Jones and O'neal

Stop using logic when it comes to playing talented freshman. We all know its just a track meet on Saturdays and we should just put our best athletes out there and "see what happens" in the game. Their is a mental aspect to the game that most posters don't even begin to respect. Like he said above, we play freshman, the ones that can play. Creer, Berry, Vinson, Moore play very meaningful snaps. There are others that play special teams and are in the 2 and 3 deep. O'Neal rested on his media credentials when he got to Knoxville and he did not work hard or learn anything. He expected it to be given to him. That is his fault not the coaches. What other freshman do you think we should be playing because of their athletic prowess?

Ill go with volbeef, it's the coaches responsibility to prepare oneal to play. Set up 5 to 10 plays were this guy can be on the field and it doesnt look like its going to be a trick play. Get him the ball and see what he can do. Ill bet Urban Meyer didnt think I need to make sure Percy Harvin can block before I get him on the field...

Does it ever occur to anyone that the coaches see these guys in practice all week long?

that does occur to me GA. why do we continually have the problem of freshmen not being ready to play when other schools can find ways to get their freshmen not only on the field, but set up plays so that these freshmen beat us?

It's not like all freshmen everywhere see the field though. This argument about getting freshmen on the field goes on at every major program in the nation. Everybody always thinks the unknown is better.

Right now we've got about 4 or 5 freshmen that are seeing significant action so far. I'd bet that is about the norm everywhere.

It's not like all freshmen everywhere see the field though. This argument about getting freshmen on the field goes on at every major program in the nation. Everybody always thinks the unknown is better.

Right now we've got about 4 or 5 freshmen that are seeing significant action so far. I'd bet that is about the norm everywhere.

good point, and if i didn't have so many doubts about this coaching staff, I might be able to look at this a little more objectively. I'd at least like to see us make a few plays for a receiver that could go deep. Supposedly from practice reports, Jones can do that. That's why I would like to see him. O'Neal very well could be a bust, I haven't heard the great things about him since he arrived on campus that I've heard about Jones.

I'd at least like to see us make a few plays for a receiver that could go deep.

That's something I can't really understand either. You'd think that if O'Neal is the freak he is supposed to be, if nothing else he could get off the line of scrimage and run a Go or maybe a Wheel route from the slot or something. It makes me think that he really is not getting it.

They claim O'Neal can't even run 5 yard out patterns correctly. Always go 7 yards or something. I can't believe they couldn't pick this up before they brought him in.

Ill go with volbeef, it's the coaches responsibility to prepare oneal to play. Set up 5 to 10 plays were this guy can be on the field and it doesnt look like its going to be a trick play. Get him the ball and see what he can do. Ill bet Urban Meyer didnt think I need to make sure Percy Harvin can block before I get him on the field...

Your going with me on that one! I want the best players on the field no matter there year. That does however include knowing how to play and where to play. Very, very few frosh play at big schools, those Frosh are the very small exception and not the rule.

They claim O'Neal can't even run 5 yard out patterns correctly. Always go 7 yards or something. I can't believe they couldn't pick this up before they brought him in.

Apparently a lot of schools missed it with him because we were not the only ones after him.

When you're a running football team, I'd rather have good blockers and kids that know what play is being called.

Then again you're the type of guy that wants the talent on the field above all else. Then you're the guy that blames the coaches for losing to LSU when Morley didn't know his coverage assignment and blew a 4th and 18 and ultimately the game.

Wasn't it like 4th and 9? :dunno:

mike hart rushed for over 1400 yds his freshman year.

While Tebow wasn't the man last year for Florida, he certainly helped his team's cause.

Percy Harvin also made plays.

mcfadden had 1100 yds his freshman yr.

Michael Crabtree already has over 1000 yds receiving in his freshman campaign.

I'm not saying make the freshmen the superstars of the team, but freshmen do make it and more often than people realize.

Cal even used Jahvid Best against us.

It's a difficult concept for some to grasp.

I do have to say though that while Jones is easy to understand since he's a freshman on top of being hurt, O'Neal is starting to look like a bust. You would think that the coaches expected more immediate impact from a JUCO guy.

if Im not mistaken, wasnt O'Neal very, very good as a freshman at FSU? then how is it that he cant find the field with our lack of depth at wr? it's not as if he's never played on this level, he has and he's been successful.

While Tebow wasn't the man last year for Florida, he certainly helped his team's cause.

I'm not saying make the freshmen the superstars of the team, but freshmen do make it and more often than people realize.

Well i would hope they would use Jahvid Best against anyone....there is nobody on our team or even at the university that can run with that guy...that dude was quick!!

