John Brice twitter

We have what, 20+ years of meh with Canales with nothing but transient moving around from primarily low level program to low level program, not really able to even settle on a particular position to coach.....he comes to us from Utah State where he was coaching running backs.

Weinke played qb at the highest collegiate level at FSU, won a heisman trophy as their qb......played qb in the NFL, was one of 32 NFL qb coaches on the planet the last 2 seasons.

I can't definitively say he's better than Canales, don't have first hand knowledge to be sure.....but who's resume suggests they are likely the better qb coaching prospect? I'm gonna go with Weinke.
You are assuming that UT turned Weinke down for the job. Could Weinke have said thanks but no thanks?

Reactions: 3 people
Wienke wasn't retained by Rams for a reason. What has he ever done in coaching? Coaching wise, he's very inexperienced.

Jones hired two NFL assistants yesterday, both with better coaching resumes than Wienke and this board goes bat**** crazy cause Saban hired him.

Who cares if Saban hired some NFL QB washout with inexperience at coaching, as a quality control guy(His Wikipedia page says Alabama hired him as the new QB coach)? Maybe Canales to UT, turns out to be his true calling, maybe it doesn't. Regardless, Canales has much more experience than Chris Wienke!

Reactions: 2 people
Exactly, but see that would make too much sense... another poor decision by Butch.... the list is getting quite long... but hey, we got another one of his buddies, so its all good. I am sure he's gonna kill it in recruiting more than someone like a Weinke would with direct ties to IMG and is still relevant... :good!:

Is Kevin Beard one of his buddies?

Reactions: 1 person
Former Heisman Trophy winner Chris Weinke joining Alabama staff | AL.com
Former Heisman Trophy winner Chris Weinke is joining Alabama's staff as an offensive analyst, he confirmed to 247Sports' Josh Newberg.

The 44-year old was the St. Louis/Los Angeles Rams' quarterbacks coach the last two years after five years as the head coach at IMG Academy in Florida, where he coached Crimson Tide star running back Bo Scarbrough.

Weinke is the oldest player to ever win the Heisman, winning it as a 28-year old senior at Florida State in 2000.

A 2001 fourth-round pick of the Carolina Panthers, Weinke played seven years in the NFL, six for the Panthers (2001-06) and one for the San Francisco 49ers (2007).

Coincidentally, Weinke's first game as a member of the Alabama staff is against Florida State.

I assume the plan is for Weinke to be promoted to QB Coach when the 10th assistant is approved. Given the current staff, a dedicated QB Developer/Coach is the one additional coach UA needs.

Brian Daboll, UA's OC/QB Coach, is good at teaching QBs about reading defenses, progressions, etc., but isn't really a "QB whisperer" adept at teaching QB passing fundamentals. UA also promoted Mike Locksley from Offensive Analyst to Co-OC/WR Coach. With Locksley's offensive acumen and experience, he could be a potential successor to Daboll.

Weinke was an NFL QB for 7 seasons. In addition to coaching the IMG team, he was also a private tutor at IMG for NFL QBs. Most recently, he was NFL QB coach for two years with the Rams.

So, Weinke seems like a pretty well qualified QB Developer/Coach and good fit for UA's needs. Hopefully the 10th assistant gets approved in April instead of being delayed. The only QBs on the roster are Jalen Hurts (true soph.) and two early enrollees (true fresh.). And Jalen's passing game needs significant improvement.

Last edited:
My grandma could sure screw up a bologna sandwich when I was a kid. I loved bologna sandwiches but I was picky and only liked them plain. Bologna and bread, that's all. My grandma would go to fix me a sandwich and I'd say, "I just want it plain." She'd say, "You don't want any lettuce and tomato on it?" No, just plain. "Nothing at all??" No, just plain. Then she'd bring me what looked like a plain bologna sandwich and I'd bite into bread, bologna... and mayonnaise. I'd spit it out, about half gagging, and she'd say, "What's wrong with it?" I'd tell her it was the mayo, I hated mayo, I had wanted my sandwich plain. She'd say, "I didn't think that meant no mayonnaise! How can you eat a bologna sandwich without mayonnaise??"

Bro ur just strange

Reactions: 2 people
Duh. I was asking why he got fired?

Duh, because he can't work there no more.

In all seriousness, he was fired because of the fallout on the Haney article. He approved the article and didn't realize the backlash it would get so he tried backtracking and tried to force 247 into doing a revision story/article. He lost what sources he had (although wasn't great to start with) so kept showing his butt on Twitter towards 247 to try to get back in good with his 50/50 sources.

Seriously? Nick Saban hired Bo Davis, who got fired for NCAA infractions. He now works at UT-San Antonio. Does that mean it was a good hire?

Just because Saban hires someone doesn't automatically means it's good.

