Joe Milton outlook?

I've heard a couple people say they would take hendon in a foot race to 20 yards but they would take Milton in a foot race to 60 yards

Don't have a clue, but hope he is the better option when we need 1 to 2 yards on critical 3rd and 4th downs. The rest is gravy at QB FOR ME.

If my reading comprehension is as bad as you think it is, then we need to find a different university to follow because I aced the English classes at UT. Having said that, I clearly didn’t see the context leading up to the post and misread it. For what it’s worth, Beasley=Beasley, Pili > Mitchell, Carter > Banks, Herring > Page.
That's too bad because you very clearly read something into my statement that was not there.

Agree with you assessment though I still contend that Beasley has progressed from well behind Banks to well ahead of where he was in his last game.

Reactions: butchna
First off this is not a feeble attempt at trolling, I hope you folks that remember me understand that’s not why I’m here. No, honestly I’d just like your opinions or honest outlooks for Milton. I’d ask the same on my home team forum and while there are a few that try to give honest evaluations there are many more that don’t care and just post something ridiculous and basically just repeat the “overthrow Joe mantra”.

My uneducated opinion, as I very likely know much less about Milton than you folks is that I honestly think he could potentially be very good in CJH’s offense. He looked promising in the bowl game against Clemson. He without doubt has an arm that is capable of making any throw at this level or the next. And it isn’t uncommon in college football to see a QB that struggles early in his career really shine towards the end. And correct me if I’m remembering wrong, but didn’t he beat out Hooker to begin the 2021 season?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a GA fan so I don’t want to see Milton take my Dawgs to school. But I’m also a CFB fan so I’d be pleased to see an overlooked older player get things together and do well. So what are your thoughts VolNation? Can Milton shine in 2023? Seems like a CJH offense is a pretty good setting for him to me.

I've seen more bad than good of old Joe these last two years, and as a result still have limited expectations for the guy. UT relied heavily on the run game after HH went down. He showed some improvement in the Clemson game, only overthrowing one wide open touchdown. He's a big guy with a big arm that doesn't move much. The key to his success (and the teams) will be converting first downs. If he misses on some key 3rd down throws it could cost them the game(s).

Of course, I am hopeful that he is super awesome and beats the crap out of everybody, especially UGA.

Reactions: DirtyDawg
I am very excited about Joe Milton.

The first thing I would say about Milton is that the Orange Bowl performance was insanely impressive to me. That was a damn good Clemson team with a damn good defense. Not on the level of 2015-2020 Clemson, obviously, but they had ballers at all positions. I still don’t know if some of our fans fully appreciate how big-time Milton played in that game. There were some throws he made in that game that I don’t even know if Hooker makes, just because of how much velocity had to be put on the ball to fit it into that small of a window. Mainly talking about the touchdown passes to Bru and Squirrel + the 3rd down conversion to Keyton at the most critical juncture of the game.

I also think, and maybe I’m being a little too crazy, but I think Milton is one of the top 3 most talented QBs UT has ever had, based on physical traits alone, up there with Shuler (#3 overall pick in the NFL Draft) and Manning (#1 overall pick in the NFL Draft). The dude is built like a greek demi-god.

Finally, like others have said, Milton really just needs to let the system do its job. If he doesn’t turn the ball over, this UT team has enough talent to beat every team on the schedule besides Bama, UGA and maybe Florida without him doing anything that special. In those 3 games, he’ll probably have to make some extraordinary plays in crunch time for us to win. I say Florida because they are just absolutely relentless when it comes to UT. I think Florida is going to suck next year, but in the game against UT, they’ll give us everything they’ve got.

Last edited:
Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
I've seen more bad than good of old Joe these last two years, and as a result still have limited expectations for the guy. UT relied heavily on the run game after HH went down. He showed some improvement in the Clemson game, only overthrowing one wide open touchdown. He's a big guy with a big arm that doesn't move much. The key to his success (and the teams) will be converting first downs. If he misses on some key 3rd down throws it could cost them the game(s).

Of course, I am hopeful that he is super awesome and beats the crap out of everybody, especially UGA.
What Joe Milton were you watching in 2022? There was very little bad to see. If you're referencing the overthrows in the pouring rain against Vandy, then you are choosing to ignore how accurate he was in every other game he played in. No, he isn't elusive like Hendon, but he is actually faster by the teams GPS measurements. Joe is a 6'5" 245lb pocket passer that is capable of burning a defense on designed runs. You just won't see a lot of improvising with his legs. I'm not bashing you, just implore you to take another look at 2022 Joe Milton.

