Johnny Majors Passed Away

Heard a rumor that Majors passed. I am hoping the guy is full of it, but I was curious if anyone else had heard this. Seems like the news would be all over it if if true?

Sorry if insensitive forum thread. I have typed it up and deleted a few times now.
Pat Dye passed but I haven't heard anything about Coach Majors

It's apparently true. One of my fellow employees was a manager for the football team in Majors first year and has remained very close to the Coach ever since. He emailed me earlier this morning to tell me.

Majors was a VFL whose blood ran with a deep orange hue. A bad ending for his tenure as coach at Tennessee, but you can't dispute he loved the Big Orange.

It's apparently true. One of my fellow employees was a manager for the football team in Majors first year and has remained very close to the Coach ever since. He emailed me earlier this morning to tell me.

Majors was a VFL whose blood ran with a deep orange hue. A bad ending for his tenure as coach at Tennessee, but you can't dispute he loved the Big Orange.
Oh no...I had the pleasure of playing golf with Coach Majors during one of the Big Orange Caravan events in Chattanooga. Really liked him. This is sad if true..

Reactions: StarRaider
Just did a google search....nada. I hope Majors is in good health this morning. I’m pretty close to the Majors family and have not heard anything.

Reactions: AllVols
Heard a rumor that Majors passed. I am hoping the guy is full of it, but I was curious if anyone else had heard this. Seems like the news would be all over it if if true?

Sorry if insensitive forum thread. I have typed it up and deleted a few times now.
Edit. Looks like we have confirmation now. RIP.

I had always hoped he would be at the UT- Pitt games scheduled for 2021-22. He was an important coach for both schools

Found this article from when the series was announced.
Pitt announces football series with Tennessee

The schools announced a two-game series Wednesday. It will be played in 2021 and 2022 with the first game Sept. 11, 2021 at Tennessee’s Neyland Stadium, the return game Sept. 10, 2022 at Heinz Field.
“I think if I were a player, I’d be real excited to be playing,” Majors said Wednesday. “If I were Tennessee playing Pittsburgh or if I were at Pittsburgh playing at Tennessee. A lot of these players have no idea about history, but they’ll find out about it.”
Pitt and Tennessee previously have played twice, both times with Majors on the Volunteers sideline.

The Panthers won games in 1980 and 1983. The first game was Pitt’s first against Majors since he left for Tennessee after winning a national championship with the Panthers in 1976.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back