Jordan Horston

In fairness to Kellie, she didn't have much of a choice once Massengill opted to leave. Other than Slocum, I don't know any elite PGs in the portal that weren't already scooped up. Walker wasn't ideal, but she was the best that was available.

It's not like Massengill left right before the season. She left in late March. From the moment she entered the portal, finding her replacement should have been priority #1 and 2 for Kellie and she had an entire offseason to do so. I wouldn't consider Massengill "elite" and her replacement didn't need to be either, just someone competent. Because of that failure, finding a veteran point guard will be a priority once again this offseason or we'll be in the same situation next year. Fans who think Miles will be ready to run the team her first year are going to be sorely disappointed...

Virtual recruiting in the midst of a plague is immensely more challenging than in normal times. Many transfers and young recruits are going to gravitate toward the more established teams (currently speaking) rather than a new coach at a program which was struggling to regain significance.

We're starting to see movement in recruiting, including praises from parents who have said that Kellie outworked the competition and has an impressive pitch. Even some fans from our formerly fiercest rivals have commented about her sharp communication skills which, as they pointed out, is a huge part of coaching.

Every team is always looking for elite players at every position. As we move back into the national conversation, we will get more interest from impact players who see a chance to get immediate playing time from a staff not afraid to use their bench. Players like to play for winners and contenders. If we continue to build the program, they will come.

I am confident that until we land the "elite" point guard who can do it all (assists, sreals, scoring, rebounding), we can develop some reliable game managers. We have some good guards already on the roster with more on the way with Miles and Wynn.

It isn't just this game, her entire season has been a disappointment. Horston is a great talent but an incredibly fragile player mentally and emotionally, ill-equipped to play the point on a long term basis. And it isn't all her fault, Kellie has done her no favors by putting her in that position...
Kellie is not her mother...

Reactions: tn4everlvfl
It's not like Massengill left right before the season. She left in late March. From the moment she entered the portal, finding her replacement should have been priority #1 and 2 for Kellie and she had an entire offseason to do so. I wouldn't consider Massengill "elite" and her replacement didn't need to be either, just someone competent. Because of that failure, finding a veteran point guard will be a priority once again this offseason or we'll be in the same situation next year. Fans who think Miles will be ready to run the team her first year are going to be sorely disappointed...
I think Salary has that potential.

In 23 minutes, she was 1-11 field goals....
0-2 for 3 point shots....
4 turnovers....
Total 2 points for the night...

Sorry guys, I'm not going to cheer for that...She's a sweet girl, but she had a horrendous night on the hardwood....
She had a bad night,but she can't let the define her..

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
So your already down in miles!!?? She hasn't even stepped in the gym and you are down in her! What a great "fan" you are!!

Someone started this thread just to talk down on Horston? True fans won't do that. She has done a lot this season.

Reactions: tn4everlvfl
All I’m going to say to the sector of consistently negative and irritating “negavols”: when we lose players yet again due to the harsh unwarranted personal attacks and criticism just know that it falls on you. Her mom has already been posting on the Facebook group about how hard it is for her and Jordan to see the hateful things that are said about her and others.

The bashing is not working. How about trying a different approach? Like maybe lifting them up and giving them confidence, and if you get frustrated with them and want to bash them then do it in your house to a family member like normal well-adjusted people. Bashing one of the most heralded recruits we’ve had in years because she’s in a tough slump isn’t smart.

I personally was excited for them Thursday. I thought we played well and looked like the better team for the majority of the game. We’re going in the right direction. Chill the Hell out. ✌🏼

Jordan Horston only needs to improve her shooting to have the complete game. She does everything else well. She is terrific rebounding the ball, assists, steals, and defense. If she improves her shooting this summer she will be a definite SEC top ten player and a candidate for AA honors. Getting better offensively is what she needs to work on and just like Burrell she will reach the upper level.

All I’m going to say to the sector of consistently negative and irritating “negavols”: when we lose players yet again due to the harsh unwarranted personal attacks and criticism just know that it falls on you. Her mom has already been posting on the Facebook group about how hard it is for her and Jordan to see the hateful things that are said about her and others.

The bashing is not working. How about trying a different approach? Like maybe lifting them up and giving them confidence, and if you get frustrated with them and want to bash them then do it in your house to a family member like normal well-adjusted people. Bashing one of the most heralded recruits we’ve had in years because she’s in a tough slump isn’t smart.

