JJ Peterson ?

Oh trust me I remember all that nonsense. Not sure about starting tho. Dude has been a disappointment since before day 1
How is the kid a disappointment? He struggled with grades and came in out of shape, which a lot of kids don’t come in in football shape. Hardly makes him a disappointment. Let’s see what he does on the field before we start throwing labels out there. How about that?

The whole point here was a true freshman is LIKELY to move ahead of JJ in the Rotation; and he was the "Crown Jewel" of last year's class. SOME of yall were obviously not HERE last year to remember the Conversations; and Some on here just Love to stir the pot. There is no civility anymore. Knuckleheads.

He's coming around. He has to stay healthy and eligible to play.

Make no mistake though. The 3 freshman we signed up in 2019 are ALL BETTER than him. Crouch was the best player in North Carolina. Henry T was the best defensive player in California. Roman Harrison IMO ...is better than both of them.

JJ will grow with them. He's a freshman just like them. This year and 2021 our LB play will be best in the conference.

Did I miss the start of summer practices? Seems early for projected depth charts.

this post is full of..............irony.

lol.

no one expected him to start once he didn't make it in for Summer/fall camp.

I didn't say that. I SAID we were all engrossed in him qualifying. And there is no irony here. What there is; is people posting negatives about every thread. Knuckleheads. Maybe they wouldn't be so Trite if they could post something worthwhile of their own. The IRONY is how VN can be so Combative when we are SUPPOSED to be linked together with one cause. There's your Irony. And posters can SAY they are not being combative, but the Proof is in the Dialogue .

I didn't say that. I SAID we were all engrossed in him qualifying. And there is no irony here. What there is; is people posting negatives about every thread. Knuckleheads. Maybe they wouldn't be so Trite if they could post something worthwhile of their own. The IRONY is how VN can be so Combative when we are SUPPOSED to be linked together with one cause. There's your Irony. And posters can SAY they are not being combative, but the Proof is in the Dialogue .
Yes. You literally said in the post that started this thread; that we "all" expected him to start.

You seem to be keenly self-unaware accusing others of causing combat. I like to joust. I make no secrets about it. I like to debate. I'd rather be proven wrong than not have the "battle". You seem to like to fight too... but seem to get offended when someone "fights" back or points out your errors.

I'm looking at a Depth Chart for the 2019 season (Projected) and it lists JJ Peterson as Third Team at MLB behind Bituli and Toto. And we all thought he would be a starting LB at some point last year!

Last edited:
he did not impress coaches during the spring and they do not expect him to play much this year. He was somewhat injured in the spring so I hope he has a great summer and shows his potential.

Is he on campus this summer?

I got the point. You're just wrong to assume something is wrong with Peterson at this point for the reasons you give. And you really think Pruitt shared his depth chart with Steele?

And you know what? You ought to man up and face it when you're wrong.
I think there are plenty of reasons to be concerned about JJ.

Not being combative, but JJ came in with a shoulder injury. During one practice Kirkland popped him pretty hard which caused the coaches to be concerned about playing him too early. CJP is very attentive to these matters and I think JJ has just as good a chance as any player in helping the vols.

@sjt18 covered it.

Reactions: Behr
Swain was talking about JJ just this morning. Said he didn’t come in and do the things he needed to do and didn’t progress like most of us expected. Didn’t call him a disappointment or a bust, just said maybe he can step it up this year and get some reps.

Try waiting until the season progresses, say around game3 or 4 and ask this question again.

See, it's sort of like the question of, "Where is astronaut Eric Boe?" The NASA, Like Tennessee, we let our once-elite program become an FCB level team. The NASA (or rather the federal government) let our once elite space program become a Russian client (for gosh sakes!). So we won't be seeing Eric Boe in an American rocket, heading spaceward, from American soil until it happens. Hopefully, sometime this month when an All-American SpaceX Dragon thunders and roars into the sky. Same with JJ Peterson. We won't see him until the season is in progress. Patience, JWF, both the NASA and JJ Peterson are getting there. Patience.

????

The whole point here was a true freshman is LIKELY to move ahead of JJ in the Rotation; and he was the "Crown Jewel" of last year's class. SOME of yall were obviously not HERE last year to remember the Conversations; and Some on here just Love to stir the pot. There is no civility anymore. Knuckleheads.

1465793238231.gif

he was the highest rated recruit of that 18 class, so expectations were placed on him, right or wrong.

struggles to qualify and misses the entire off season.

gets in, and is basicall a non contributor as a true freshman.

now headed in to a RS freshman year, has had injury issues and was out of shape.

so people are disappointed.

he's way young and has a ton of talent. there's plenty of time for him to be what many thought he could be. that he wasn't from day one isn't an indictiment on anything/anyone right now.

As to qualifying.
I have noticed over the years (Iast few anyway) that guys who have trouble with "smarts" or the discipline to "learn" with the smarts they have, have trouble "learning" the more advanced college game of football.

Phil Steele's Depth Chart (which is derived from communication with the coaching staff) Toto was a Position # 7 out of HS, Peterson a #4. And Toto is a TRUE Freshman. You obviously missed the whole point; while looking to make a statement. And you know what? I don't give a $#it what you think.

That's right don't give a sh-t what anyone else on here thinks, that is unless they agree with you. Maybe he did miss your point, but why not let it go at that?

As to qualifying.
I have noticed over the years (Iast few anyway) that guys who have trouble with "smarts" or the discipline to "learn" with the smarts they have, have trouble "learning" the more advanced college game of football.
lots goes in to that, not always just the individual's ability or effort level...support structure, basic environment for learning, and yes, the individual's own give a s**t level regarding such things lol.

either way, my only point is, and has been, that it's still early, and there's no reason to start labeling him anything other than a young guy that's had some adversity early on in his college career.

it''s TBD as to whether or not he overcomes it.

Reactions: barrylee
Swain was talking about JJ just this morning. Said he didn’t come in and do the things he needed to do and didn’t progress like most of us expected. Didn’t call him a disappointment or a bust, just said maybe he can step it up this year and get some reps.
swain regularly uses VN content on his show. i think we give him most of his show notes day to day.......... :)

VN Store

Back