Kaela Davis leaving Ga Tech

When we are so thin at the post position in 2016 beyond is it really wise to tie up another scholarship with a guard. Seems to me there isn't a fit with out needs.

Reactions: 3 people
With the 2nd best player in the country in her class, anybody would take the talent if you have the room.
The question for any established, respected, program will not be about talent, it will be about the player/family dynamic fitting into an established program.
If the rumors are true, and I hope they are not because you never would want a child that is trying to mature and be their own decision maker be dominated/influenced by overbearing adults. It will speak volumes on what kind of program is being ran at the school she chooses IF the rumors are true on what is being said.
Again, I hope the rumors are wrong and she/family are great people and just want their daughter to just go out and have fun while playing the game she loves.

I don't have any insight on where Kaela is going but I don't think it's Knoxville. There are 3 teams I suspect will be in the running, but we will just have to wait and see.

What 3 teams are you thinking? I don't believe GT would release her to another ACC school so I am assuming it would have to be an SEC school

I would probably say South Carolina may be 1, possibly Kentucky, not sure of what other schools might tolerate family involvement (although Dawn isnt a slough I think she really wants to win a National Title and needs someone like Kaela at the Guard spot to do so)

What 3 teams are you thinking? I don't believe GT would release her to another ACC school so I am assuming it would have to be an SEC school

I would probably say South Carolina may be 1, possibly Kentucky, not sure of what other schools might tolerate family involvement (although Dawn isnt a slough I think she really wants to win a National Title and needs someone like Kaela at the Guard spot to do so)

Kentucky is interesting as well, but you sort of have a Epps v. Davis issue there and how that translates to team chemistry. Do you push Epps out of the point guard spot for Davis? Can you put Davis in the 2 spot?

Kentucky is interesting as well, but you sort of have a Epps v. Davis issue there and how that translates to team chemistry. Do you push Epps out of the point guard spot for Davis? Can you put Davis in the 2 spot?

All I remember when she played us is 80% of her scores were down low.

I could see UNC coming into play on this one. With losing Diamond and another guard is transferring out ...that would be really interesting to see how that plays out.
I'm surprised USC has scholarships available for her, I thought they were full.

I could see UNC coming into play on this one. With losing Diamond and another guard is transferring out ...that would be really interesting to see how that plays out.
I'm surprised USC has scholarships available for her, I thought they were full.

I doubt she goes to UNC. They are in the ACC and she would have to sit out 2 seasons.

Reactions: 1 person
MD is my quess

I wonder if Brenda Freese would accept a highly rated transfer again? Remember she convinced Sade Wiley-Gatewood to come to Maryland when she decided to transfer for us and it didn't turn out like she expected it, but that would be an intriguing possibility

If she wants to be a lady vol, let here, she would have to sit on the bench and cheer for a year, if she can be a team member from there, follow the rules of conduct, she deserves the chance. If she is a problem, get rid of her, Holly would have an entire year of a future wnba player in practice, and can decide how best to use her talents. It seems like a total win situation, and a huge boost for the team's already stellar recruiting standards. Losing Akhator is not a huge surprise or a deaster. Getting a big with Mercedes having 3 solid years to play isn't going to be easy, plus akhator would have been her back up for 2 years and been done. I see us getting 2 bigs in 2016, possible top 5 players.

Hmmm I wish she would release a list of schools so we had a better understanding of where she might end up. With diamond, it was pretty much known that she was transferring to Tennessee very soon after her decision to leave UNC was announced.

Would love to know how the coaching staff feels about all this, but I'm sure they really have to keep mum until it's all straightened out

I doubt she goes to UNC. They are in the ACC and she would have to sit out 2 seasons.

I don't think that is correct. It is just unlike Diamond she could not be put on scholarship immediately and would have to complete one full academic year and that year would count toward her four years of eligibility before she was put on scholarship. So an intra-conference transfer is very hard financially.

I think she would pair well in the backcourt with Lexie Brown at Maryland, I could also see her at USC or UK but I'm hoping she changes her mind again and come to Tennessee, just leave Momma Davis in Georgia. lol

Wherever she goes I have a feeling she'll be a one and done after sitting her one year.

I think she would pair well in the backcourt with Lexie Brown at Maryland, I could also see her at USC or UK but I'm hoping she changes her mind again and come to Tennessee, just leave Momma Davis in Georgia. lol

Wherever she goes I have a feeling she'll be a one and done after sitting her one year.

If she comes here she could be put on scholarship immediately and redshirt and have two to play with her buddy Diamond.

If she comes here she could be put on scholarship immediately and redshirt and have two to play with her buddy Diamond.

Yes I know she would have two years left if she came here, or pretty much any school outside of the ACC once she sits her one year, but after sitting one year and playing another she should have her degree and she should be illegible for the draft. I can see her foregoing her final year of illegibility to go pro. Esp if Diamond stays, like she's eluded to in the past.