Yeah, that Saban guy has no idea what he's doing down there. Who do you trust more to make quality decisions about his program? Saban or Butch?

Duh, because he can't work there no more.

In all seriousness, he was fired because of the fallout on the Haney article. He approved the article and didn't realize the backlash it would get so he tried backtracking and tried to force 247 into doing a revision story/article. He lost what sources he had (although wasn't great to start with) so kept showing his butt on Twitter towards 247 to try to get back in good with his 50/50 sources.

Well that backfired on him

You are assuming that UT turned Weinke down for the job. Could Weinke have said thanks but no thanks?

Pretty good assumption, no? Brought him in, interviewed him for the qb coach job, and we soon after hired Jones' buddy Canales. Butch was also on record saying he brought in 10 qb coaches, but "from the beginning, I knew it was gonna be him" (Canales).

Doubt Weinke said no thanks to a $200k-300k+ job at a great program like Tennessee in hopes he could land that QC/analyst job at Bama for a fraction of the salary. Just trying to put 2 and 2 together....adds up to 4 imo.

Last edited:
KB. How bout a chill pill pal ?

Chill pill? For what? Relaxed as can be. Just asking questions and trying to connect dots on a message board. Strictly an academic exercise, no harm no foul.

What exactly is that QB resume of success does Canales have?

Canales is a top OC and QBs coach. He worked on Jim Levitt's staff with coach Scott at USF. Tampa Tenn alumns know how good he is. You non-believers need to hold your negative opinions until you see what the Vols offense does this year. With yhe staff we have now we should garner some more op ten recruiting classes.

Canales is a top OC and QBs coach. He worked on Jim Levitt's staff with coach Scott at USF. Tampa Tenn alumns know how good he is. You non-believers need to hold your negative opinions until you see what the Vols offense does this year. With yhe staff we have now we should garner some more op ten recruiting classes.

That's a bit of a stretch. Actually a pretty big stretch. Top OCs/QB coaches don't find themselves coaching RBs and TEs at Utah State at the 30-year mark in their career if they are exceptionally good at their jobs.

We have what, 20+ years of meh with Canales with nothing but transient moving around from primarily low level program to low level program, not really able to even settle on a particular position to coach.....he comes to us from Utah State where he was coaching running backs.

Weinke played qb at the highest collegiate level at FSU, won a heisman trophy as their qb......played qb in the NFL, was one of 32 NFL qb coaches on the planet the last 2 seasons.

I can't definitively say he's better than Canales, don't have first hand knowledge to be sure.....but who's resume suggests they are likely the better qb coaching prospect? I'm gonna go with Weinke.

I have to go with Canales. I really don't see how a resume as a player plus 2 years of coaching makes someone a better coaching prospect than someone with 30+ years of coaching, with over 20 of those years working directly with QBs.

You also say that other than Rivers, Canales has nothing on his resume, which is not so. He also coached Matt Grothe at USF, who turned out to be a pretty good college QB, setting several Big East records. He didn't make it to the NFL, but he was a 3* coming out of HS with his only college offer being USF.

He also coached Willie Tuitama at AZ, who was also a pretty good college QB. Tuitama was a 4* coming out of HS, but his only offers were AZ and Washington. He also didn't make it to the NFL, but it was always speculated that his DUI arrest right before the draft that year seriously damaged his chances of being drafted.

You also don't seem to want to give any credit to Canales for Rivers, saying that he only coached PR in his sophomore and junior seasons, and that he wasn't as good those seasons. Which implies that he was great his freshman season, then regressed his so and jr seasons, and then was magically great again his sr season under a new QB coach.

The problem with that argument though is that if you look at Rivers' college career he showed steady improvement every year at NCSt, which actually suggests he had good QB coaching throughout his career. And for all we know the coaching he got from Canales during his so and jr seasons carried over into his sr season. The other alternative, obviously, is that PR got even better QB coaching his sr season, which was a phenomenal season, but even so, that doesn't mean Canales was a bad QB coach. And PR's steady improvement during his college career would seem to enforce that thought.

Bottom line obviously is that the proof is in the pudding, and we will have to see how the young QBs develop under Canales. But I see no reason whatsoever at this time to fuss about Weinke not being hired as QB coach over Canales.

A "top OC and QB coach"? Come on man. He's so "top", that after 25 years in the business, he found himself at mighty North Texas, followed by Utah State where he was neither coordinating offenses nor even coaching quarterbacks.

I've acknowledged and given Jones credit for what looks to be some really good hires this offseason.....Warren, Hoke and Gullickson all look to be outstanding hires. Hopefully Beard is one as well. But Wells simply isn't and anyone being honest knows exactly what the Canales hire was for Butch, who's on record saying that despite interviewing 10 coaches for the position, that he knew Canales, his long time buddy, was the choice from the beginning.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back