Josh Dobbs 2016 season has a chance to be STATISTICALLY the best in school history

The NFL will let us know if he's the second best QB in program history.

We'll just have to wait and see who is right.

Considering Manning went #1 overall, and Heath went #3 overall, I would say at best he is third.

In all seriousness JD is exactly what you want as a representative for your football team. Smart, athletically gifted, a pillar for the community. Add in the fact that he is black, only makes these things better for our community and nation as a whole. (by that I mean it is time finally to stop looking at a persons color, gender, or sexual orientation and pre-judging them on that criteria, and I am a die hard conservative).

Now as far as QB's, if he had went to Bama, he would have never sniffed the field, and we should name a street after him "Bounce Pass".

In the world of UT QB's, he would rank behind:
Peyton
Heath
Casey
Tony R
Condrege
and probably Bray

You are trying to span too many generations and offensive philosophies, kind of like saying D Kizer is a better QB than Montana at ND.

Men lie. Women lie. Numbers don't.

The numbers say he's second in school history for total TDs, third for total yards. And his 2016 season could set the school record for yards and TDs in a season.

Dobbs isn't a better QB than Manning. But he is in the same stratosphere. His production says so loudly.

Lol. You writing that is hilarious. :eek:lol:

Reactions: 2 people
"Pretty incredible numbers considering how weak our offensive line was and how tough our schedule turned out to be." D4H O/P

That phrase above is what makes D4H lose all credibility. It is in his DNA to include an insult with every praise. Always has to say someone is weak to try and magnify Dobbs. It really isn't necessary to denigrate in order to elevate someone. Dobbs is an incredible ambassador for UT football and the fan base embraces him, but when insults are hurled in some bizarre logic to make him look better everyone's impulse is to insult back. Try complimenting without lowering yourself to insult and life works much better.

Fair enough. Also consider that Dobbs yardage is passing plus running. Peytons was about 98% just pure passing.

Dobbs has done a very good job. As an athlete, Dobbs is the best in school history at the QB position. As a passer? He isnt in the top 5.

I can agree with that. Great point!

Considering Manning went #1 overall, and Heath went #3 overall, I would say at best he is third.

In all seriousness JD is exactly what you want as a representative for your football team. Smart, athletically gifted, a pillar for the community. Add in the fact that he is black, only makes these things better for our community and nation as a whole. (by that I mean it is time finally to stop looking at a persons color, gender, or sexual orientation and pre-judging them on that criteria, and I am a die hard conservative).

Now as far as QB's, if he had went to Bama, he would have never sniffed the field, and we should name a street after him "Bounce Pass".

Peyton
Heath
Casey
Tony R
Condrege
and probably Bray

You are trying to span too many generations and offensive philosophies, kind of like saying D Kizer is a better QB than Montana at ND.

I will disagree with this. Stats say other wise.

Peyton
Heath
Casey
Tony R
Condrege
and probably Bray

I want to know how Clausen and Bray are better than Dobbs? Honestly i don't even know who Tony R is. Clausen never impressed me at all. He seemed to underperform in every game that mattered..

NFL draft position tells us nothing. Success in the NFL is the key. Heath Schuler was a huge bust. Him going 3rd overall means nothing.

If Dobbs turns into a great starting QB in the NFL (as I expect) then he'll be the 2nd best QB in school history.

"Pretty incredible numbers considering how weak our offensive line was and how tough our schedule turned out to be." D4H O/P

That phrase above is what makes D4H lose all credibility. It is in his DNA to include an insult with every praise. Always has to say someone is weak to try and magnify Dobbs. It really isn't necessary to denigrate in order to elevate someone. Dobbs is an incredible ambassador for UT football and the fan base embraces him, but when insults are hurled in some bizarre logic to make him look better everyone's impulse is to insult back. Try complimenting without lowering yourself to insult and life works much better.

The Tennessee offensive line is terrible. Everyone knows that.

What I said wasn't an insult.

