Julian Phillips - any chance he stays?

He is currently projected to be an early 2nd round pick @ #36. His plan was to be a one and done player, but I think another yr would improve his draft status. If I was a betting man, I’d say he leaves if he’s told he will be an early 2nd rounder.

Nowhere ready for the NBA He needs at least one more year if not two

that doesn't matter anymore....it's all about the money; any amount & it's hard to blame them for pursuing it. There needs to be a 'minor' league for these athletes who do not care about getting a free education. They are keeping others from getting that opportunity IMHO.

that doesn't matter anymore....it's all about the money; any amount & it's hard to blame them for pursuing it. There needs to be a 'minor' league for these athletes who do not care about getting a free education. They are keeping others from getting that opportunity IMHO.
There is a minor league. It’s called the NBA G-league and something called ignite if I’m not mistaken. Also, NIL has changed the dynamic of leaving early quite a bit. If Phillips came back next year there’s a very good chance he makes more in NIL than he does as a late 2nd round draft pick.

Phillips to me is someone who would prolly bulk up with another offseason with Barnes and likely be a very good player. If we have this mass exodus, there is argument that Phillips and edwards would be feature players next year given ZZ’s injury.

He is currently projected to be an early 2nd round pick @ #36. His plan was to be a one and done player, but I think another yr would improve his draft status. If I was a betting man, I’d say he leaves if he’s told he will be an early 2nd rounder.
I Mentioned this and was grilled, saying his plan has never to be a one and done. My hope was that he’d leave no doubt. That is, he’d have a great year and go pro. He hasnt had a great year. He’s been given an inordinate amount of minutes, which makes his numbers appear better than they really are. He doesn’t get bench corrected like the rest of his teammates. On offense, He looks clumsy at times, even when he seems to have a clear drive to the basket. His ball handling is suspect. 2nd round in the NBA isn’t what it is in the NFL. In fact, it’s very low percentage of even getting signed.

Mashack brings more as a defender and is at least more aggressive. I get that potential is the big word, but I don’t see it with Phillips. He has good length, but he doesn’t appear to have anywhere near the athleticism of UTs most recent 5 stars. Keon and Jayden were much better raw athletes and scorers, just not as long. Chandler’s quickness and ball skills were NBA level.

He has certainly not lived up to the NIL deal he’s getting. If he comes back, that’s fine, but I’m genuinely just not that enchanted with his game.

Watch him have a break out tourney and average 15 and 8, LOL. I think Barnes would be better served to recruit the next rung down where you know you’ll have time to develop and get at least three years. If Phillips leaves, he will be quickly forgotten by the Tennessee fan. Especially if we exit early from the tourney.

I’m a lot more excited about what Mashack will look like next year than I am Phillips (should he return). Players liken Mashack, who steadily improve, tend to really hit stride in year three.

If you have an NBA dream and have a decent shot a player is better off going pro as soon as possible. Phillips is probably gone.

Reactions: wmcovol
I hope his draft analysis recommends him to put more arch on his shot. It would be even better if he uses that advice in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
I Mentioned this and was grilled, saying his plan has never to be a one and done. My hope was that he’d leave no doubt. That is, he’d have a great year and go pro. He hasnt had a great year. He’s been given an inordinate amount of minutes, which makes his numbers appear better than they really are. He doesn’t get bench corrected like the rest of his teammates. On offense, He looks clumsy at times, even when he seems to have a clear drive to the basket. His ball handling is suspect. 2nd round in the NBA isn’t what it is in the NFL. In fact, it’s very low percentage of even getting signed.

Mashack brings more as a defender and is at least more aggressive. I get that potential is the big word, but I don’t see it with Phillips. He has good length, but he doesn’t appear to have anywhere near the athleticism of UTs most recent 5 stars. Keon and Jayden were much better raw athletes and scorers, just not as long. Chandler’s quickness and ball skills were NBA level.

He has certainly not lived up to the NIL deal he’s getting. If he comes back, that’s fine, but I’m genuinely just not that enchanted with his game.

Watch him have a break out tourney and average 15 and 8, LOL. I think Barnes would be better served to recruit the next rung down where you know you’ll have time to develop and get at least three years. If Phillips leaves, he will be quickly forgotten by the Tennessee fan. Especially if we exit early from the tourney.

I’m a lot more excited about what Mashack will look like next year than I am Phillips (should he return). Players liken Mashack, who steadily improve, tend to really hit stride in year three.

The flaw in your argument is the way you fawn over Mashack in your current description of him while ignoring that he is in his second year, and last year looked exactly how you currently describe Phillips, this year. The difference being one was a top-60 player, and the other was a top-20 player. Don't let the recruiting rankings decide for you who is good and who isn't, nor how good a kid currently is. Those rankings are mostly based on future projections.

Truth is, Julian Phillips needs to add 20 pounds and work on his ball-handling and outside shot. An off-season of dedication and hard work in thise areas can make a world of difference. Just look at Jahmai Mashack.

I have been an advocate of this for years. It is a farce to identify most of these guys as "students". To me it lowers the reputation of the institution they represent.

Reactions: b-ball fan
I have seen nothing from Phillips that says he is a high draft pick. He has the speed/quickness but is too light to use his body effectively. Doesn't dominate at his position. 20lbs will change everything for him. I don't know how starved the NBA is for players so I guess someone might take a gamble and put the weight on him after signing. If he gets a nice contract he's gone, I have my doubts he will.

It’s been proven time and time again that a 2nd round pick has plenty of reasons/evidence to return to school if they can improve their stock into the first round.
Yep - it made sense for Chandler to leave because his height was always going to be a large hurdle to going in the 1st round.

Phillips would probably be looking at mid-2nd round at this point, which often gets you onto less lucrative 2-way contracts. He could definitely climb into the 1st round by coming back to UT next year. TyTy Washington went in the late 1st round last year and has a 4 year deal with all $11.3M guaranteed. That's a huge difference. But some guys just want to get out of the college game, so who knows?

From my understanding this year draft is loaded so his chances of going in 1st round is not good unless he goes on tear in NCAA Tournament. Next Years Draft is considered weak so he easily could develop enough to push Lottery Pick. IN CHRIST ALONE

Phillips still looks square dribbling the basketball. When he gets into the lane, he often has a problem maintaining control of the ball. He dribbles the ball away and in front of hid body allowing defenders to punch the ball away and create a turnover. He has to improve his ball-handling or he will never start in the NBA.

Yep - it made sense for Chandler to leave because his height was always going to be a large hurdle to going in the 1st round.

Phillips would probably be looking at mid-2nd round at this point, which often gets you onto less lucrative 2-way contracts. He could definitely climb into the 1st round by coming back to UT next year. TyTy Washington went in the late 1st round last year and has a 4 year deal with all $11.3M guaranteed. That's a huge difference. But some guys just want to get out of the college game, so who knows?
Yea everyone’s situation is different, if you just hate school or your family is dependent on that income regardless of where you’re drafted that’s different. Things could’ve changed, but I know coming into the year Phillips and his family weren’t dead set on one and done, they were open to a return if he wasn’t a sure fire 1st round lock.

VN Store

Back