Justin Powell leaving UT

Probably because he’s sucked ass in this system and had 0 confidence. He needs to get his head straight first wherever he lands.

LMAO...weak sauce. You are talking about the same system where SV thrives and 2 true freshman in both Chandler and ZZ excelled?!?! Yeah...let's blame the system and not the player who had AMPLE oppy to perform and simply did not do so.

My biggest complaint with Powell was never that he couldn't make shots. It was that he turned down semi-open looks and didn't work hard to get them. It was almost as if he had to be completely unguarded and wide-open to even consider letting it fly. I'm not sure why. He hit a more than acceptable amount of them across the entire season when he did.

I wish this kid the best of luck and I hope whatever is happening on the court between his ears gets fixed. He has plenty of talent, it did not show here. I want him to be successful wherever he goes. He's still a kid and 1 year (or even 10) doesn't write his whole story.

My biggest complaint with Powell was never that he couldn't make shots. It was that he turned down semi-open looks and didn't work hard to get them. It was almost as if he had to be completely unguarded and wide-open to even consider letting it fly. I'm not sure why. He hit a more than acceptable amount of them across the entire season when he did.
. There was an interview early in the season where Powell said that Barnes wanted him to be a spot-up shooter, not create plays. I believe Powell moved fairly well to get open, and from being at the games, he did move a lot without the ball. I think he was confused about what Barnes’ definition of “open” was. There are wide open shots, open shots, questionably open shots, and contested shots. Powell was torn, in my opinion, on what Barnes’ considered a good shot. There were a number of shots where he was ”iffy” open in his mind, and I think his dilemma became when to shoot.

Reactions: Volfan1000
. There was an interview early in the season where Powell said that Barnes wanted him to be a spot-up shooter, not create plays. I believe Powell moved fairly well to get open, and from being at the games, he did move a lot without the ball. I think he was confused about what Barnes’ definition of “open” was. There are wide open shots, open shots, questionably open shots, and contested shots. Powell was torn, in my opinion, on what Barnes’ considered a good shot. There were a number of shots where he was ”iffy” open in his mind, and I think his dilemma became when to shoot.

I hate to say it, but that mentality is a problem when your high level talent you bring to the court is shooting and don't do much else well. Most shooters have a mentality that they are going to fire away because that's what they do. When you have the confidence and make a bunch, the coach won't be upset.

Reactions: Vols4us
I hate to say it, but that mentality is a problem when your high level talent you bring to the court is shooting and don't do much else well. Most shooters have a mentality that they are going to fire away because that's what they do. When you have the confidence and make a bunch, the coach won't be upset.
And when you miss early in the season, it can set your course for playing time the rest of the season.

Reactions: vol94 and VolGee4
I think that request from Barnes was in relation to the role he played at Auburn, which was a play-making PG. I have a real hard time believing that Barnes said that and his intention in saying it was that you go to a spot and we'll scheme you open. Barnes is constantly barking about guys fighting to get open looks, and it's why he takes pride in the fact that Vescovi is sprinting up to 7 miles in a game to get open looks.

I think that request from Barnes was in relation to the role he played at Auburn, which was a play-making PG. I have a real hard time believing that Barnes said that and his intention in saying it was that you go to a spot and we'll scheme you open. Barnes is constantly barking about guys fighting to get open looks, and it's why he takes pride in the fact that Vescovi is sprinting up to 7 miles in a game to get open looks.
A spot-up shooter does have to be in the flow, yes. I’m not saying go to a spot and stand there. But, Powell said that Barnes didn’t want him to create with the ball as he did at Auburn. Powell even said he was good with that. No one worked like Vescovi getting open, but the idea or notion people have that Powell was a slacker is ridiculous.

A spot-up shooter does have to be in the flow, yes. I’m not saying go to a spot and stand there. But, Powell said that Barnes didn’t want him to create with the ball as he did at Auburn. Powell even said he was good with that. No one worked like Vescovi getting open, but the idea or notion people have that Powell was a slacker is ridiculous.
Yeah, I'm not calling him a slacker. I just think he passed up some open shots that were available, and he didn't work particularly hard to get other open looks. If he isn't shooting, he isn't scoring, and he clearly didn't play for his defensive prowess, so he became a liability on both ends of the floor, then, and his playing time suffered as a result.

Another thing I and a few others have mentioned is that he just never looked like he was having fun playing basketball. Always very stoic and almost somber looking. At the end of the day, it's a game. Go enjoy it or move on to something/somewhere that you will enjoy.

I watched this kid time and again pass up good looks. Dribble the ball. He was a glorified swing passer who wanted a much larger window to shoot.

His probably was that he didn’t take his shot in flow. And when he didn’t, it interrupted everything else.

Shooters need to shoot.

