Just how talented is the 2017 Vols roster?

D4H is the poster child of the opioid epidemic.

Alabama's recent teams, which have won ALOT, have not had 13 players drafted.

Put down the dope.

Alabama typically doesn't have great NFL talent. LSU has usually put better players into the league. Saban is just the best coach ever and gets the most out of his players.

Reactions: 1 person
So 2004 OSU set the record with 14 players drafted. But we are going to come within 1 of that? I dont even know if I can laugh at this.

So 2004 OSU set the record with 14 players drafted. But we are going to come within 1 of that? I dont even know if I can laugh at this.

Butch Jones is great at evaluating talent. He has a knack of attracting NFL caliber players even if he doesn't always get the most out of them in college.

Plus winning the national title this season should help boost our players NFL stock.

Butch Jones is great at evaluating talent. He has a knack of attracting NFL caliber players even if he doesn't always get the most out of them in college.

Plus winning the national title this season should help boost our players NFL stock.

Keep it coming. Gold....pure gold

I saw this article the other day by an analyst on NFL.com. His twitter is listed in the article if you're interested in comparing notes with him. He lists the players to watch on the teams he's ranked. We didn't make the list for some reason. Like you say, after we win the National title this year, we'll probably get on the post season list. Just got to earn it on the field. FWIW, from a talent perspective and according the the public recruiting services I think we have at least a top 20 roster - at least on paper.

Editor's note: NFL.com analyst Lance Zierlein is previewing the 2017 college football season by counting down the 25 teams with the most NFL-caliber talent, concluding today with teams ranked 1-5. Click through the tabs above to see the rest of the rankings.

In compiling this list of the most talented college teams, I weighed each team's roster with an emphasis on identifying players who are likely to be draftees in 2018, or in future years. Teams with prospects who are among the most talented in the game were bolstered in the rankings.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...cfb-teams-with-most-nfl-talent-in-2017-nos-15

1. Ohio State
2. Alabama
3. Clemson
4. Washington
5. USC
6. FSU
7. Florida
8. LSU
9. Michigan
10. Auburn
11. Notre Dame
12. Georgia
13. Miami
14. Penn State
15. Wisconsin
16. Oklahoma
17. Oklahoma State
18. Arkansas
19. Texas
20. Northwestern
21. West Virginia
22. Washington State
23. Virginia Tech
24. Oregon
25. Stanford

The amount of NFL caliber talent still left on this roster is being severely underestimated. I know the media is running with the fact that we lost 6 guys to the NFL as a major reason for why we might be in for a down year. Well think again. I think we will have significantly more than 6 guys drafted next year. And the NFL draft train doesn't stop there cause we still have talent left on the roster that will also be well represented in the 2019 draft and beyond.

2018 Potential Draftees
(Offense)
QB Quinten Dormady (Jr.) - 1st round
RB John Kelly (Jr.) - 2nd round
WR Jauan Jennings (Jr.) - 2nd round
TE Ethan Wolf (Sr.) - 3rd round
OL Jashon Robertson (Sr.) - 4th round

(Defense)
DE Jonathan Kongbo (RS Jr.) - 1st round
DT Kendal Vickers (RS Sr.) - 3rd round
LB Darrin Kirkland Jr. (Jr.) - 2nd round
CB Justin Martin (Sr.) - 1st round
CB Emmanuel Moseley (Sr.) - 6th round
S Todd Kelly Jr. (Sr.) - 4th round

(Special Teams)
P Trevor Daniel (RS Sr.) - 6th round
KR Evan Berry (Sr.) - 7th round

2019 Potential Draftees
(Defense)
DE Darrell Taylor (RS Jr.)
DE Kyle Phillips (Sr.)
DT Kahlil McKenzie (Sr.)
DT Shy Tuttle (Sr.)
LB Daniel Bituli (Jr.)
LB Austin Smith (RS Jr.)
CB/S Rashaan Gaulden (RS Sr.)
S Nigel Warrior (Jr.)
S Micah Abernathy (Sr.)