Well, it appears to me that this entire staff is pretty happy with his response to their game plan and situation based instructions on risk/reward on exercising his manhood as a backup or THE starter without a healthy schollie backup. I have no idea why so many folks jumped on the urban legend he ran out of bounds on THE play,

View attachment 540045

Or that he grossly overthrew that tight end in the endzone,

View attachment 540046

NOBODY I know has any idea "how many" of his overthrows were his method of complying with don't put the ball at risk instructions instead of throwing it OOB or at someone's feet. Most have been go routes, not back shoulder throws or 50/50 ball type attempts, but the inferences just keep on coming. Like every play type, some incompletions were probably wrong or different reads by receivers leading to unexpected routes with two colors in his view finder. Those should be diminished with him getting the 1 practice and game reps with the guys usually on the field.

I don't have any reason to believe that the staff if faking their APPEARANT confidence in him in the past or currently as our QB. The way he processes game situations will not be like HH, but neither are his skill sets and I bet the gameplans and parameters on when and how to extend plays and drives. Too many times people make NO BRAINER assumptions in an all plays are equal world. The biggest flaw in analysis and application of statistics on a football field. Taking hits while running and putting the ball in tighter windows will be staff driven for him. Cowboying up and Farving passes may not be in his game instructions. Fact is, his and HH's interception numbers seem to indicate a different set of criteria. HH's exit surely demonstrates the risk in running, contact or not.

If he does not follow staff instructions, it will be easy to see as he exits the field and puts the headphones on the bench. Then I will more graciously accept factually supported game relevant pot shots and rhetorical questions if trends are really there.
I mentioned it before. His next int at TN will be his first after over 1200 yards 140 attempts and 12 TDs. But everyone wants to point out a few overthrows on bombs. That could just as easily be him not having good timing with the particular WR. Everything here gets blown out of proportion, especially whining.

The first thing I would say about Milton is that the Orange Bowl performance was insanely impressive to me. That was a damn good Clemson team with a damn good defense. Not on the level of 2015-2020 Clemson, obviously, but they had ballers at all positions. I still don’t know if some of our fans fully appreciate how big-time Milton played in that game. There were some throws he made in that game that I don’t even know if Hooker makes, just because of how much velocity had to be put on the ball to fit it into that small of a window. Mainly talking about the touchdown passes to Bru and Squirrel + the 3rd down conversion to Keyton at the most critical juncture of the game.

I also think, and maybe I’m being a little too crazy, but I think Milton is one of the top 3 most talented QBs UT has ever had, based on physical traits alone, up there with Shuler (#3 overall pick in the NFL Draft) and Manning (#1 overall pick in the NFL Draft). The dude is built like a greek demi-god.

Finally, like others have said, Milton really just needs to let the system do its job. If he doesn’t turn the ball over, this UT team has enough talent to beat every team on the schedule besides Bama, UGA and maybe Florida without him doing anything that special. In those 3 games, he’ll probably have to make some extraordinary plays in crunch time for us to win. I say Florida because they are just absolutely relentless when it comes to UT. I think Florida is going to suck next year, but in the game against UT, they’ll give us everything they’ve got.
You are not being crazy. He is arguably the most physically talented QB we have ever had and it would be true at almost any campus he stepped on. As far as overall physical gifts there is like him and Cam. I cant think of anyone else off the top of my head. Even Jamarcus Russel isnt in the convo as he was more on the chubby side and literally ate himself out of the NFL. He looks like a LEO playing QB.

Milton was very good in that Clemson game, but I wish he could be more of a threat in the run game. That’s part of what made Hendon so dangerous for opposing defenses.

Reactions: UTvol1fn
What Joe Milton were you watching in 2022? There was very little bad to see. If you're referencing the overthrows in the pouring rain against Vandy, then you are choosing to ignore how accurate he was in every other game he played in. No, he isn't elusive like Hendon, but he is actually faster by the teams GPS measurements. Joe is a 6'5" 245lb pocket passer that is capable of burning a defense on designed runs. You just won't see a lot of improvising with his legs. I'm not bashing you, just implore you to take another look at 2022 Joe Milton.

Like I stated, I'm looking at his whole body of work, although he did improve some in '22. My judgements on '22 are curbed because most of his action was in mop up duty, the Vanderbilt game, and the Clemson game. One good game (Orange Bowl) is not enough to sway my opinion. Sorry.

Terminate the Gators, burn the Tide, detonate the Bulldogs. Unleash the Javelin Joe, show no mercy, hang a hundred on all of them
JavelinJoe2.jpg

Reactions: Ratvol
Another thing is they probably limited Joes runs and told him not to run, take the sack and go down. Didn't need to risk him getting hurt with no real backup on the bench.
Interesting. never considered this. I was concerned mostly about him taking and not avoiding sacks in general. I felt it is a glaring weakness in decision making that needs to improve.

