Jim Tressel (merged)

Has any university ever hired a coach who was under an active show cause? In any sport? If so, what was the result? (Serious question.)

Talked with a friend this morning and the word is Tressel has interviewed , anybody heard this I would luv it

Just can't see that with a couple of years of show cause left with the ncaa. At this point, though, who knows what's going on.

I feel like no one realizes that pretty much every coach is lying in some form or fashion (most are little lies or infractions). Joe Pa, considerably one of or maybe the greatest coach in CF. I bet Saban has a couple of secrets under his belt. However, brings me to my point. Scandals like this are only blown up because the magnitude of the team. Little schools barely get any attention unless it's major, but a scandal that would barely affect the small school could be possibly huge for a larger(winning) school.

I feel like no one realizes that pretty much every coach is lying in some form or fashion (most are little lies or infractions). Joe Pa, considerably one of or maybe the greatest coach in CF. I bet Saban has a couple of secrets under his belt. However, brings me to my point. Scandals like this are only blown up because the magnitude of the team. Little schools barely get any attention unless it's major, but a scandal that would barely affect the small school could be possibly huge for a larger(winning) school.
True. I was never an OSU or Tressel fan, but when I did a little research into his show cause...especially after reading the NCAA ruling for myself, again, my response was...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlBr2fyqn9g [/youtube]

Who wants to bet we would have a better defensive team during the five games Tressel would have to sit out than we had in any of the games Sunseri was DC?

He would be down the list but I'd definitely hire him over a bottom feeder like Dooley. We get down the list pull the trigger on a coach like Petrino or Tressel.

Who wants to bet we would have a better defensive team during the five games Tressel would have to sit out than we had in any of the games Sunseri was DC?

He would be down the list but I'd definitely hire him over a bottom feeder like Dooley. We get down the list pull the trigger on a coach like Petrino or Tressel.
Pretty sure he'd hire an OC or DC that could hold down the fort for 5 games....if he even has to sit those out (he already sat out 6 games with the Colts last year, after they hired him as an assistant....he wasn't required to do that outside the NCAA confines...but he did).

My contention is that we are looking at a scratch....not a irreparable gouge. And a scratch that effectively disappears after 5 games + (him sitting out a) bowl game. If our compliance efforts are on high alert, why would we be overly concerned that Tressel would incur further trouble with the NCAA?

Hiring him is not going to envoke the appearance NCAA Boogie Man, nor will they send their version of 007 in to infiltrate the AD. :loco:

I've always liked him and granted the NCAA chain is around his neck but his record is impresive by any means. It's not like he's a failure and Ohio State started tanking. I hope his name is at least in the mix.

:good!:
You know he has a show cause on him that prevents him from doing even some the most basic functions of coaching, right? UT would be absolutely moronic to hire someone like that.

Not really. Here's the price of hiring Tressel, in addition to his salary:

1. He "shall be suspended from all coaching duties for the first five games during the initial year he is employed as well as any postseason contest(s) during that year";

2. "Any employing institution shall file within 60 days of hiring the former head coach ... a report with the office of the Committees on Infractions detailing how it will monitor the former head coach so as to prevent a recurrence of the violations set forth in this report";

3. "...the institution shall file reports every six months until the end of the show-cause period"

Of course, we are on probation and having a "slow cause" coach might be too much of a burden. But, he is allowed to coach, subject to the above requirements.

5+1 games is only 9% of 5 year contract with 13 game seasons each of the five years

He might be worth it.

Attachments

• Tressell Show Cause Excerpt from The Ohio State University Public Infractions Report.pdf
    57.3 KB · Views: 0
Due to UT being on probation they will not touch Tressel and would be really stupid to try

"Guys we have our new HC". "Now, he can't be here for fall camp, or the 1st 5 games, or the month of bowl practice, or the bowl game, but we got him". :eek:lol:

Give me a break.