THIS ROSTER IS ABSOLUTELY LOADED WITH NFL TALENT. We could have 22 players drafted over the next 2 years. 13 in 2018 and 9 in 2019. IMO the NFL talent seems to be heavily concentrated on the defensive side of the ball. And this does coincides with everything we have been hearing from in camp about the defense dominating the scrimmages.

giphy.gif

I saw this article the other day by an analyst on NFL.com. His twitter is listed in the article if you're interested in comparing notes with him. He lists the players to watch on the teams he's ranked. We didn't make the list for some reason. Like you say, after we win the National title this year, we'll probably get on the post season list. Just got to earn it on the field. FWIW, from a talent perspective and according the the public recruiting services I think we have at least a top 20 roster - at least on paper.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...cfb-teams-with-most-nfl-talent-in-2017-nos-15

1. Ohio State
2. Alabama
3. Clemson
4. Washington
5. USC
6. FSU
7. Florida
8. LSU
9. Michigan
10. Auburn
11. Notre Dame
12. Georgia
13. Miami
14. Penn State
15. Wisconsin
16. Oklahoma
17. Oklahoma State
18. Arkansas
19. Texas
20. Northwestern
21. West Virginia
22. Washington State
23. Virginia Tech
24. Oregon
25. Stanford

Lance Zierlein is the farthest thing from a "draft expert" you could find. That guy is a complete moron. He knows nothing.

The fact Tennessee isn't on that list will look laughable in a few months.

Last edited:
10,250 posts... either a seriously patient troll job or the textbook definition of "ignorance is bliss."

Either way, bravo for continuing to bait VN into responding.

No way UT has that many drafted in 18 or 19. They won't have 13 drafted adding both years together.

When he committed to Tennessee, didn't Kongbo state he would only declare early if we won the national title? Not that he couldn't be persuaded

Lance Zierlein is the farthest thing from a "draft expert" you could find. That guy is a complete moron. He knows nothing.

The fact Tennessee isn't on that list will look laughable in a few months.

I can think of at least one thing that is further from a draft expert than Zierlein.

We have a few good players but there is no shame in not being drafted first round. Anything 1-4 is great for them. The one's you put between rounds 3-7 are a very very longshot though.

Jennings is not a 2nd round pick no shade but I think Jennings would have been a better free safety..Dont sleep on Justin Martin he could be a high pick

The amount of NFL caliber talent still left on this roster is being severely underestimated. I know the media is running with the fact that we lost 6 guys to the NFL as a major reason for why we might be in for a down year. Well think again. I think we will have significantly more than 6 guys drafted next year. And the NFL draft train doesn't stop there cause we still have talent left on the roster that will also be well represented in the 2019 draft and beyond.

2018 Potential Draftees
(Offense)
QB Quinten Dormady (Jr.) - 1st round
RB John Kelly (Jr.) - 2nd round
WR Jauan Jennings (Jr.) - 2nd round
TE Ethan Wolf (Sr.) - 3rd round
OL Jashon Robertson (Sr.) - 4th round

(Defense)
DE Jonathan Kongbo (RS Jr.) - 1st round
DT Kendal Vickers (RS Sr.) - 3rd round
LB Darrin Kirkland Jr. (Jr.) - 2nd round
CB Justin Martin (Sr.) - 1st round
CB Emmanuel Moseley (Sr.) - 6th round
S Todd Kelly Jr. (Sr.) - 4th round

(Special Teams)
P Trevor Daniel (RS Sr.) - 6th round
KR Evan Berry (Sr.) - 7th round

2019 Potential Draftees
(Defense)
DE Darrell Taylor (RS Jr.)
DE Kyle Phillips (Sr.)
DT Kahlil McKenzie (Sr.)
DT Shy Tuttle (Sr.)
LB Daniel Bituli (Jr.)
LB Austin Smith (RS Jr.)
CB/S Rashaan Gaulden (RS Sr.)
S Nigel Warrior (Jr.)
S Micah Abernathy (Sr.)

THIS ROSTER IS ABSOLUTELY LOADED WITH NFL TALENT. We could have 22 players drafted over the next 2 years. 13 in 2018 and 9 in 2019. IMO the NFL talent seems to be heavily concentrated on the defensive side of the ball. And this does coincides with everything we have been hearing from in camp about the defense dominating the scrimmages.

Quick question. You said last year that Coleman Thomas was the best center in the country and an eventual first round/early round pick.

Now that he's not even the best center on his own team and can't crack the starting lineup on a very suspect OL, is he still the best center in the country and an early round pick or what? And if not, who's fault is it?......understanding that your evaluation was and remains 100% correct but somebody else just dropped the ball.....who was it?

Reactions: 2 people
To be fair...not sure he would actually do much worse than they have done. But that's not really a compliment.

Uhhhh, he would do much, much worse. He'd have Hogan as their starting qb, Kelvin Taylor as their running back, Marquez North at wideout, Coleman Thomas starting at center, and he wouldn't have touched Derek Barnett with a 10 foot pole on draft day.....just a few choice personnel decisions he'd make.

VN Store

Back