Jim Tressel (merged)

Once. He was hired after they lost to South Carolina and then lost to South Carolina as well lol. I think at least....

Once. He was hired after they lost to South Carolina and then lost to South Carolina as well lol. I think at least....

Right Ohio State under John Cooper lost to USC jr in the 2000 season bowl game then Ohio State lost USC jr in Tressel's first year in 2001. Kind of hard to hold that against him.

Talk about some unrealistic expectations for a coaching hire

Reactions: 1 person
could be bud....but not sure the NCAA really cares if he sat out games in the NFL......as late as a couple of days ago all the local radio shows are still saying he would have to miss the first 5 games and a bowl game....I obviously have no clue what is true and what isn't ....just sayin
Even if he did have to sit out the full 5 games and a bowl, think of $$$ that leaves for staff hires. It means we could invest the extra resources in hiring successful coordinators and position coaches away from successful programs. For example, knowing we are going to have to face Oregon next year, and having beaten both them along with a very prolific Pro-Style offense in USC, Tressel would have the $$$ to hire away Stanford's DC.

Pretty sure part of that staff hiring process is having a competent Assistant head coach. Probably would help lure a top notch coordinator, knowing they would have 5-6 games as interim HC under their belt, for enhancing their resumes.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter. You're implying that losing to the best the SEC has to offer = inferior coaching. Bob Stoops would fare no better, but I don't see anyone objecting to the prospect of his being hired. Jimbo Fisher lost to UF this year. I don't see anyone claiming that he couldn't compete in the SEC if he coached here.

Your right about Stoops no one knows for sure how they would do but at least Fisher knows what life in the SEC is like.

It's just ignorance talking. None of these other conferences face the level of competition that exists in the SEC, and thus usually fall short against the SEC Champion. Big whoop. Again, he is 1-2 against the SEC in recent BCS bowl appearances. Why does he get NO credit for even getting there?

Ignorance is claiming a fictional scenario as fact. neither of us know for certain how he would do. As far as why he doesnt get credit, he was a big fish in a very little pond.

He was 9-1 against their chief rival, Michigan. That is amazing, if you ask me. Having a coach who can dominate a chief rival is a good thing. It's also why the NCAA ever got involved in the first place. Those Meeshi-gin whiners wailed and cried like a spoiled brat. The NCAA gave them their pacifier, as it were. Now, they have to face Urban Meyer. They should watch what they wish for. :)

I agree dominating a rival is a good thing I just dont think he could do the same against AL and FL.

There is also the recruiting aspect he brings. Keep in mind there are 37 current NFL players from Ohio St, more than Alabama (30) or Florida (31), and only 2 less than LSU (39). The Vols have 28, and most (all?) of them were Fulmer's recruits. Somehting to think about.

Tressel has coached 8 BCS bowl games and is 5-3 overall, and 1-2 vs SEC opponents. Both SEC losses were the NC game. He coached 3 NC games, though the 2003 championship he won was before there was a separate NC game. Anybody who thinks that is a bad record is nuts. How many coaches have been in ANY BCS games, let alone 8? Just saying. omething to think about.

Reactions: 2 people
For the heck-of-it if Gruden falls thru and the choices were Strong, Petrino, Golden, Fedora and Tressel, who would be the best choice of getting UT back to where it once was?

You forgot to say.... "Liar, Liar, Pants on fire!" :cray:

I'm sorry. Weep no more.:p

LiarLiar-thumb-590x392-76814.jpg

For the heck-of-it if Gruden falls thru and the choices were Strong, Petrino, Golden, Fedora and Tressel, who would be the best choice of getting UT back to where it once was?

IMO, I would offer the same 2.5 million dollars to Fedora and Petrino and take the 1st guy to accept.

IMO, I would offer the same 2.5 million dollars to Fedora and Petrino and take the 1st guy to accept.
Dude, what part don't you get? A head coach's job is not only on the field but to hold the players accountable for their OFF THE FIELD behavior. Got it? With that being the case, how do you propose a coach fresh off an OFF THE FIELD scandal of his own (Petrino), and lying to his superiors, is going to be able to accomplish that?

I'll hang up and listen.

Dude, what part don't you get? A head coach's job is not only on the field but to hold the players accountable for their OFF THE FIELD behavior. Got it? With that being the case, how do you propose a coach fresh off an OFF THE FIELD scandal of his own (Petrino), and lying to his superiors, is going to be able to accomplish that?

I'll hang up and listen.

People make mistakes. We are looking for a coach who can win. I know all about the off the field stuff. I think it's worth the risk and you don't. I don't have to "get" anything. All the guy can do is own up to his screw up and move on. He is trying to do just that. Someone will hire him. Whoever does will get a winner.

