Josh Richardson's Pro Potential

I really don't see Josh as NBA material. Maybe European league at best. He is not consistent with his offense. Very good defender but it takes more than that at the next level.

I really don't see Josh as NBA material. Maybe European league at best. He is not consistent with his offense. Very good defender but it takes more than that at the next level.
Coincidence you come out and say that after Josh only scores 2 pts this game. "European league at best". Disagree.

He was a top 150 player.
A quick search shows Richardson was a 3 star recruit like I said, and was #222 over all according to 247. On Rivals they have him as a 3 star, #124 player overall. ESPN has him as a 3 star, but not ranked nationally. Scout has him as a 2 star, and doesn't have him ranked nationally either. Richardson is a great player, and I'm glad we have him. Let's not act like he was some highly sought after recruit in HS though. He wasn't a consensus top 150 player. Only one service listed him in the top 150.
Just because a basketball player is a 3* doesn't mean that experts don't think he can become good, it's just that he has stuff that he has to work on. I'd assume that scouts thought he was a guy who would play 4 seasons in college, become a starter whether by necessity or seniority, and eventually make a significant contribution for a middle-of-the-pack major conference team or the upper crust of mid majors

I wasn't implying that experts didn't think 3 star players can become very good. It happens all the time actually. I was generally curious about what the experts analysis was on Richardson when he was still in high school.

Reactions: Vol49er and Lefteye

He's only scored under 10pts 3 times this year, and has scored 15pts or more 15 times. That's pretty consistent.

Bad game offensively for JR today. However, he still brings a lot of other value with his defense. He pressed a little today and should have dished off on that last shot to a wide open Punter. I think he can be an NBA player but will probably have to work his way up from D league of Europe

Coincidence you come out and say that after Josh only scores 2 pts this game. "European league at best". Disagree.

Actually he has had a couple of bad games where he just did not execute. Did you see the games at the beginning of the year? He really disappeared in a couple of them and the team followed his lead. Remember the game we scored 38? I love Josh, but he has had at least 3 games where he didn't show up.

I can see him in the NBA as a utility guy. He's getting great experience at the 1. He's played well at the 3. He's an okay two... doesn't have the killer outside shot, but his mid range is excellent. So in the right situation he could substitute for the 1, 2, and 3 in the NBA.

He went up to 19th on a list of Seniors today. He'll rise a bit more in most mocks. Should be a solid 2nd rounder imo. Very versatile guy. Hope he doesn't slip through the cracks.

He'll probably be a free agent. So many foreigners in the draft now that it knocks most of the seniors out except for maybe the top 10.

ANyone know how Jordan McRae is doing in Europe ? When will he join the lousy 76ers again ?

I'm not an "insider" but I would guess that if NBA scouts are even looking at him, they'll be at the Kentucky game.

Win or Lose, he needs to have a great showing against them.

I agree, he needs to excell against Kentucky and lead the Vols to a victory! A great game against thier talent will get him on everyone's draft board!

Really happy he’s doing so well. I’ll be rooting for the Sixers for him and Tobias even though I’m not a huge fan of Ben Simmons

Reactions: Persian Vol
This is where his value lies, I think. He's a relentless lockdown defender, yet has the ability to be an asset on offense. Excellent personal character and leadership characteristics. Tremendous teammate. No ego to speak of. Blue-collar, not blue-chip.

I wonder what a team full of Josh Richardsons would look like.
Terrific description of JRich and I think the last two years of VOLS B-BALL is as close as you could get to a team full of Josh Richardson’s. No egos, character, leadership, and blue-collar.

Some of these post didn’t hold up too well

To be fair, he didn't have an NBA range 3pt shot in college and no one expected him to do that as well as he has since entering the league. We knew he was pretty athletic and a diabolically relentless defender on the court. His perceived ceiling at the time to me was a 3&D player without the 3. I'm super glad he proved the majority of us wrong and is excelling.

To be fair, he didn't have an NBA range 3pt shot in college and no one expected him to do that as well as he has since entering the league. We knew he was pretty athletic and a diabolically relentless defender on the court. His perceived ceiling at the time to me was a 3&D player without the 3. I'm super glad he proved the majority of us wrong and is excelling.
He started developing his 3 point shot his junior year.

Most guys don't have nba range in college. Scouts look at ft shooting to determine nba 3p shooting potential

Reactions: The Dog
Most guys don't have nba range in college. Scouts look at ft shooting to determine nba 3p shooting potential

And it’s been a while, but I’m having this hallucination that there was an advanced metric that had j-rich hitting on 50% of his open 3’s his senior year too.

Makes sense to me. Boston saw Grant's FT% and probably thought he had the potential to become a decent 3-point shooter. Wonder what JRich's FT% was his senior year ? Probably not as high as Grant's, but close to 75% would be my guess

VN Store

Back