Johnny Majors Passed Away

RIP Coach. Him and Dye passing in the same week is almost poetic.

10392656.jpg

sad to hear, great coach, I will always remember his answer to the questions surrounding his challenges
in his first year at UT as head coach after his success at Pitt.: " It's a long way from the Penthouse to the Outhouse"!

Reactions: SmokinBob and TC 83
RIP Coach. Heard the man speak a couple times. Had some great stories, specifically of his first few weeks of college football practice at Tennessee.

He used to call his mother back home and talk with her about how college was. He was surprised to find, and told his mother, "Mother, you wouldn't believe it, but they miss tackles in college too". Citing his elusive ability to avoid would-be tacklers in not only high school, but also on the college level. Should have won the Heisman.

I met coach Majors at Doc Rudders funeral. He couldn’t have been nicer. We had a good conversation. He was such an integral part of Tennessee football. I always had him on my Vols rushmore. Thank you to one of greatest Vols ever.

RIP Coach Majors. My lifelong love of the Vols developed during the magical '85 season. 8 years old at the time, and still have vivid memories of our beloved SugarVols.

As a life long Sooner, when I think of Johnny Majors the first name that comes to mind is Paul Hornung.The H.T. voting in 1956 was a travesty for not only Majors but two Sooners, Tommy MacDonald and Jerry Tubbs, and Jim Brown. Hornung should have never won the H.T.

Hornung was obviously a great player but a guy on a 2 win team with a 3:13 TD/INT ratio has no business winning the Heisman. Brown was obviously best pro player from that group but based on how the Heisman has always been given out, it should have gone to Majors or to a slightly lesser degree, MacDonald.

VN Store

Back