This is a NFL type throw and Catch. If Milton & Bru are on the same sheet of music the sky is the limit. Perfectly placed pass with great timing. There are other options as well. Best view is from the end zone and you will see how this is a big time throw. ss_20221230_204300188_2142863.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Orange. and butchna
I am optimistic that him and the current WRs will be working on timing all offseason and we will see a lot of receptions by Keyton and Squirrel. It seems if he can get his timing with the WRs down he can be unstoppable.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
Interesting. never considered this. I was concerned mostly about him taking and not avoiding sacks in general. I felt it is a glaring weakness in decision making that needs to improve.

Actually, it just shows how we fans presume and assume about stuff we don't know anything about. I like to think most of us know this, so just post our opinion without vilifying the players. That said, I think this coming season, we'll see Joe run more, I doubt as much as Hooker did, certainly more than we've seen to date. Being a Heup squadron, we will always pass the ball a lot. However, I see us becoming more of a running team in 2023. We have the horses for it, and in abundant numbers for rotating. We have opponents expecting us to pass, so positioned to defend it heavily. Meaning they will spread out, leaving gaps up front to be slashed by our RBs. In this setup, I believe the Heup will have Joe run more to complicate things for opponents' defenses. I traveled back to the 1950s, and asked Dick, Jane, Sally, and Spot about this. They said:

Run, Joe, Run
See Joe Run?
Run, Run, Run
1680274083650.png

Reactions: Ratvol
If my reading comprehension is as bad as you think it is, then we need to find a different university to follow because I aced the English classes at UT. Having said that, I clearly didn’t see the context leading up to the post and misread it. For what it’s worth, Beasley=Beasley, Pili > Mitchell, Carter > Banks, Herring > Page.
Good ole VN. Don’t have a contention handy? Make one up. 😏

I self-admittedly joined the VN Rat Race declaring Milton a fail after I stopped counting the overthrows in his 2021 starts. I consider myself at least partly football savvy and don’t generally jump the gun…but I followed suit. My own personal FAIL was in not recognizing that he was first man up in a new offense in a new setting and fell into the trap of trying to will this thing into existence. Hooker was able to initially sit and observe what doesn’t work when you force it in this system. Even then, his growing pains existed throughout the system…he just played through them. If Hooker had been less of a clinic, then Milton could have competed for the top spot…but we saw what happened. This season is Milton bringing his personal gifts to Heupel’s Petri dish. Nothing is certain or guaranteed, but the potential for great things is there and I’m looking forward to it.

s8fifjroxdtpxq1gji1i.png

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I self-admittedly joined the VN Rat Race declaring Milton a fail after I stopped counting the overthrows in his 2021 starts. I consider myself at least partly football savvy and don’t generally jump the gun…but I followed suit. My own personal FAIL was in not recognizing that he was first man up in a new offense in a new setting and fell into the trap of trying to will this thing into existence. Hooker was able to initially sit and observe what doesn’t work when you force it in this system. Even then, his growing pains existed throughout the system…he just played through them. If Hooker had been less of a clinic, then Milton could have competed for the top spot…but we saw what happened. This season is Milton bringing his personal gifts to Heupel’s Petri dish. Nothing is certain or guaranteed, but the potential for great things is there and I’m looking forward to it.

And Hooker was there for the Spring, while Milton had only been on campus a few weeks.

Just based on what we know today... I will be surprised if UT does not improve or hold at every position group except possibly OL. I don't think there will be a huge drop off on the OL but Wright and Carvin were very good players. OTOH, a program's OL development usually takes 2 or 3 years to really kick in.

I don't know how UT will stack up against this year's schedule. You can never predict injuries and while UT is much deeper than they were that could still cost them. But this roster is light years ahead of Heupel's first one in pretty much every respect and IMO a good bit ahead of last year's roster.

Surprised at the discounting of John Campbell. He’s getting acclimated to the system, but he had the highest pass blocking grade in the ACC last year. He’s going to be really good. Between Mincey and Crawford, the other OT spot should also be solid. And we’ll have a solid, experienced 3rd OT. I also think Karic will do well at Guard, his more natural position.

Surprised at the discounting of John Campbell. He’s getting acclimated to the system, but he had the highest pass blocking grade in the ACC last year. He’s going to be really good. Between Mincey and Crawford, the other OT spot should also be solid. And we’ll have a solid, experienced 3rd OT. I also think Karic will do well at Guard, his more natural position.
Not intentionally doing so. I just think he's an unknown as is the move of Mincey and Crawford to the right side. I like that competition though.

I appreciate Ollie Lane. I'm grateful for the heart and effort he's shown. But that OG position is the one that troubles me most.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

VN Store

Back