Jones and O'neal

zehr27

I'm a lawyer
Does anyone think we will get to see these guys in action at all this weekend? Why not give are playmakers a chance.

How do you know they are playmakers if they have yet to make any play?

Does anyone think we will get to see these guys in action at all this weekend? Why not give are playmakers a chance.

Okay, all I have to say is this: what designates these guys our "playmakers"?

That label has been thrown around a lot and I would say that if O'Neal was a "playmaker" that he would have earned a roster spot, or at least more playing time... vying against freshmen and sophomores.

His attribute is speed? What if he can't learn his routes? What if Ainge calls a hot-route and he messes it up? Ainge might throw an interception...

Jones is different, and has been nursing a hamstring injury that should be good to go now, but he won't be on the field until he knows what he is supposed to do.

How do you know they are playmakers if they have yet to make any play?

It's a difficult concept for some to grasp.

I do have to say though that while Jones is easy to understand since he's a freshman on top of being hurt, O'Neal is starting to look like a bust. You would think that the coaches expected more immediate impact from a JUCO guy.

If I'm not mistaken, Millwood posted somewhere that Jones has requested to be redshirted.

If I were him, and it looked like my injury was healed, I would not do it.

He is going to allow other Freshmen and Sophomores to get ahead of him on the depth chart. If he's healthy, I would think I would he would want to be out there competing.

If I'm not mistaken, Millwood posted somewhere that Jones has requested to be redshirted.

I remember seeing that too. It's got to be hard for a kid who is used to being the man to suddenly find himself having to wait his turn. Still though, there are a lot of meaningful games left to be played. He may get his shot yet.

Millwood did say that, i remember discussing it with him in some thread. I still want to know what happened Saturday. Hopefully Jones is still happy to be a Vol and looks forward to contributing next year. I'd still love to somehow see him out there this Saturday though. Biggest thing is that he's in orange for many more Saturdays to come though.

I don't understand why everyone is so concerned about Jones not playing and leaving. Plenty highly touted guys rs (Chris Donald) plus Jones has had injury issues.

i don't like the fact that everyone says he's now completely healthy and was supposed to play and didn't. Now he's suddenly asking for a redshirt. To me everything doesn't quite add up.

i don't like the fact that everyone says he's now completely healthy and was supposed to play and didn't. Now he's suddenly asking for a redshirt. To me everything doesn't quite add up.

Yeah, I think what happened was Fulmer told him and the media that Jones would play and he didn't.

It's a difficult concept for some to grasp.

I do have to say though that while Jones is easy to understand since he's a freshman on top of being hurt, O'Neal is starting to look like a bust. You would think that the coaches expected more immediate impact from a JUCO guy.

I think with learning 3 wr positions it's unreasonable to expect serious contribution out of a first year player, even if he is JUCO.

But I say overall that's the fault of the coaches. Other coaches find ways to get their young athletes invlolved while ours are buried under playbook and blocking.

He may end up a bust, but I won't necessarily blame O'Neal.

that's one answer i guess, but before his injury he was very high on the depth chart, even above some current starters. he then gets injured, heals, is told he will play, doesn't play, and suddenly asks for a redshirt at the exact moment the door is swung wide open for UT to still win the SECE. just weird to me.

I think with learning 3 wr positions it's unreasonable to expect serious contribution out of a first year player, even if he is JUCO.

But I say overall that's the fault of the coaches. Other coaches find ways to get their young athletes invlolved while ours are buried under playbook and blocking.

He may end up a bust, but I won't necessarily blame O'Neal.[/quote]

SHOCKER!

that's one answer i guess, but before his injury he was very high on the depth chart, even above some current starters. he then gets injured, heals, is told he will play, doesn't play, and suddenly asks for a redshirt at the exact moment the door is swung wide open for UT to still win the SECE. just weird to me.

There could be many other contributing factors.

Yeah, I think what happened was Fulmer told him and the media that Jones would play and he didn't.

Fulmer was asked if he'd see alot of snaps. Fulmer said he'd see the field but balked at alot, for what its worth.

He may end up a bust, but I won't necessarily blame O'Neal.

When you're a running football team, I'd rather have good blockers and kids that know what play is being called.

Then again you're the type of guy that wants the talent on the field above all else. Then you're the guy that blames the coaches for losing to LSU when Morley didn't know his coverage assignment and blew a 4th and 18 and ultimately the game.

I just think at some points you have to get the kids out there and let them make plays or not. You can't protect them. Florida doesn't protect their freshmen like we do. I'm sick of the not having them ready card. If that's the case, the fire fulmer debate should be closed.

Well if they can't pick up the system, don't put them out there. I think our WR's are performing well. Why mess with it. Everyone complains about the lack of big plays. Well LT is 2nd in the SEC in receiving yardage. Rogers caught 3 tough 3rd down balls against UGA.

We aren't protecting freshmen....Creer, Berry, Vinson, Moore. They are ready play, so they play. The others would get more significant reps if they earn it, but obviously they don't.

and they all see limited action except for Berry. Why is our system so hard to pick up, yet other school's are able to find ways to get their talented, athletic freshmen on the field? I just don't buy it UTCLA

VN Store

Back