I personally was excited for them Thursday. I thought we played well and looked like the better team for the majority of the game. We’re going in the right direction. Chill the Hell out. ✌🏼

The problem is that some of the harshest criticism comes from posters who pretend to be fans. They are only here to stir the pot. At least with scuzball trolls, they tell you they are fans of another team while they are laughing at or disparaging the team. With Nega's, they swear or have a sister troll swear that they are indeed fans. We even have posters claiming to be fans liking their Nega-posts. IMO, Darth is not a troll. He is a LV fan who does not agree with the direction of the team over the past decade (maybe a little less). I would worry more about trolls who come here with the intention of creating controversy.

Last edited:

I agree with what you are saying. Trashing players is not necessary. However, the players and their families would be smart to stay off the message boards. Nothing good can come out of it.

Jordan Horston will be fine. Her biggest problem is mental. Part of that is because she puts too much pressure on herself. She is just a sophomore who did not have a true spring but she has already grown tremendously from last year. Mental maturity comes faster for some players then others. Key was having some of the same problems earlier in the season when she would pick up quick fouls. You could see the frustration on her face and you could tell she was going to struggle mentally most of the game. I know a lot don’t want to hear this but every since Jon came back from quarantine she has gotten better every game. I think Key loves the big matchups because even as a freshman she has always outplayed or played dead even with the majority of highly touted bigs she’s faced. I think we sometimes forget Key and Horston are just sophomores with a lot of room to grow.

Jordan Horston will be fine. Her biggest problem is mental. Part of that is because she puts too much pressure on herself. She is just a sophomore who did not have a true spring but she has already grown tremendously from last year. Mental maturity comes faster for some players then others. Key was having some of the same problems earlier in the season when she would pick up quick fouls. You could see the frustration on her face and you could tell she was going to struggle mentally most of the game. I know a lot don’t want to hear this but every since Jon came back from quarantine she has gotten better every game. I think Key loves the big matchups because even as a freshman she has always outplayed or played dead even with the majority of highly touted bigs she’s faced. I think we sometimes forget Key and Horston are just sophomores with a lot of room to grow.

We, I included, do not know the inner workings nor the outer manifestations these athletes go through each game...Some have nagging minor injuries, some have internal goings on and some are indeed affected by the social media garbage about them...I can tell you that Jordan is NOT one of the kids affected by what we say. True, family members can also read this board, but Jordan doesn't and won't,,,She is smart enough to avoid listening to the doctors and psychologists that patrol this and other sites. You don't know Jordan's mental state, nor her physical state unless you are one of the family I have yet to meet.

These are 18-22+ year old young women. They are still growing and maturing...How about we leave it at that

Jordan is the type of athlete that you "release" and let her play to her unbridled limits, only pulling the reins in or guiding at very precise times,,,,the more you control a player like that the more they fight both inwardly and outwardly,,,I wish Coach K would see this and just let the child do what got her to the #2 player in the land a couple of years ago.

I am the same way, in my coaching and in my work environment, , , I learn differently than others and I take risks that others are scared to take. The world of VolNation told me that I would never be an influence or have a shot at coaching, summer or otherwise, for this org...But here I am 5+ years later, as much connected and influential to this org as any staff member or coach is....And my advice to those who read me,,,Let Jordan run and watch her win races for you

Last edited:
We, I included, do not know the inner workings nor the outer manifestations these athletes go through each game...Some have nagging minor injuries, some have internal goings on and some are indeed affected by the social media garbage about them...I can tell you that Jordan is NOT one of the kids affected by what we say. True, family members can also read this board, but Jordan doesn't and won't,,,She is smart enough to avoid listening to the doctors and psychologists that patrol this and other sites. You don't know Jordan's mental state, nor her physical state unless you are one of the family I have yet to meet.

These are 18-22+ year old young women. They are still growing and maturing...How about we leave it at that
I never said I knew her overall mental state, but you can watch the game and tell that mental maturity on the basketball court is her biggest problem. She is a very gifted athlete but gets down on herself when she is not performing up to her standard because she wants to win so badly. I didn’t say anything negative about Jordan in fact I was defending her, so quoting my comment when it was in support of allowing them to grow makes no sense to me.

In 23 minutes, she was 1-11 field goals....
0-2 for 3 point shots....
4 turnovers....
Total 2 points for the night...

