, but that's not gonna get any easier when we get into this next stretch of games and refs will be watching it more.

I just want to see more head turning from him is all. I think he can be MUCH better if he learns to do that consistently.

Now if we can get Tank not to bite so hard and over-pursue the run, we might have a decent secondary. He was in front of the LBers on the play where the USCjr Rb broke the long one.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Hadden is the most boom or bust player we have had in a long time, one minute hes the worst, the next hes doing something awesome, but that is the true nature of playing corner

Reactions: Wireless1
If he ever learns to tackle, he might be ok. Florida game
Granted that play was horrible, but a corner's main responsibility is shutting down a receiver and Hadden has been the most productive in the SEC and top 5 in the nation at that so far this year. Would say he's been better than "ok".

Granted that play was horrible, but a corner's main responsibility is shutting down a receiver and Hadden has been the most productive in the SEC and top 5 in the nation at that so far this year. Would say he's been better than "ok".
The people that bring up the hip bump play never critique the front seven and safety failing to make the play. They instead blame the cornerback in pursuit on the play (who should have been in pursuit with a lower pad level). It really shows who understands the game versus those who react to what sensationally makes sense.

The people that bring up the hip bump play never critique the front seven and safety failing to make the play. They instead blame the cornerback in pursuit on the play (who should have been in pursuit with a lower pad level). It really shows who understands the game versus those who react to what sensationally makes sense.
No doubt.

As ridiculous as that tackle attempt looked - blaming a CB in run support for a big gain between the tackles is like spraining your ankle falling off a ladder and blaming the floor for not being softer.

It was a bad effort all around . Hadden’s stuck out more than others because it was a lackadaisical play that resulted in a touchdown. I’ve been critical of him and it has nothing to do w/ my lack of football intelligence, but questioning his effort and his attitude. Effort and attitude can always be fixed. I thought he played very well Saturday night and his effort was rewarded with that pick 6. I thought he atoned himself for last season’s game against USCjr when it came across that he was more concerned jawing at Beamer than he was not getting torched. If he plays the way he did Saturday we are a different defense .

Reactions: Wireless1
No doubt.

As ridiculous as that tackle attempt looked - blaming a CB in run support for a big gain between the tackles is like spraining your ankle falling off a ladder and blaming the floor for not being softer.
I was mostly upset that instead of tackling, he tried to strip the ball....from the hand that didn't have the ball.

I was mostly upset that instead of tackling, he tried to strip the ball....from the hand that didn't have the ball.
It was positively awful. It was also bad that he chased and instead of diving for the tackle he did a goofy front flip.

Reactions: OptimisticFan

VN Store

Back