Josh Dobbs 2016 season has a chance to be STATISTICALLY the best in school history

Greatest running quarterback- Condrege
Opponents were not trying to tackle him, they were trying to kill him.
Greatest passing quarterback- Manning (No explanation needed)

For those with more knowledge than me, which TN QB has thrown the most interceptions in one season and which one has had the most fumbles in one season?

Jimmy Streater had 16 intercepted in 1 season.

Andy Kelly threw 38 ints in his career.

Not sure about fumbles.

Considering Manning went #1 overall, and Heath went #3 overall, I would say at best he is third.

In all seriousness JD is exactly what you want as a representative for your football team. Smart, athletically gifted, a pillar for the community. Add in the fact that he is black, only makes these things better for our community and nation as a whole. (by that I mean it is time finally to stop looking at a persons color, gender, or sexual orientation and pre-judging them on that criteria, and I am a die hard conservative).

Now as far as QB's, if he had went to Bama, he would have never sniffed the field, and we should name a street after him "Bounce Pass".

In the world of UT QB's, he would rank behind:
Peyton
Heath
Casey
Tony R
Condrege
and probably Bray

You are trying to span too many generations and offensive philosophies, kind of like saying D Kizer is a better QB than Montana at ND.
If he had gone to Bama then Kiffen would have coached him and he would have been all world. JD has much more natural talent than Crompton.

. . .If Dobbs turns into a great starting QB in the NFL (as I expect) then he'll be the 2nd best QB in school history.

On the opening day of the NFL regular season in 2017, you can check every 53 man roster in the league, and you'll not find Josh Dobbs' name.

Love the kid, but his release and accuracy would have to improve 10 fold between now and the NFL combine to even get a sniff. Considering his improvement from even last year to this year, I just cannot see that happening.

Like Dobbs a lot but a street with his name...just no...that's like watering down your cheerios...win a SEC title, then we'll talk about a street...:good!:

PS. Wouldn't mind a cul-de-sac though...:)

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
Too bad we couldn't win more with him. Bad coaching IMO.

I still laugh inside at the people who said "just beat Florida and I'll be happy". Lol, fools.

Complete BS.

Yea. Clausen only had T Henry, T Stephens, Donte Stallworth, Jason Witten, Troy Fleming, Kelly Washington, Eric Parker, Lenoard Scott, Cedric Houston, Gerald Riggs, and Cedric Wilson on his teams.

Not to mention Munoz, Wells, Weary, Herrera etc on the line.

Pretty close to what Dobbs played with.

Reactions: 2 people
Well if Butch Jones wasn't such a terrible coach that started every game with a conservative gameplan Dobbs would have scored just as many TDs and gotten to rest in more 4th quarters.

See how easy speculation is?

Dobbs was the one killing drives with missed throws. You're just making an excuse for Dobbs while I am congratulating Manning for getting into victory formation.

Yea. Clausen only had T Henry, T Stephens, Donte Stallworth, Jason Witten, Troy Fleming, Kelly Washington, Eric Parker, Lenoard Scott, Cedric Houston, Gerald Riggs, and Cedric Wilson on his teams.

Brick by brick,baby!

Tennessee was preseason ranked #12 in 2003, Clausen's senior year. Tennessee was preseason ranked what, #9 this year?....in Dobbs' senior season?

The part that I was more labeling BS was your subjective opinion that Clausen's, who was 14-1 on the road as a starter at Tennessee (including 2-0 at the Swamp), would've led the team to a losing record with this team. That's an uninformed opinion on your part and just BS IMO.

Given Clausen's documented track record of success, especially on the road, an informed opinion says he likely wouldn't have lost to a bad SCar team in Columbia and a below average Vandy team in Nashville.

I love Josh Dobbs, but saying those early 2000 teams win national titles by replacing a qb that was 34-10 in his career as a starter, with Dobbs is somewhat ridiculous. As I said earlier, it's purely your subjective opinion.

Last edited:
He has also 12 int which is close to the top for int for a season coupled with 10 fumbles. He will come close to being the all time Tennessee leader in turnovers. I'm pretty sure he has the record for fumbles given he had 10 last year too.

