Josh Heupel: 2-7 Vs. UF/Bama/UGA

I know it’s only his 3rd year but 2-6 against our big 3 opponents isnt going to cut it here.
It will cut it just fine for the next few years. We were ahead of schedule last year. Lost great talent to the NFL. NEWS FLASH. Next year will be the same or worse. You think we can just lose 39 guys to the portal and come out of it unscathed? Pull your head out of the fantasy world and come back to reality. The reality is, Tennessee is a 8-4 - 9-3 Program. Fans like you act like we have been winning since 98'. Times have changed. UGA and Clemson made sure of that. We do not get the same players in recruiting anymore just for having the Power T on our chest. Competing for the East should be our only concern. And hopefully we can dump Bama and Florida off our schedule for the future.

Reactions: Vol737
He has beaten FL and Bama. That in itself is respectable. And honestly, look a GA the last two seasons, there is no shame there.

And GA comes to Neyland this season. Is it a likely win? No, but it is very possible. GA isn’t the juggernaut they have been, and they will very likely be without Bowers. TN is still building, but they are a good team.

IMO, the TN fans even thinking of showing CJH the door are delusional at best. That would be a terrible move. I will admit that he needs to put emphasis on cutting down on penalties. That does seem a weakness.

What an original post. Nothing like this was said when we had the last three coaches.

Which of the last 3 coaches beat UF and Bama? Which of the last 3 coaches had a winning record in year 1. Which of the last 3 coaches had a winning record against SEC opponents?

Folks this isn't the mid 90's anymore. We no longer have to focus on just beating UF in order to get to the SEC title game. Bama and UGA are juggernauts and we don't currently have the same level of talent. Expecting us to beat them every year just isn't reasonable.

Bama has more talent. Bama is more physical. Bama is deeper. Bama was at home. While we do have some guys who will go toe to toe with an opponent, we don't have enough of them. I'm trying to avoid calling our team soft because we do have some guys who'll punch back, but I saw a lot of guys in white with some very bad body language tonight. You can coach, scheme and go full rah/rah with your team, but if the dog doesn't have enough fight in him, no amount of coaching will put it there. We're making progress, but it's going to take more time. I know this will sound like an old man talking about football in the old days, but I truly believe a coach needs to have the time to flip the roster he has inherited before you can really know where you stand. Yeah the portal can help, but it's not foolproof. Guys in the portal are in there for a reason. It's not the panacea that many seem to believe. We're in the middle of year 3 but the NCAA episode gutted an entire recruiting class so I think it adds a bit to this roster rebuild. Heupel has made some mistakes, but he's not dealing with a full deck here. He's using smoke and mirrors and has had a lot more success than I had expected. We just played a team that has lived in the top 5 in recruiting at their place....with their refs...and had 'em down 20-7 at halftime. Just didn't match their intensity in the second half. We'll recruit and get guys in here that will have some dog in them and those type second halfs won't be so common anymore.
Excellent observations on all points.

A lot of stupid in this thread. Ok, we haven't beaten Georgia, we'll they are having a historic run of 40 straight wins and could be first program to 3 peat this year. Alabama has also been the program going on 15 years with Saban.

He should have beaten Florida, I agree on that one. The others are not just elite but top programs all-time. Fulmer did play against teams at the level of Alabama or Georgia today. Even Spurrier's Florida teams were not that level. The closest 1990s comparison would be Nebraska but even they are not as dominate as Saban Alabama.

The last 3 head coaches went 0 - 9 against those three. I suggested once an 0-9 rule being put in the employment contract to help avoid the huge buyouts of these guys. People got on here and said I was being unrealistic, that nobody would take the job then. Now, here you are complaining that he has just 2 wins in two year against them.

I appreciate that. Honestly, yes I’d be very upset about what happened today against Bama if I were a Vol. And I understand that much of these posts I don’t understand are knee jerk reactions by upset fans.

But CJH has done well so far. Hell, I’m concerned about what happens if or when he gets to field talent and depth comparable to GA or Bama. It’s going to make things very interesting. He is already competing without said talent and depth across the field.
Heupel doesn't have to have top down the level of talent that GA and AL have -he just has to shrink the gap a little (which he's doing)

That's what makes him a great coach. Fulmer brought in great talent but TN fans knew Spurrier was the superior coach from an X's & O's standpoint.

We have a great coach now... not just an excellent recruiter. Things are going to get very interesting in the league going forward.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Which of the last 3 coaches beat UF and Bama? Which of the last 3 coaches had a winning record in year 1. Which of the last 3 coaches had a winning record against SEC opponents?

Folks this isn't the mid 90's anymore. We no longer have to focus on just beating UF in order to get to the SEC title game. Bama and UGA are juggernauts and we don't currently have the same level of talent. Expecting us to beat them every year just isn't reasonable.
If you can start splitting with tesm like Bama, UGA, and FL and just pull out the home games, that is more than acceptable. Teams like that are expected to win their home fields. It is very difficult for even elite programs to defeat other elites on the road. Period.

Reactions: DirtyDawg
If you can start splitting with tesm like Bama, UGA, and FL and just pull out the home games, that is more than acceptable. Teams like that are expected to win their home fields. It is very difficult for even elite programs to defeat other elites on the road. Period.

Yep. UGA has the same amount of wins against Bama as we do since Saban took over.

Reactions: GVF
That's a stat that doesn't mean anything to me. The big three won't exist moving forward so who cares. Despite this year looking like it could go belly up, his accomplishments should not be mitigated because he hasn't consistently beaten three teams in year three. Tennessee has gone from being a joke to the team that can beat you on any given day if they play clean.

Yep. UGA has the same amount of wins against Bama as we do since Saban took over.
And you can't argue talent gaps either. Lyle could bring in players every bit as good as Bama and UGA. Coaching is a huge factor and Saban and Smart have maintained a stable of coaches far and above the average staffs in D1. That cannot be argued. Wins against those 2 coaches are not the norm. IMO, Saban will only have 3-4 coaches to worry about until he retires. Sark, Kiffin, Smart, JH, and maybe Freeze on occasion.

We have recruited very well. But, they aren't terribly seasoned yet, so to be this competitive in Y2 & Y3 is impressive IMO.

Reactions: Carp
That's a stat that doesn't mean anything to me. The big three won't exist moving forward so who cares. Despite this year looking like it could go belly up, his accomplishments should not be mitigated because he hasn't consistently beaten three teams in year three. Tennessee has gone from being a joke to the team that can beat you on any given day if they play clean.

I think losing the Big 3 situation will help Tennessee as a program. However, we do now get Oklahoma and Texas and both are looking good now. Granted, we won't be playing either on an annual basis so maybe they will be more of a headache for teams like Alabama or Georgia who have had a softer schedule than us lately.

I think losing the Big 3 situation will help Tennessee as a program. However, we do now get Oklahoma and Texas and both are looking good now. Granted, we won't be playing either on an annual basis so maybe they will be more of a headache for teams like Alabama or Georgia who have had a softer schedule than us lately.
OK is no longer Stoops level OK. But Sark seems to have Texas on the right track and they are looking good.

VN Store

Back