Good luck

Reactions: NighthawkVol
And you keep having fun watching Barnes coached teams underachieve in March.
Oh your talking about that single elimination tournament where 67 teams lose, and only one team wins? The majority of teams in the tournament “underachieve” with your logic. The tourney is literally a machine that spits out losers, and only makes one winner a year. And then you add on top of that, that it’s known for upsets. I don’t know if you know this, but it’s literally called March Madness for a reason. The majority of teams in the tourney aren’t happy with their march. Tbh a conference tourney championship, and a second round exit isn’t under achieving in March at Tennessee. I love the basketball program more than any other sports team in life, but I’m not ignorant to think we’re Kentucky or Duke. All it takes is one tourney run, to change the narrative. All the things you say now about Barnes was said about Tony Bennet, and Tony had the most underachieving March of all time when UVA lost to 16 seed UMBC. But guess what they did literally the next year? Won the whole damn thing.

And not to go on a rant on you, but this what I call football mentality. I never see people who grew up watching basketball, and who were around the game, think like this, but people who grew up watching football definitely do. If you have a great team in football, you can oppose your will on people and pretty much over power teams with lesser talent every time. Basketball isn’t football, you’re shooting a small, round ball into a small, round hole. Look at what just happened in game 7, to the number 1 seed suns, in the nba playoffs. Basketball is a game of runs and a game of hot and cold streaks. And it’s obvious you don’t understand that since you keep hyping Powell up, because he had a 12-14 game stretch against nobody, and put up good numbers.

And like I know I need to stop, but I haven’t gotten a lot of sleep the past 3 days and I’m feeling on one. I hate bringing race up, honestly my least favorite thing to do or talk about, but why is it always the football fans that latch on to who ever the “great white hope” guard is at the time. Like I’m so glad Mac Mcclung isn’t playing in college any more. It was very obvious from day one he was inefficient at scoring, and needed alot of shots to put up numbers. But god there were so many people riled up, pissed off at Barnes, when we didn’t try to get him like 3 different times lol. There are cold ass white boys all through out college basketball, just watch the game. You’ll figure out who they are, and you’ll realize Powell’s got a lot of skill and mental development to do.

And i hope he figures it out and has a great career. I’ve just seen this movie too many times and they don’t normally figure it out. When you quit and move teams as much as Powell has in his life, that doesn’t speak very well about his resilience. And that’s the main thing that kid needs, to get to where he wants to be one day.

Ok I’m getting off my soap box now. Need more sleep to be less conflictive 😂.

IMO the bar was set too high by fans for JP and maybe the people around him due to him playing a weak 10 or so OOC games @ Auburn before concussion vs teams like TX South, APP State, UCF, etc...it was in essence fools gold. He did play Gonzaga but they got beat by 23 & JP had 7 points in 22 minutes in that game. In all the other games I think he landed in double digits but it was not P5 comp. I think if he had stayed by graduation he would have had a key role as a starter.

IMO the bar was set too high by fans for JP and maybe the people around him due to him playing a weak 10 or so OOC games @ Auburn before concussion vs teams like TX South, APP State, UCF, etc...it was in essence fools gold. He did play Gonzaga but they got beat by 23 & JP had 7 points in 22 minutes in that game. In all the other games I think he landed in double digits but it was not P5 comp. I think if he had stayed by graduation he would have had a key role as a starter.
He also dropped 26 against Memphis. I believe he shot nearly 60% in high school.

Powell's freshman year was somewhat "fools gold" in my opinion. He played during the first half of the season mostly when non-conference games arent near as difficult or scouting reports arent as accurate. Yes he had good stats but it was for a short season. I doubt as the year went on, he'd averaged double figures the rest of the way once teams began to focus more on him. Very limited ability to create his own shot. JMO

Reactions: Cosmo Kramer
Powell's freshman year was somewhat "fools gold" in my opinion. He played during the first half of the season mostly when non-conference games arent near as difficult or scouting reports arent as accurate. Yes he had good stats but it was for a short season. I doubt as the year went on, he'd averaged double figures the rest of the way once teams began to focus more on him. Very limited ability to create his own shot. JMO

Much different level of athleticism of the players guarding him in the SEC

I think there is some credence to this, and yet, still, he seemed to play with much more aggression and confidence in that 10-game span with Auburn than he ever showed at Tennessee. He played a different position and was asked to do different things in that role, but the general level of confidence just wasn't ever there the way it was in Auburn.

I think there is some credence to this, and yet, still, he seemed to play with much more aggression and confidence in that 10-game span with Auburn than he ever showed at Tennessee. He played a different position and was asked to do different things in that role, but the general level of confidence just wasn't ever there the way it was in Auburn.
That was on a terrible Auburn team though. That team lost to UCF, which only won 11 games that year. And that loss was before the injury to Powell.

That was on a terrible Auburn team though. That team lost to UCF, which only won 11 games that year. And that loss was before the injury to Powell.
Certainly they were bad in hindsight. I’m not sure the team being good, or not, really affects the level of aggression or personal confidence that a particular individual plays with, though, particularly 10 games into the season when their story hadn’t been entirely written.

He just looked like a completely different player from his stint at Auburn to his year at Tennessee. Just so drastic.

He had a really good game against Memphis his freshman year, and put up a lot of points against a few awful teams. He has a really nice looking shot, but I think he's finding out it takes a lot more than that to find sustained success at this level. It would help him out to stay in 1 spot for more than a season. If he dedicates himself in the weight room and goes 100% on defense, he could grow into a really good player.

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back