John Ward tribute

How about "Tickled the twine" "Bang" "What did He do? He SCORED!" "GOOOODAH!" So Many! I've heard other announcers use BOTTOM and BANG; But no Zing to it. Ward was Pure Perfection. And that's hard to attain. HE DID IT.
One of my favorite Wardisms, besides the obvious...
Did he make it? The crowd will tell you!!
👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
GBO!!

Incredible! Thanks for sharing.

As great as Ward was calling football games he may have been better with basketball. Do any of you remember where he sat at Stokely? It way up above the seats, IIRC.

I grew up listening to Ward and he was definitely better at basketball than football because he had Bill Anderson to help shoulder the load on the football broadcasts.

Reactions: TRUEFANVol
John Ward and Bill Anderson are a huge part of my TN football memories. I miss them both and I'm thankful that I was alive during the John Ward era.

GBO20211230_123639.gif

*I'd like to see John Wilkerson move into "The Voice of The Vols" role. His baseball call is fantastic and he's been very exciting when he's gotten to call basketball games. I know there will never be another John Ward, but VOL fans deserve more than Kesling's boring football calls. I wish UT would give Wilkerson a UT football game to call, at least one time.

Reactions: Frozevol
You didn't mind not being at the game because John would always tell you everything you needed to know. Great, Great Broadcaster.

This thread got me thinking, unless I just missed something I feel like the university has not properly honored and commemorated John Ward. I dont know, I feel like he should have a statue or a whole lot of $hit named after him or SOMETHING.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRUEFANVol
Here's an article that was posted with the video.

Peyton Manning on John Ward

“When I think about John Ward, I think about what an incredible life… what an incredible man… and what an incredible Tennessee Volunteer he was. Back when I was in school, and later when I was playing pro ball, whenever I would call someone in the Tennessee Athletic Department—whether I was calling Coach Fulmer, Coach Cutcliffe, Joe Harrington or anyone in the football department—I used to like when one of the assistants would answer and put me on hold, because when they put you on hold, you got to listen to John Ward radio calls from that season or some of his legendary calls from memorable games. That was the ‘holding music.’ And I used to just love staying on hold—I almost didn’t want the person I was calling to pick up. I just loved hearing his voice and hearing some of his great calls of Tennessee football history.”

WATCH: Tennessee Releases Touching John Ward Tribute Video | Rocky Top Insider

ONE word. LEGEND
My Fall Saturdays were often spent listening to Ward (whether the game was on TV or not)
My license plate even says GVEMSIX

VN Store

Back