Joe Milton - Every Snap Minn, Mich St and Indiana

T2P_Priceless

I watched the snaps vs Minnesota, Mich St and Indiana and I gotta tell you this dude has major talent. He made some unbelievable throws on the run and can move around. The issues as has been documented is the heat on the ball and a few times threw into coverage (but all QBs do that sometimes). I have to say that the Michigan receivers dropped a ton of good passes and didn't get a lot of separation in their routes at times. Our receivers are going to be much faster this year I think. All in all I see why the staff is so high on him.

See for yourself:

He is talented for sure and this offense might be what he needs to really take off...He is a good thrower and can run like a horse so I guerss we'll see who comes out of top come gameday...I'll be happy regardless, I trust our coaching staff.

I saw the replay of UM-IU a week or so ago and was very impressed with his ability. I think Heupel can mold him into a great player.

Few observations -

1. His OL absolutely sucked. They were horrible. He had no time to set his feet.
2. He throws more accurately on the run.
3. He is very inaccurate downfield (probably because of his OL) in the videos.
4. He is not very accurate in the pocket over 10 yards (again, probably OL). He needs to be on the outside in bootlegs, etc throwing on the run.

Last edited:
I watched the snaps vs Minnesota, Mich St and Indiana and I gotta tell you this dude has major talent. He made some unbelievable throws on the run and can move around. The issues as has been documented is the heat on the ball and a few times threw into coverage (but all QBs do that sometimes). I have to say that the Michigan receivers dropped a ton of good passes and didn't get a lot of separation in their routes at times. Our receivers are going to be much faster this year I think. All in all I see why the staff is so high on him.

See for yourself:

I think I can safely say he will be throwing to better WRs ( I counted at least 15 drops) and a much better offensive system. Bell is the only WR that could get any separation.

Few observations -

1. His OL absolutely sucked. They were horrible. He had no time to set his feet.
3. He is very inaccurate downfield.
4. He is not very accurate in the pocket over 10 yards. He needs to be on the outside in bootlegs, etc throwing on the run.
Is this what Heupel has had his guys do in the past or have his guys been more pocket passers.

Okay dumb question..if its every snap why did I miss 14 points vs MN? Defensive or special teams points?

Reactions: joshwa

See for yourself:

Thanks for the film.

It’s nice to see all of his throws and not just the highlights. Some of my takeaways:
- His OL wasnt doing him many favors. He seemed to be running a lot, but he looked very good identifying pressure and getting rid of the ball.

-Wr’s were abysmal. Drops everywhere. Could it be the velocity on his throws or can they just not catch.

-His downfield passing could use work, especially when trying to throw over the top of the defense. Way overthrown.

- He has pretty good accuracy. He places the ball where it needs to be more times than not.

- He ran through his progressions which was really nice to see and usually made the right decision. Although, sometimes he through into traffic but as somebody said above every qb does

Overall, I was very impressed by his skill set. His issues at Michigan really don’t seem to warrant the criticism that he has received. Now, that he is 100% healthy, he will surprise a lot of folks around the country.

Is this what Heupel has had his guys do in the past or have his guys been more pocket passers.
Mostly from the pocket from what I can tell but they scheme to get the ball out quicker than what Michigan did last year.

I hadn't noticed how bad Michigan's OL was until someone pointed it out. Milton was constantly throwing off platform. Some of that was his decision making process and needing to get the ball out quicker but the OL was pretty awful. They didn't consistently give him a 2.5 second pocket for sure.

Few observations -

3. He is very inaccurate downfield (probably because of his OL) in the videos.
4. He is not very accurate in the pocket over 10 yards (again, probably OL). He needs to be on the outside in bootlegs, etc throwing on the run.

Isn't this the same thing that Washington State boards were saying?

Honestly, it was decent film, but not top tier qb play.

1. A couple of those aacks he should have thrown the ball away.

2. Need to develop a little more finesse on the shorter throws. It's hard for a wr to catch a 95 mph fastball from 20 feet.

3. Decision making on some of the mid length throws. More than a few times he threw into double coverage, when he had receivers open on other routes.

4. I hope he has gotten better on deep throws of 25+ yards, because he overthrew a lot of those.

He has arm talent, and can keep a defense honest with his legs. Maybe CJH has worked with him enough to get rid of some of those issues. And he's definitely light years better than what we had with JG.

Jmo which doesn't mean squat.

See for yourself:

Hope he does better here if he gets the chance, nothing jumped out extraordinary, seen jg make same throws and better runs.

Honestly, it was decent film, but not top tier qb play.

1. A couple of those aacks he should have thrown the ball away.

2. Need to develop a little more finesse on the shorter throws. It's hard for a wr to catch a 95 mph fastball from 20 feet.

3. Decision making on some of the mid length throws. More than a few times he threw into double coverage, when he had receivers open on other routes.

4. I hope he has gotten better on deep throws of 25+ yards, because he overthrew a lot of those.

He has arm talent, and can keep a defense honest with his legs. Maybe CJH has worked with him enough to get rid of some of those issues. And he's definitely light years better than what we had with JG.

Jmo which doesn't mean squat.
But but.. That's all everyone is talking about is that incredible arm strength.. All the player interviews.. First question that gets asked.. All joking aside.. My fear is during live action.. This may be a issue. He knows he can muscle the ball in... A good defense will key in on this... Like you.. Just my opinion.

VN Store

Back