If I'm Warlick, I gauge Diamond's view on Davis and go from there. If Diamond is OK with the idea of playing with Davis, I go after her--but make clear to her and her family that basketball is a team sport, that we are interested in winning a title as a team, and that I will brook no interference. Frankly, my bet is our staff has already made a decision about her or otherwise has an inkling of where Davis might be going. In fact, I don't have all that much confidence that Warlick knows how to integrate a top player into a cohensive offense. She didn't do much with Simmons, and I'm very curious to see how next year's offense performs with DeShields, who, granted, is a better player than Simmons. Will we have chemistry or will be the other four players stand around a lot watching Diamond slice and dice? Having Davis and DeShields on the floor at the same would double the potential and the challenge--could be a coach's dream come true or a nightmare, depending on the skills and personality of the coach.

If I'm Warlick, I gauge Diamond's view on Davis and go from there. If Diamond is OK with the idea of playing with Davis, I go after her--but make clear to her and her family that basketball is a team sport, that we are interested in winning a title as a team, and that I will brook no interference. Frankly, my bet is our staff has already made a decision about her or otherwise has an inkling of where Davis might be going. In fact, I don't have all that much confidence that Warlick knows how to integrate a top player into a cohensive offense. She didn't do much with Simmons, and I'm very curious to see how next year's offense performs with DeShields, who, granted, is a better player than Simmons. Will we have chemistry or will be the other four players stand around a lot watching Diamond slice and dice? Having Davis and DeShields on the floor at the same would double the potential and the challenge--could be a coach's dream come true or a nightmare, depending on the skills and personality of the coach.

Simmons was yanked quite a bit, not enough in my opinion for poor defense and turnovers, and jacking up stupid shots, she never scored, or developed into the player Davis already is.

I can't believe anyone wants Kaela here along with her bat**** crazy mother. Doesn't anyone remember her father getting suspended by the NBA for running into the stands during a game to break up a fight between his wife and one of Obama's staffers? This team doesn't need the dissension and distraction that would arrive with Kaela's dysfunctional family. In a year, we'd be kicking ourselves for inflicting that on the team when what we really needed was a couple of quality posts anyway. Kaela would do herself a favor by finding a team on the west coast and leaving her family behind.

Reactions: 5 people
I can't believe anyone wants Kaela here along with her bat**** crazy mother. Doesn't anyone remember her father getting suspended by the NBA for running into the stands during a game to break up a fight between his wife and one of Obama's staffers? This team doesn't need the dissension and distraction that would arrive with Kaela's dysfunctional family. In a year, we'd be kicking ourselves for inflicting that on the team when what we really needed was a couple of quality posts anyway. Kaela would do herself a favor by finding a team on the west coast and leaving her family behind.

I don't remember hearing much drama going on with Kaela's parents while she was at Georgia tech. I def think we should take a gamble on her if that's what she wants. Adding a player like her to what we already have could potentially put us a level above even Uconn and to me that's exciting stuff. if I remember right, even after she decommitted from us and opened up her recruitment, we still were in her top three final choices. The other two were Duke and of course g tech. Tennessee was and probably still is her dream school and Candace Parker is someone adores, so I think it's highly likely and probable that she transfers here.

Last edited:

Simmons couldn't and can't be compared to Davis in basketball abilities. No offense, but Davis is elite physically. Simmons isn't.

Simmons couldn't and can't be compared to Davis in basketball abilities. No offense, but Davis is elite physically. Simmons isn't.

I loved watching speedy play, but she def was a streaky player. Could play all American type ball one game then have a really bad next game

I don't remember hearing much drama going on with Kaela's parents while she was at Georgia tech. I def think we should take a gamble on her if that's what she wants. Adding a player like her to what we already have could potentially put us a level above even Uconn and to me that's exciting stuff. if I remember right, even after she decommitted from us and opened up her recruitment, we still were in her top three final choices. The other two were Duke and of course g tech. Tennessee was and probably still is her dream school and Candace Parker is someone adores, so I think it's highly likely and probable that she transfers here.

Kaela just had a final two: Georgia Tech and Tennessee. Duke, UCLA, Georgia, and Maryland were on her extended list.

All this discussion is basically moot. I'd be highly surprised if Holly takes her if she wants to come. I don't think y'all truly realize how much baggage she drags around with her. She went to three different schools in HS and she's working on her second college. It truly is a shame. She's a helluva player and physically talented to the max. But watching her ... she doesn't seem to have the passion that she had early in her high school days. Granted, she never had the start persona or outward passion for the game that Diamond has always had.

Holly isn't in a position where she has to deal with Kendra's foolishness. It's really that simple. But TBH ... I'm not sure any coach out there is, either. But Holly truly doesn't need Kaela. She didn't "need" Kaela when she was recruiting her in high school but she truly doesn't now in every sense of the word.

Yes I know she would have two years left if she came here, or pretty much any school outside of the ACC once she sits her one year, but after sitting one year and playing another she should have her degree and she should be illegible for the draft. I can see her foregoing her final year of illegibility to go pro. Esp if Diamond stays, like she's eluded to in the past.

The most amusing post of the year, so far.

VN Store

Back