Josh Heupel: 2-7 Vs. UF/Bama/UGA

And you can't argue talent gaps either. Lyle could bring in players every bit as good as Bama and UGA. Coaching is a huge factor and Saban and Smart have maintained a stable of coaches far and above the average staffs in D1. That cannot be argued. Wins against those 2 coaches are not the norm. IMO, Saban will only have 3-4 coaches to worry about until he retires. Sark, Kiffin, Smart, JH, and maybe Freeze on occasion.

We have recruited very well. But, they aren't terribly seasoned yet, so to be this competitive in Y2 & Y3 is impressive IMO.

It's very impressive. We no longer go into Tuscaloosa expecting a loss and hoping we can stay within 2 scores. The only loss that stings this year was UF. But playing in the swamp without 2 starting OL is a pretty tall task. It was also early and when we hadn't quite established our identity yet for this years team as a primary running team. One of the reasons I'm glad that UGA is so late in the year this year.

Reactions: volbound1700
OK is no longer Stoops level OK. But Sark seems to have Texas on the right track and they are looking good.

Ugh... have you seen Oklahoma this year? They look better than I have seen them in 5-6 years. Their offense is decent but they look vastly improved, year 2, on defense with Venables. I think they are going to be a real threat (even moreso than Texas). They have also been killing it in recruiting the last 2 years. Not just the overall class but who they are getting is a big deal.

It's very impressive. We no longer go into Tuscaloosa expecting a loss and hoping we can stay within 2 scores. The only loss that stings this year was UF. But playing in the swamp without 2 starting OL is a pretty tall task. It was also early and when we hadn't quite established our identity yet for this years team as a primary running team. One of the reasons I'm glad that UGA is so late in the year this year.
UF game wasn't about identity. It was about being lethargic. 2 lineman out may have hurt, but we looked awful, slow, and lazy. We showed no interest in playing football that day.

Ugh... have you seen Oklahoma this year? They look better than I have seen them in 5-6 years. Their offense is decent but they look vastly improved, year 2, on defense with Venables. I think they are going to be a real threat (even moreso than Texas). They have also been killing it in recruiting the last 2 years. Not just the overall class but who they are getting is a big deal.
I'd have to admit haven't payed them much mind compared to watching Texas this year.

I'd have to admit haven't payed them much mind compared to watching Texas this year.

I mean they are not Georgia/Michigan/Ohio State level but they are very good and the key is they are getting better quickly. They were bad last year but it seems like know that Venables has a class in and a full year, he has them playing at a higher level. Ironically, Clemson has looked a lot worse since he left there as well.

I mean they are not Georgia/Michigan/Ohio State level but they are very good and the key is they are getting better quickly. They were bad last year but it seems like know that Venables has a class in and a full year, he has them playing at a higher level. Ironically, Clemson has looked a lot worse since he left there as well.
Clemson has more trouble than him leaving. Something died and rotted on offense.

Reactions: IndianaVol
I give Heupel a pass for his first year.

Since then we have beaten Bama and UF at Neyland and lost to them and UGA on the road. I am okay with that for a start.

Long term I would like to see us beat those three consistently at home and grab a road win frequently.

Happy with the progress so far.

Reactions: IndianaVol
Clemson has more trouble than him leaving. Something died and rotted on offense.
Dabo messed up doing two things and it's basically the same two things Fulmer did here at UT:
1) He let his excellent coordinators move on...no way should he have let Venables and Elliot move out.
2) He's starting to show that he doesn't recruit in today's atmosphere with his NIL and portal comments...that's hurting him on the recruiting trail big time.

Reactions: GVF

Since then we have beaten Bama and UF at Neyland and lost to them and UGA on the road. I am okay with that for a start.

Long term I would like to see us beat those three consistently at home and grab a road win frequently.

Spot on with you.
1st year for.any coach at UT is a pass with regard to thise three games.

If we beat UGA this year in Neyland, I'm more than happy with Heupel and his record against the three...even if we drop that game, I'm still happy with the direction.

Reactions: VAVol85

The only one that I feel bad about us losing to is Florida. Hell, Kentucky has had better teams and programs during the Heupel years than Florida. Something about it being the first SEC game and a rival keeps getting us.

The South Carolina loss last year was bad but starting to get leaks that it may not have been a fair game is interesting.

We are in a good spot with Heupel though. People are forgetting how bad we were with Pruitt, Jones, etc.

This 2023 team was never going to win the SEC without better QB play. Our ceiling is lower this year because our passing game is limited.

Defense and run game have been greatly improved. Once we solve that QB piece again in future years, we will be able to win it.
Defense is terrible

Well no one in the SEC has beaten UGA in the last 3 years. Alabama has lost 3 SEC games in 3 years, one to us. So it’s not like the rest of the SEC is beating these teams. Florida , I agree we should be 2-1 against.

Reactions: GroverCleveland

VN Store

Back