Julian Phillips - any chance he stays?

The nba drafts players based on potential and athleticism.

I don't think he would be drafted however because he has been very unproductive this season. I can see a team picking him up as a free agent, but he's definitely not ready

He 100% needs to return next year.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
He's had all year to show what he can do. He's not shown out--period, end of story.

Nobody shows out in this offense. It is just a poorly run offense. Theres no plays drawn up to get players looks. There's no adjustments to take advantage of player strengths. We complain that we never see guys driving it to the rim, but we don't have an offense that allows for that. Its just lazy motion.

I wonder how he'd look playing for a coach that cared about offense.
His shot is anemic.
He can't get to the rim because he is woefully thin and absent of strength.
And he handles the ball like it was greased with hydraulic fluid.

What part of any of that is blamed on the offensive system we play? Blame Barnes for a lot of things, but Phillips's lack of contribution in our offense isn't one of them. He isn't physically ready to even handle middling NCAA teams, regardless of system. The NBA will eat him alive if that's where he thinks he needs to be, next year. He's used to getting by on athleticism, but he can't contribute much playing against grown men who are 2-3 years older than him and far more physically developed.

IMHO that young man has quite a bit of work on his overall game before he should even consider a NBA career. He needs to get in the gym and work on the weights and then he needs work on handling the ball. Has talent but to be successful in the NBA they only pay big bucks for production. His game is not ready for that now!

IMHO that young man has quite a bit of work on his overall game before he should even consider a NBA career. He needs to get in the gym and work on the weights and then he needs work on handling the ball. Has talent but to be successful in the NBA they only pay big bucks for production. His game is not ready for that now!
He might be one to follow JJJ's path. Not sure he's a 5 star player.

Early in the season Barnes raved about his attitude and work ethic for a freshman. If that’s true then he will be hitting the weights hard and should come back next year improved. Potential is high, just needs to develop.

Jmo, unlike our recent one & dones, I think it would be in his best interest to play another year in college. Hopefully I'm completely wrong for having this concern, but if he does decide to stay in school, I could see him possibly transferring. I don't think that would help UT in any way if that hypothetical scenario were to happen. Again, hopefully I'm being dumb for having that concern.
I want like half of a Bruin.

Reactions: cncchris33
Nobody shows out in this offense. It is just a poorly run offense. Theres no plays drawn up to get players looks. There's no adjustments to take advantage of player strengths. We complain that we never see guys driving it to the rim, but we don't have an offense that allows for that. It’s just lazy motion.

The heavy thinkers seem to lose an additional thirty IQ points whenever we get bad news. Bone drove the lane, Grant drove and backed people down the lane, Chandler drove, ZZ drove, Mashack drove. Even Fulky drove the middle from the high post. There’s nothing wrong with the offense, or the potential to push the middle. We had too many injuries this year, and a lineup that wasn’t deep enough to weather it. Phillips had a lot of promise. He peaked in November, hurt a hand and a wrist and then a hip. He got way too timid by the end and couldn’t hold the ball anymore. That’s not the offense.

The heavy thinkers seem to lose an additional thirty IQ points whenever we get bad news. Bone drove the lane, Grant drove and backed people down the lane, Chandler drove, ZZ drove, Mashack drove. Even Fulky drove the middle from the high post. There’s nothing wrong with the offense, or the potential to push the middle. We had too many injuries this year, and a lineup that wasn’t deep enough to weather it. Phillips had a lot of promise. He peaked in November, hurt a hand and a wrist and then a hip. He got way too timid by the end and couldn’t hold the ball anymore. That’s not the offense.
dd0.png

Very true. All you have to do is research the offense from 2018-2019. There is a YouTube video that broke down our offense, and it shows how Bone ran it with Grant’s duck ins, Bowden’s pin downs, and how Schofield worked within it. So, to say that Barnes’ offense is generally bad is just lazy.

Very true. All you have to do is research the offense from 2018-2019. There is a YouTube video that broke down our offense, and it shows how Bone ran it with Grant’s duck ins, Bowden’s pin downs, and how Schofield worked within it. So, to say that Barnes’ offense is generally bad is just lazy.
If Dillione and ZZ can handle the PG like Bone we’re gonna be in great shape

It's not just lazy. It's ignorant. The offensive system puts players in position to get quality shots. The player's must be able to take advantage of those situations. And they must knock down the shots when they get them.

VN Store

Back