John Brice twitter

Who's to say Saban didn't try to hired a better analyst or Canales and had to settle for Wienke.

Reactions: 1 person
By whose standards? I'd argue the opposite.

Look at the coaching career tab under each. You'll see Winkie has very little coaching experience and a poor pro career. Canales has roots in the BYU family when they were airing it out and many years of successful QB coaching experience. I agree Cacales is not qualified to be OC or HC but Winkie has no experience at either.
AL hired Winkie for recruiting not QB coach. Coaching highschool QBs counts for nothing.
Note that Canales has been trying to climb the ladder by going for OC and HC positions. Had he taken P5 jobs as QB coach perhaps he would have several NFL QBs playing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Canales

USU football: Mike Canales named assistant head coach, running backs coach and tight ends coach | Deseret News

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Weinke

Reactions: 1 person
Who's to say Saban didn't try to hired a better analyst or Canales and had to settle for Wienke.

Who's to say that Butch was the only P5 coach who was ever gonna hire Canales and that Saban was thrilled to hire who he believes to be a young up and comer in Chris Weinke?

think about it. yall b**ching that we didn't hire someone that bama didn't even hire as a full position coach but a quality contol/analyst role. let that sink in.

Bingo.

Which is what Butch should have hired him for, but he isn't Butch's buddy or worked with him before so he probably wasn't even considered.

I really don't get this statement. Was Sorrentino, the guy Butch actually hired as his offensive QC analyst one of Butch's buddies? Was Warren? Was Beard? Was Brown? Was Hoke? Was Shoop last year? Just because Butch has hired people he knew for a long time, such as Debord and Canales, doesn't mean that is a prerequisite for Butch to hire someone. I would have thought most of the hires Butch has made this season would prove that, but yet I still see people making this statement like it is gospel.

I really don't get this statement. Was Sorrentino, the guy Butch actually hired as his offensive QC analyst one of Butch's buddies? Was Warren? Was Beard? Was Brown? Was Hoke? Was Shoop last year? Just because Butch has hired people he knew for a long time, such as Debord and Canales, doesn't mean that is a prerequisite for Butch to hire someone. I would have thought most of the hires Butch has made this season would prove that, but yet I still see people making this statement like it is gospel.

It's all about the narrative, not what's actually taken place.

Look at the coaching career tab under each. You'll see Winkie has very little coaching experience and a poor pro career. Canales has roots in the BYU family when they were airing it out and many years of successful QB coaching experience. I agree Cacales is not qualified to be OC or HC but Winkie has no experience at either.
AL hired Winkie for recruiting not QB coach. Coaching highschool QBs counts for nothing.
Note that Canales has been trying to climb the ladder by going for OC and HC positions. Had he taken P5 jobs as QB coach perhaps he would have several NFL QBs playing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Canales

USU football: Mike Canales named assistant head coach, running backs coach and tight ends coach | Deseret News

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Weinke
It seems to me that Canales is a better fit for UT than Weinke. Canales' offensive coaching acumen could be helpful to Scott as a 1st-year OC. Perhaps Canales could also become a potential OC successor, if Scott gets hired away later.

However, Weinke's credentials do seem to be adequate for UA's needs. I assume the plan is for Weinke to be promoted to QB Coach when the 10th assistant is approved. Considering the current staff, it's the one additional coach UA needs.

Weinke was a good college QB and then an NFL QB for 7 seasons. While coaching the IMG team, he was also a private tutor at IMG for NFL QBs. Most recently, he was an NFL QB coach for two years with the Rams.

Daboll, UA's new OC/QB Coach, is good at teaching QBs about reading defenses, progressions, etc., but he's not a "QB whisperer" adept at teaching passing mechanics. UA also promoted Mike Locksley from Offensive Analyst to Co-OC/WR Coach -- perhaps a potential OC successor if Daboll gets hired away later.

The QBs on UA's roster are Jalen Hurts (sophomore) and two early enrollees (true freshman). And Jalen's passing game needs significant improvement.

So, Weinke seems like a pretty good QB Coach fit for UA's needs. Unfortunately, as an analyst, he can't directly coach players. Hopefully the 10th assistant gets approved in April instead of being delayed. But even then, spring camp will be over in April.

Last edited:

There are exceptions (especially on defense, because that isn't Butch's domain) but for the most part Butch hires/keeps guys he knows and has worked with before and only makes moves when it is painfully obvious an upgrade is needed. Jancek, Bajakian, Azzanni, DeBord, Canales, Stripling, Mahoney, Martinez...the names are numerous.

The reason that is a narrative is because that is what has largely taken place.

Hiring Shoop had to be outside of his comfort zone (although I don't think he gives him autonomy over his assistants like he should) and Scott is a mildly outside-the-box hire; I will give him credit for that.

VN Store

Back