Just hire Steele

Sin City Vol

Just make Steele the DC and move on. The longer we drag this out and get turned down by position coaches for the DC position the worse it looks. It's embarrassing as a program that the damn LB coach at Ohio St doesn't want a huge pay raise and promotion to a major P5 school

Just make Steele the DC and move on. The longer we drag this out and get turned down by position coaches for the DC position the worse it looks. It's embarrassing as a program that the damn LB coach at Ohio St doesn't want a huge pay raise and promotion to a major P5 school
The worse it looks? Who gives a damn how it looks anymore? We can’t look much worse than we have. Get the best DC you can. If Heupel doesn’t want to trust a backstabber like Steele that’s fine

[QUOTE="Vato, post: 19499673, member: 49712"]Perhaps his D is not compatible with the O that CJH runs. If it was, he would probably already be named. Let the coach make the decision good or bad.[/QUOTE]

Lots of "experts" are saying this

Maybe some people will start to realize there's more to it than just throwing money at a coach and thinking he'll accept.

We're not an attractive job right now. Dysfunctional admin. Unknown sanctions. And I wonder how much having to be a defensive coordinator under a Heupel quick scoring offense may turn away some DCs. That will put a lot of pressure on the defense and might make a defensive coordinator look bad if his defense is always on the field.

The worse it looks? Who gives a damn how it looks anymore? We can’t look much worse than we have. Get the best DC you can. If Heupel doesn’t want to trust a backstabber like Steele that’s fine
We just offered 1.5 million to a guy who has never been a DC.. that's not the best DC we can or maybe it is...hell this program is so disfunctional.

Reactions: volfan8 and Spawn
[QUOTE="Vato, post: 19499673, member: 49712"]Perhaps his D is not compatible with the O that CJH runs. If it was, he would probably already be named. Let the coach make the decision good or bad.

Lots of "experts" are saying this[/QUOTE]
Apparently the coach thinks this too or Steele would be out there.

Reactions: JVol76V2
Steele DOES NOT WANT the DC job. He’s getting DC buy-out money from Auburn to be an assistant at UT. Every dollar of salary we pay him only reduces his AU buy out, so it’s not like he’ll make any more money for taking a DC position.

If you were making CEO money to be a stock boy, would you give that up?

Ya, I don't get this. We are the only people paying attention to this DC search. Saying this is embarrassing to the program is significantly overestimating how much anyone else in the country cares about our search for a coaching staff.

Steele is a great coach and recruiter but his defense does not fit CJH's air raid offense. Steele's philosophy works well with an offense that is more conservative. Air raid needs a hyper aggressive D that can force turnovers. CJH's offensive is by no means a clock burner. The defense must operate in the same manner for time of possession to work in our favor.

I don't see CJH having much success here at all. Can't even make a DC hire with one sitting across the hall from him. Buckle up cause the next three years are going to be rough. Dooley 2.0.

Come August, who we hired will be a lot more important than how long we took to do it.

We just offered 1.5 million to a guy who has never been a DC.. that's not the best DC we can or maybe it is...hell this program is so disfunctional.
I won’t argue with you bc I mostly agree. I’m just saying if Heupel isn’t comfortable with Steele take as long as he needs to. I think Steele is a good DC but sometimes schemes don’t mesh well together.

Reactions: VolDorado
The only people stressing out over this is some of you on this site. Heupel nor White appear to be concerned about the timing. As long as he gets who he believes he needs by the time spring practice starts, all is good. It would appease a lot the fan base to have one now but that is not Heupel's objective with this hire.

We live in a crazy time. Not a smart move on Armstrongs IMO. Come here and be successful you're a head coach by 40 years old, come here and fail you bank a few million.

Reactions: Lurker

VN Store

Back