It was a FACT.

NFL draft position tells us nothing. Success in the NFL is the key. Heath Schuler was a huge bust. Him going 3rd overall means nothing.

If Dobbs turns into a great starting QB in the NFL (as I expect) then he'll be the 2nd best QB in school history.

You use draft position all the time to try and buttress your "arguments" for how good a player is in college. All the time....

I want to know how Clausen and Bray are better than Dobbs? Honestly i don't even know who Tony R is. Clausen never impressed me at all. He seemed to underperform in every game that mattered..

Tony R is Tony Robinson. Did you need to Google Robert Neyland? :huh:

Reactions: 1 person
Sadly, Dobbs' career at Tennessee will be remembered for what it might have been as opposed to what it actually was.

He's a great athlete who never quite figured out how to throw the ball.

Reactions: 3 people
As a Bama fan I'm not surprised you think judging college players by what they do in the NFL is anathema considering how most Bama stars become busts in the NFL.

We can debate "most", but even if you were correct (which is like saying "even if the sky were purple") that would completely put the lie to your assertion that college players can and should be judged by what they do at the next level.

Reactions: 2 people
Men lie. Women lie. Numbers don't.

The numbers say he's second in school history for total TDs, third for total yards. And his 2016 season could set the school record for yards and TDs in a season.

Dobbs isn't a better QB than Manning. But he is in the same stratosphere. His production says so loudly.

The '97 Vols won 7 games by 14+. If Manning had been behind in nearly every 4th quarter, his stats would have been out of this world...and that's in a pro style offense. Imagine the spread...

Believe he will be a project at the next level. Needs help reading defenses. Needs to improve accuracy, throw receivers open. Personally, this latter aspect will be a big issue. If you can't do it at this point, it will be very tough to overcome....if even possible. History will tell.

I believe Dobbs first year VS Bama. Reggie Ragland got him really good. Caused a fumble. I don't really recall one after that.

Last year against Alabama, while cutting into the lane on a designed QB run, Ragland smoked Dobbs.

Sadly, Dobbs' career at Tennessee will be remembered for what it might have been as opposed to what it actually was.

He's a great athlete who never quite figured out how to throw the ball.

He just led the SEC in passer rating and passing TDs. And he was top 3 in nearly every other passing category.

Pretty good for a guy who "never figured out how to throw the ball".

You use draft position all the time to try and buttress your "arguments" for how good a player is in college. All the time....

Not really.

I only try and project players draft position using the NFL's logic. I never really get into how good a guy is in college.

For example I've never said anything about Derek Barnett not being a great college player. I've only said he might not go as high in the draft as many think because NFL teams have been known to overvalue physical gifts and Barnett's lack of ideal size and athleticism might cause him to fall from his current projections that are largely based on college production.

The '97 Vols won 7 games by 14+. If Manning had been behind in nearly every 4th quarter, his stats would have been out of this world...and that's in a pro style offense. Imagine the spread...

Well if Butch Jones wasn't such a terrible coach that started every game with a conservative gameplan Dobbs would have scored just as many TDs and gotten to rest in more 4th quarters.

See how easy speculation is?

Greatest running quarterback- Condrege
Opponents were not trying to tackle him, they were trying to kill him.
Greatest passing quarterback- Manning (No explanation needed)

For those with more knowledge than me, which TN QB has thrown the most interceptions in one season and which one has had the most fumbles in one season?

14-1 record on the road with a 34-10 record overall, all Casey ever did was win.

He's worked hard as an individual. He deserves a lot of respect. Maybe a street too! Just 3 key turnovers less and this could have been an awesome season all because of him. An interception against SC an interception in OT versus A&M and a fumble against Vandy. Still a great career though.

That's how you remember what he's done by pointing out his mistakes? So, Peyton Manning threw for 134 with a TD and an INT against Nebraska in his final game and lost 42-17 to Nebraska. Is that what he's remembered for?

VN Store

Back