People make mistakes. We are looking for a coach who can win. I know all about the off the field stuff. I think it's worth the risk and you don't. I don't have to "get" anything. All the guy can do is own up to his screw up and move on. He is trying to do just that. Someone will hire him. Whoever does will get a winner.
So, when he tells a player like Cameron Clear to beat it, cause he "made a mistake"....does Clear get a re-do? How about looking a player like Da'Rick Rodgers or Janzen Jackson in the eyes and telling they better get their shiite straight, then all the player has to say is..."Oh, you mean get it straight like you did, huh, coach?"

Makes perfect sense :loco:...if you live in the Twilight Zone.

THEY FIRED PETRINO BECAUSE HE DISQUALIFIED HIMSELF FROM BEING ABLE TO HOLD KIDS ACCOUNTABLE....period

Last edited:
So, when he tells a player like Cameron Clear to beat it, cause he "made a mistake"....does Clear get a re-do? How about looking a player like Da'Rick Rodgers or Janzen Jackson in the eyes and telling they better get their shiite straight, then all the player has to say is..."Oh, you mean get it straight like you did, huh, coach?"

Makes perfect sense :loco:...if you live in the Twilight Zone.

THEY FIRED PETRINO BECAUSE HE DISQUALIFIED HIMSELF FROM BEING ABLE TO HOLD KIDS ACCOUNTABLE....period

Maybe you missed the part where Da'Rick and JJ had MULTIPLE failed drug tests before they were sent packing. Obviously they did not learn their lesson. Sometimes it takes a man to have been through it to know what he is speaking about. I think BP has learned his lesson. You act as though he was convicted of 8 counts of homicide. All a guy can do is learn from his mistakes.

Maybe you missed the part where Da'Rick and JJ had MULTIPLE failed drug tests before they were sent packing. Obviously they did not learn their lesson. Sometimes it takes a man to have been through it to know what he is speaking about. I think BP has learned his lesson. You act as though he was convicted of 8 counts of homicide. All a guy can do is learn from his mistakes.
Sure he can, but that doesn't mean he gets a redo on the same stage. The average person out here even gets so much as a simple drug possession or a DUI and they are toast when it comes to finding work. Society really will kick you in the nuts and laugh about it. That's how it is.

Petrino smoked his chance at the big stage, and no matter how much chatter there may be, I don't see Auburn or anyone in the SEC letting him near their program. A HC at this level absolutely, positively must be above the fray. You cannot go out there and get a DUI, beat your wife, get into a drunken brawl, cheat on your wife and try to hire your mistress in the process, etc. Following me, here? A program at this level can't have one standard for coaches and a higher one for young college kids.

It ain't about being a preacher or not. It's about representing your program, University, and State with professionalism and integrity, on and off the field.

Like I said about Tressel, he didn't LIE to the NCAA, regardless of what they say/think. They are claiming that an attorney friend let him know that some players might be committing an infraction. He didn't believe it to be one and let it ride. Just because the NCAA comes in a year later and says "yes, it was," doesn't mean he was LYING to anyone. How can you "Cover Up" or lie about an infraction that you don't believe actually is one?

So, in Tressel's case, if we were talking about covering up something like paying $$$ to players or them talking to an agent, etc....I'd be saying the same thing about him as I am regarding Petrino. But they are apples and oranges.

I see Tressel as being the victim of a silly Michigan instigated Witch Hunt. The NCAA got duped into prosecuting a ham sammich.

Last edited:
I'm totally behind Tressel. All the man's done is win, AND he has a Heisman winner (Troy Smith) to show as well. Grubage can't claim that. Tressel's GOING to get another chance somewhere, and he's going to make some AD look like a genius. I want it to be Tennessee.

#hirethesweatervest
#teamtressel

Guys. There is no such thing as a show clause. Tressell has never been given a show clause. IT'S A SHOW CAUSE!!!!

As in show cause to hire this cheater.

Im with VOLorNUTTIN....Tressel would be the BEST coach next to Gruden to get us relevant quick. Id be a happy camper if we landed him. Tired of losing BAD!!

There is also the recruiting aspect he brings. Keep in mind there are 37 current NFL players from Ohio St, more than Alabama (30) or Florida (31), and only 2 less than LSU (39). The Vols have 28, and most (all?) of them were Fulmer's recruits. Somehting to think about.

Tressel has coached 8 BCS bowl games and is 5-3 overall, and 1-2 vs SEC opponents. Both SEC losses were the NC game. He coached 3 NC games, though the 2003 championship he won was before there was a separate NC game. Anybody who thinks that is a bad record is nuts. How many coaches have been in ANY BCS games, let alone 8? Just saying. omething to think about.

Tressel would be great for us!! Agreed

VN Store

Back