'21 JUCO CB Roterius Torrence (Auburn transfer)

Through 7 games, Torrence has 20 tackles, 3 TFL, and 6 passes broken up. FWIW, top-ranked Hutchinson CC has outscored opponents 344-80 this spring.

As a HS senior, Torrence had 36 tackles and 4 INTs; he also averaged 26 yards per catch (23-599 yards & 5 TDs).

Fit
Torrence will fit perfectly in Tennessee's multiple defensive schemes. He has so much untapped potential that Willie Martinez will be able to tap into. Torrence shows natural ball skills and is fluid in his hips while displaying nice instincts. While his game continues to develop and he is a natural in coverage, he is a nightmare for receivers and quarterbacks. His frame creates issues that most defensive backs cannot. His length routinely disrupts plays down the field, and he is fast enough to run with any speed receiver while possessing the ability to press and run with bigger receivers from the line of scrimmage.

Impact Rating: 7 out of 10
Torrence is another nice multi-year addition for the Vols. They wanted to add another quality defensive back, and he fits the mold. Several other guys came off the market, but they did not settle for Torrence, as he can hold his own in the SEC. He comes from a very successful junior college program, and he will pick up things in Knoxville quickly. This is an addition to be excited about for various reasons.

Impact Report: Vols Add High Upside Corner in Roterius Torrence

Last edited:
Don’t know jack about the kid but I do know we are desparate for CBs that have experience after this yr.

I believe that this and Hammond were about depth this year and if one steps up and allows you to put Taylor at S then great but I think it’s really about next season. You lose AT and George. That leaves you with Burrel and Fields. So yeah pretty sure you don’t want to go into next season counting on just Burrell and Fields with freshman class that you are recruiting under the unknown.

Film does look good. And Hutch has produced some good talent.
If you are excited, you must be this. Wow, really. Been coaching HS Defensive Backs for over 30 years, and doesn't mean I'm right but his length, his fundamentals, and his ball skills are definitely things to get excited about. If that makes me a cheerleader, get me some pom poms and a short skirt.
Before buying you the Pom poms, I think we’d need to see the legs. Shaved 🪒 or naturally smooth?

I’m one of the biggest homers on this site, but if you’re excited about a commitment from an unranked JUCO who’s only other offers were Utah State and ECU, then you’re simply a cheerleader for the team.
Well who do you suggest we get considering the sanctions and penalties looming over our heads right now due to the last staff and Ronald McDonald?

Reactions: Samthebam
Along with depth, we need speed desperately in the defensive backfield...I hope he is a speedster! GBO!

Of course, bad plays are never spotlighted in a recruit's videos, but in the highlights I've seen, he was on his man like a glove.

Plus, he played WR at Bessemer HS.
He has some wheels:

Last edited:
Well who do you suggest we get considering the sanctions and penalties looming over our heads right now due to the last staff and Ronald McDonald?

If I’m starving, I’ll eat Ramen. But I’m not gonna be excited about eating Ramen. That’s my point.

Not a single person on this forum is qualified to intelligently determine if this kid can play. The two generally accepted metrics we use are offers and rankings. Rankings are sketchy for many reasons in normal years - but especially this year.

I’m not so much concerned with his lack of a ranking. What is alarming is his playing a premium position at a top flight JUCO with high visibility - and the lack of offers. Every team needs corners. UGA is loaded on defense and they still offered and accepted kids from the portal.

Can Martinez get something out of him? Sure it’s possible. Could Martinez get something more out of a ‘22 kid that this commitment takes a number from? Very likely.

Being skeptical about this doesn’t make someone a “negavol.” When guys like Means and Brandon Davis etc were signed everyone pointed to DeAndre Baker and how we had no right to question Pruitt. Well, there is a very strong likelihood that this player contributes as much as those two.

If I’m starving, I’ll eat Ramen. But I’m not gonna be excited about eating Ramen. That’s my point.

Not a single person on this forum is qualified to intelligently determine if this kid can play. The two generally accepted metrics we use are offers and rankings. Rankings are sketchy for many reasons in normal years - but especially this year.

I’m not so much concerned with his lack of a ranking. What is alarming is his playing a premium position at a top flight JUCO with high visibility - and the lack of offers. Every team needs corners. UGA is loaded on defense and they still offered and accepted kids from the portal.

Can Martinez get something out of him? Sure it’s possible. Could Martinez get something more out of a ‘22 kid that this commitment takes a number from? Very likely.

Being skeptical about this doesn’t make someone a “negavol.” When guys like Means and Brandon Davis etc were signed everyone pointed to DeAndre Baker and how we had no right to question Pruitt. Well, there is a very strong likelihood that this player contributes as much as those two.
Unfortunately, I haven't been truly excited about Tennessee football in a long time, so this guy doesn't move the needle one way or the other for me (not his fault). I am happy for the kid. He apparently is excited about the opportunity/challenge of the. SEC..

Best of luck to the kid?

Unfortunately, I haven't been truly excited about Tennessee football in a long time, so this guy doesn't move the needle one way or the other for me (not his fault). I am happy for the kid. He apparently is excited about the opportunity/challenge of the. SEC..

Best of luck to the kid?

I’m always excited for Tennessee and I’ll have myself convinced we’re a 10 win team before long.

Rooting for the kid and hope he ends up drafted.

It feels like a Kenneth George type of commit to me. Low floor, high ceiling potential at a position of need. I consider myself an optimist to a fault when it comes to UT sports so I get excited about the potential part while putting on my blinders for the low ceiling part.

Also people were getting hype about Brandon Davis potentially coming back recently, so I think VN are just commit fiends at the moment (including myself).

Last edited:

VN Store

Back