Before reading my post, try and take a few moments to read this article:
Jim Tressel could get hired after*flimsy NCAA show-cause penalty - Andy Staples - SI.com

I still say that Tressel might be the right guy and an absolute STEAL. I like Charlie Strong too and I think he could recruit with the best of 'em in the SEC, but with Tressel, his (and OSU's) loss...in regards to the NCAA trouble he got into...could be our gain.

Had he not gotten into that trouble, he'd still be coaching OSU right now...still a thorn in the side of Michigan and Penn State every year, and still one of the most successful College coaches today. I mean, record and recruiting wise, he's in the same conversation as Saban, Meyer and Stoops.

We'd only have to have him sit for 5 games, in order to get him. A 5 year NCAA Show Cause is NOT a coaching ban. It is simply a way to prevent a coach from dodging penalties he'd have to pay if he stayed put.

First of all...I think it's the rest of the Big 10 fanbase making much to do about absolutely NOTHING. Just like Bruce Pearl having a recruit over for a barbeque. Big freakin whoop. It was simply a matter of him trying to cover it up...why? Because they didn't want the NCAA trying to overblow the whole thing. I'm not condoning either coaches handling. But I do think the NCAA has a way of trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. I'm sure he felt his players didn't deserve to get raked across the coals for something little like that.

Of course opposing fanbases are going to raise a big fuss. They want some relief from being terrorized by the guy every year. The NCAA is punishing him and OSU for him not putting the Hammer down on some of his players selling some of their stuff.

How in the hell is that even something to be penalized over? And no wonder he wanted to keep the NCAA out of their business. It's none of their damned business in the first place.I don't give a rat's behind if Terrell Pryor sells his jersey or not. So, IMHO, it's not something I think an AD should be concerned about. The guy paid/is paying their stupid freaking penalty, and I'm sure he'd not be inclined to do anything like it again.

But if Gruden is out of the question, Tressel would be a steal. He'd take considerably less than what he was making at OSU (especially if the AD can't get the NCAA to reduce the penalty down from 5 games...maybe 5 non-conference games instead of the first 5 of the season?), and that could help a great deal in getting the absolute best staff possible, while making Dooley's buyout easier to swallow.

Agreed. He may very well be a steal...

Due to UT being on probation they will not touch Tressel and would be really stupid to try
That looks bad on the surface, but with Tressel knowing what the sting of the NCAA's paddle feels like and our already heightened state of alert, concerning compliance, I don't see it being any more of a risk than any other coach. In fact, they may not take it as seriously as Tressel would.

Again, he should have never been penalized to start with. His players traded a jersey for a tattoo. The ruling even made clear that there was no booster involvement. It's 100% BS that they went so far as to even investigate it, if you ask me. Bama had players selling textbooks for classes that they didn't even have. What does that tell you? Did the NCAA make a big ordeal over that? No. Cause none of us made a big stink about it...the way Michigan fans did over this Jersey BS.

Reactions: 1 person
I live in Ohio, I can't stomach Ohio fans they are the rudest most obnoxious people. I can't wear any TN gear without a comment or a jab from their fans. If we get Tressel I will puke in my mouth.

I live in Ohio, I can't stomach Ohio fans they are the rudest most obnoxious people. I can't wear any TN gear without a comment or a jab from their fans. If we get Tressel I will puke in my mouth.

Unfortunately, all our fan bases have obnoxious fans. I have known Ohio State fans who are extremely classy. It's funny how our perceptions of fans can mold our opinions about the coaches.

Unfortunately, all our fan bases have obnoxious fans. I have known Ohio State fans who are extremely classy. It's funny how our perceptions of fans can mold our opinions about the coaches.

Our perception is driven by our encounters with them, and if you see the bad ones they make up for the ones that are good. I have had comments like " Oh you have teeth and is your husband your brother?

Our perception is driven by our encounters with them, and if you see the bad ones they make up for the ones that are good. I have had comments like " Oh you have teeth and is your husband your brother?

There probably are Alabama fans that would say the same thing. But it would not mean that Saban can't get the job done.

VN Store

Back