On the opening day of the NFL regular season in 2017, you can check every 53 man roster in the league, and you'll not find Josh Dobbs' name.

Love the kid, but his release and accuracy would have to improve 10 fold between now and the NFL combine to even get a sniff. Considering his improvement from even last year to this year, I just cannot see that happening.

Gave yourself an out ehh? So when Josh is playing in the NFL next year you can say hey I said if he improved his release and accuracy he could make it and he did improve.

We'll see who is ultimately right but I think Dobbs (as he is right now) is good enough to not play in the NFL but to be a GREAT PLAYER.

When its all said and done he'll be the best QB from the 2017 draft class. And one of the best QBs in the NFL like Russell Wilson.

Gave yourself an out ehh? So when Josh is playing in the NFL next year you can say hey I said if he improved his release and accuracy he could make it and he did improve.

We'll see who is ultimately right but I think Dobbs (as he is right now) is good enough to not play in the NFL but to be a GREAT PLAYER.

When its all said and done he'll be the best QB from the 2017 draft class. And one of the best QBs in the NFL like Russell Wilson.

I hope you're right. I love the kid, and if JD dreams of playing pro ball, then I hope his dream comes true.

I said this in another thread, but I will repeat. If JD's skill goes from what he has demonstrated on the field in college to that of a starting NFL quarterback, it will be the most ringing indictment of the CBJ era. If JD is an NFL QB, and what we saw was all that BSIA could get out of him, they should never coach another down.

Tennessee was preseason ranked #12 in 2003, Clausen's senior year. Tennessee was preseason ranked what, #9 this year?....in Dobbs' senior season?

The part that I was more labeling BS was your subjective opinion that Clausen's, who was 14-1 on the road as a starter at Tennessee (including 2-0 at the Swamp), would've led the team to a losing record with this team. That's an uninformed opinion on your part and just BS IMO.

Given Clausen's documented track record of success, especially on the road, an informed opinion says he likely wouldn't have lost to a bad SCar team in Columbia and a below average Vandy team in Nashville.

I love Josh Dobbs, but saying those early 2000 teams win national titles by replacing a qb that was 34-10 in his career as a starter, with Dobbs is somewhat ridiculous. As I said earlier, it's purely your subjective opinion.

No sense arguing with a jock sniffer. Some people refuse to believe that their knight might have some chinks in the armor.

And if Dobbs never takes a snap at the next level and ends up being one of the better Vol QBs and a huge success in the civilian world, I'm sure we'll get the exact same number of follow up threads as we did on Marquez North. :)

Men lie. Women lie. Numbers don't.

The numbers say he's second in school history for total TDs, third for total yards. And his 2016 season could set the school record for yards and TDs in a season.

Dobbs isn't a better QB than Manning. But he is in the same stratosphere. His production says so loudly.

Ryan leaf had comparable numbers to Manning too. So I guess he is also in the same stratosphere? How'do his pro career turn out?

Your arguments are incredible easy to debunk.

Too bad we couldn't win more with him. Bad coaching IMO.

I still laugh inside at the people who said "just beat Florida and I'll be happy". Lol, fools.

Haha, I laugh out loud at fairweather fans that don't think they are fairweather fans but don't even know what a fairweather fan is.

I was one of those people that said "just beat Florida and I'll be happy". I've never expected Butch to be "that guy", so I am happy we beat Florida. But, after we lost to USCjr. I realized I was wrong. I was not happy. After the loss to Vandy, I was depressed. Go ahead and laugh tho, I can take it.

Can anyone remember an instance where Dobbs took a solid hit from anyone? I'm sure he has taken some pretty good shots, but his toughness makes it seem like they didn't phase him at all. I just can't remember a single play in his career when anyone ever got more than a glancing tackle on him.

Before Dobbs took over, it seemed like we would go through at least 2 QBs a year, due to injuries. While his numbers are extremely impressive, I am amazed by his durability over the course of his career. I think that durability will be a big reason why some NFL teams will value him much higher than what most think.

Lots, for example the UGA game td right before half.

VN Store

Back