Sorry guys, I'm not going to cheer for that...She's a sweet girl, but she had a horrendous night on the hardwood....
She started the 3rd quarter. In less than 3 minutes she had 3 turnovers and 2 forced shots. I was screaming at the TV for Kelly to take her out of the game. I agree she would be better at the 2 guard position where she does not have to think as much. Just not a PG. It's not her strong point

I never said I knew her overall mental state, but you can watch the game and tell that mental maturity on the basketball court is her biggest problem. She is a very gifted athlete but gets down on herself when she is not performing up to her standard because she wants to win so badly. I didn’t say anything negative about Jordan in fact I was defending her, so quoting my comment when it was in support of allowing them to grow makes no sense to me.

..."Her biggest problem is mental"

You don't know this. Nor do I. There may be things going on that we aren't privvy to.
That's all

I go to work sometimes with a backache or a groin pull,,,neither is visible, both affect my mobility

didn't mean to insinuate or point you out,,,just hate it when people assume, truly, these girls can have things going on we don;t see or know about

..."Her biggest problem is mental"

You don't know this. Nor do I. There may be things going on that we aren't privvy to.
That's all

I go to work sometimes with a backache or a groin pull,,,neither is visible, both affect my mobility

didn't mean to insinuate or point you out,,,just hate it when people assume, truly, these girls can have things going on we don;t see or know about
I agree that she could have other things going on that we don’t know about. However, when I watch her play especially in the games she has struggled the physical does not appear to be what’s causing her to struggle. Hornbuckle mentioned the mental aspect on her post game show as well. The good thing is there is still plenty of room for growth. As I mentioned in my previous post, I think she will be just fine and will continue to grow and mature.

We, I included, do not know the inner workings nor the outer manifestations these athletes go through each game...Some have nagging minor injuries, some have internal goings on and some are indeed affected by the social media garbage about them...I can tell you that Jordan is NOT one of the kids affected by what we say. True, family members can also read this board, but Jordan doesn't and won't,,,She is smart enough to avoid listening to the doctors and psychologists that patrol this and other sites. You don't know YJordan's mental state, nor her physical state unless you are one of the family I have yet to meet.

Jordan is the type of athlete that you "release" and let her play to her unbridled limits, only pulling the reins in or guiding at very precise times,,,,the more you control a player like that the more they fight both inwardly and outwardly,,,I wish Coach K would see this and just let the child do what got her to the #2 player in the land a couple of years ago.

I am the same way, in my coaching and in my work environment, , , I learn differently than others and I take risks that others are scared to take. The world of VolNation told me that I would never be an influence or have a shot at coaching, summer or otherwise, for this org...But here I am 5+ years later, as much connected and influential to this org as any staff member or coach is....And my advice to those who read me,,,Let Jordan run and watch her win races for you
You're as "influential to this org as any staff member or coach is".
As much as CKJH ?

Jordan Horston only needs to improve her shooting to have the complete game. She does everything else well. She is terrific rebounding the ball, assists, steals, and defense. If she improves her shooting this summer she will be a definite SEC top ten player and a candidate for AA honors. Getting better offensively is what she needs to work on and just like Burrell she will reach the upper level.

I agree she will be fine. But, she is not a PG. We just don’t have a plus PG and haven’t recruited one. UConn game was as good as Walker has played. She’s just physically limited and needs to be a backup.

Jordan is a great player. Some skills are more developed than others. She's a sophomore. She gets upset with herself when she fails to make a play. She will grow out of that and will turn into a player who has the talent, experience and control to dominate. She's great now. If people want to pick, they will. It's a forum. Just another reason players and real coaches should never read them and certainly not participate in them. Beware the lurking trolls. None of this changes the fact that Jordan is still GREAT!

LUBALLER - You are only making assumptions as far as reading her reactions on court. Every athlete and person for that matter is different in many ways including how they react and what that reaction means. There are a lot of great players that show frustration and anger in different ways. For some it affects them negatively and some it's a positive. II could show you clips of 100s of athletes who have similar actions not all mean the same. You've never seen some of the great baseball players throw their helmet, yell at the ump after a strike out ? What appears to be immaturity to you might be her way of expressing herself and fixing what she did wrong. I've played with guys who would shake their head say WTF go silent - They aren't weak or immature it was their process. If you just walk away accepting the mistake you won't get better. That's not to say some players who exhibit the same reactions aren't affected negatively

I see the same thing as Coach does. She has too much talent and currently isn't allowed to use her whole arsenal maybe because she's the PG position. She looks like she is putting everything before shooting.. The stats kind of show that. I wish there was a way KJH could integrate Jordan more into the offense with Rae and Davis, kind of like how the warriors used Green, Steph and Klay or the Celtics Walker, Tatum and Brown.

Reactions: Nute Gunray

VN Store

Back