Stop using logic when it comes to playing talented freshman. We all know its just a track meet on Saturdays and we should just put our best athletes out there and "see what happens" in the game. Their is a mental aspect to the game that most posters don't even begin to respect. Like he said above, we play freshman, the ones that can play. Creer, Berry, Vinson, Moore play very meaningful snaps. There are others that play special teams and are in the 2 and 3 deep. O'Neal rested on his media credentials when he got to Knoxville and he did not work hard or learn anything. He expected it to be given to him. That is his fault not the coaches. What other freshman do you think we should be playing because of their athletic prowess?

there is some merit to what you are saying, but I get so sick of people talking about the mental aspect of the game. Football is not rocket science. Yes it does require certain mental attributes, but there are plenty of guys that have been very, very successful as players that cant spell cat even if you spot them the c and the a.

Well i would hope they would use Jahvid Best against anyone....there is nobody on our team or even at the university that can run with that guy...that dude was quick!!

Jahvid Best is super quick! I wonder if theres anyone on our team that could even keep up with that kid?

* Crabtree is a RS Freshman (not applicable to this argument)
* Eric Berry starts as a true freshman
* Brent Vinson starts as a true freshman
* Lennon Creer sees the field as ofter as Jahvid Best

I don't believe the coaching staff should feel the need to play true freshmen just to appease the fans. We are talking about 17 and 18 year old kids that are now expected to compete with guys that have spend three, four, or five years in the same system and, more importantly, in the weightroom/conditioning program. Four or five true freshman contributors is plenty.... and more could be a disaster (and an indictment of your upperclassmen).

* Crabtree is a RS Freshman (not applicable to this argument)
* Eric Berry starts as a true freshman
* Brent Vinson starts as a true freshman
* Lennon Creer sees the field as ofter as Jahvid Best

I don't believe the coaching staff should feel the need to play true freshmen just to appease the fans. We are talking about 17 and 18 year old kids that are now expected to compete with guys that have spend three, four, or five years in the same system and, more importantly, in the weightroom/conditioning program. Four or five true freshman contributors is plenty.... and more could be a disaster (and an indictment of your upperclassmen).

Well put.

I was once one of the biggest advocates for playing O'Neal and Jones. I also said Vinson would be one of our biggest playmakers at WR....

I guess this is why they play the games and why the coaching staff is paid to make the decisions...

Vinson obviously was clueless at reciever but is thriving at CB...

And I am with everyone who says "Stop calling O'Neal and Jones playmakers"....

Can anyone point me to any significant "play"...let alone "plays".... that either has made this season

I was once one of the biggest advocates for playing O'Neal and Jones. I also said Vinson would be one of our biggest playmakers at WR....

I guess this is why they play the games and why the coaching staff is paid to make the decisions...

Vinson obviously was clueless at reciever but is thriving at CB...

And I am with everyone who says "Stop calling O'Neal and Jones playmakers"....

Can anyone point me to any significant "play"...let alone "plays".... that either has made this season

Instead of "made" how about we go with "participate in"

Jahvid Best is super quick! I wonder if theres anyone on our team that could even keep up with that kid?

O'Neal qualified for the Jr Nationals with a legit 10.34, not sure if that's a personal best or not but that's running with Jahvid.

As to the rest of it I just don't know. I mean, Denarius Moore was little more than "the guy coming up with Creer" to me when he got here. He and O'Neal are at the same position with the same coaches and the former is getting PT while the latter isn't. And this is IN SPITE of all that speed. I'm just having a tough time reconciling that with coaching.

O'Neal qualified for the Jr Nationals with a legit 10.34, not sure if that's a personal best or not but that's running with Jahvid.

As to the rest of it I just don't know. I mean, Denarius Moore was little more than "the guy coming up with Creer" to me when he got here. He and O'Neal are at the same position with the same coaches and the former is getting PT while the latter isn't. And this is IN SPITE of all that speed. I'm just having a tough time reconciling that with coaching.[/quote]

Ever heard of James(?) Jett...not sure about that first name but I know his last name was Jett...

Sometimes world class speed just doesn't amount to squat on the football field

As to the rest of it I just don't know. I mean, Denarius Moore was little more than "the guy coming up with Creer" to me when he got here. He and O'Neal are at the same position with the same coaches and the former is getting PT while the latter isn't. And this is IN SPITE of all that speed. I'm just having a tough time reconciling that with coaching.

Look, you can't help those that aren't willing to help themselves. Maybe O'Neal came in with the "I'm a 5-star recruit, I should start by default"
That mindset certainly is prevalent on this board. As far as I'm concerned, all the numbers don't matter except for the number on your jersey, and the amount of work that you're willing to put out. Blame the coaches if you want, but I think they're done rewarding lackadaisical work ethics and arrogant attitudes. Or so I hope.

VN Store

Back