Justin Powell leaving UT

Will he have to sit a year? Was his transfer to Tennessee his free year?

Unless he’s graduated or moves down a level, I’m pretty sure that he has to sit for a year. Or he can play immediately if there’s a family hardship to use in an appeal and he transfers close to his home (if he has one after being nomadic for the better part of a decade).

I had such high hopes for him. Thought he was going to be the lethal 3pt shooter we seem to always be missing. Oh well.

Vescovi got most of his playing time..ZZ blossomed.JJJ wasn’t coming out on top of Powell not looking to score it was bound to happen. Our starting 5 last year just meshed nicely together..Barnes earlier in the year tried Powell and vescovi playing together in the starting 5 to have two lethal shooters on the court but it just wasn’t working.Powell didn’t have the dog in him like the other 5..I don’t blame Barnes at all

Doesn't he have to sit out a year this is his second transfer and he is just a sophomore. I not overly concerned about him leaving never looked to be the answer from the perimeter to tentative a player.

This is probably a dumb question, but how exactly does the "one-time" transfer work?

Will Powell be able to play somewhere right away without sitting?

This is probably a dumb question, but how exactly does the "one-time" transfer work?

Will Powell be able to play somewhere right away without sitting?
Since he already used his one time transfer to go from Auburn to UT, no, he will have to sit out a year unless he goes to a D2 school or overseas

Not what I would consider his replacement.

I thought he was brought in due to the lack of consistent perimeter offense during the prior season, allowing other teams to overload the middle. Instant offense off the bench like Steve Kerr or Downtown Freddie Brown to name a couple. Powell never displayed that "shooters got to shoot" confidence that those guys had.

Any chance we try to bring Powell back if we don’t hit on a PG? From what I’m seeing the school that’s contacting him the most is ETSU. Have to think he wouldn’t want to take that big of a step down.

Any chance we try to bring Powell back if we don’t hit on a PG? From what I’m seeing the school that’s contacting him the most is ETSU. Have to think he wouldn’t want to take that big of a step down.
I think Barnes is done with him. He probably won’t have any P5 offers since he will have to sit out.

Reactions: UneducatedGuess
Can’t blame Powell. Had to work for shots vs plays set for him to catch & shoot or drive and dish.

Powell will end up being a player elsewhere. Wait and see.

You don’t want open looks from a 40-45% 3 point shooter?
Powell has never done that for a full season. 10 games isn’t a big enough sample size IMO. In a full season he shot 38%. Which is solid, but a very far cry from 45%. I’d venture not many players shoot 45% from three over a full season. In fact, only two guys did it last year.

Powell has never done that for a full season. 10 games isn’t a big enough sample size IMO. In a full season he shot 38%. Which is solid, but a very far cry from 45%. I’d venture not many players shoot 45% from three over a full season. In fact, only two guys did it last year.
He’s the best pure shooter (formerly) on the team and Vescovi is elite…

VN Store

Back