JH can't evaluate QB talent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was so in love with Milton and now he has finally admitted HH (who we was lucky to inherit) is better.
Down the road, will future QB recruits prove to be fools gold for him as well?
I am hoping her learns to rewire how he evaluated QB's and really go after the best talent for his system.
Or is it perhaps that JM just didn't have enough time to develop in the system?
Either way, it is concerning that JH chose him to start the season when he clearly wasn't as ready as Hendon.

GO VOLS!

Literally everyone who had access to fall practice agreed that Milton looked the best out of anyone, and it wasn't particularly close.

The only thing he had to base his assessment from was Spring practice and Summer workouts/practice. Milton could have been great within this setting while HH & HB may not have shown as much potential. Fastforward to game time experience and adversity, HH has shown to be the leader of this team currently. Stop making accusations.

I think it is obvious JH was sold on Milton's arm strength and ability to throw the long ball. After numerous overthrows, Milton's injury, and HH's improvement from game to game the staff wisely chose to keep Hendon as starter. Sometimes coaches guess wrong.

I could be wrong…..who knows really…..but Hooker was shaky at the start. Fumbles and an interception, along with some over throws of his own………….I think Milton was their “best” option from the start. For some reason he simply doesn’t have it in the game.

Although Hooker started a bit shaky…..unlike Milton, Hooker shook it off and improved.

From everything we have seen and heard Milton was ahead of everyone in practice. This was Heupels first year…….so the QB was going to earn it in practice……….no matter what we all think of Milton now………he really had to start Milton.

He didn’t have a better option, and by “all” accounts Milton looked good. I’m just glad Hooker has grown and Heupel wasn’t afraid to make a change.

But it wasn't measurables that got him the starting job. He outplayed the others in August.

Yeah, that's the popular take. But, when you have freakish size, and a freakish arm, maybe sometimes coach see what he wants to see. Just my assumption. And again, I get it. I'm not really being critical here.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Choice seems obvious now, but in fairness, for coaches it's not always that simple based upon practices...at one point in his frosh year, the GOAT was behind Jerry C, Todd Helton, Brandon Stewart...and only started b/c of 2 year ending injuries. More recently, Dobbs wasn't the glaring alternative to Worley, Petterman, etc. Sometimes have to just figure out who can do it on Saturdays. I don't care how we got to a legit SEC QB, but we finally did.

He was so in love with Milton and now he has finally admitted HH (who we was lucky to inherit) is better.
I am hoping her learns to rewire how he evaluated QB's and really go after the best talent for his system.
Either way, it is concerning that JH chose him to start the season when he clearly wasn't as ready as Hendon.

GO VOLS!
Actually, going with Hooker would imply the opposite IMO. He’s not to damn stubborn to make the change if needed, unlike previous coaches/staffs

Yeah, that's the popular take. But, when you have freakish size, and a freakish arm, maybe sometimes coach see what he wants to see. Just my assumption. And again, I get it. I'm not really being critical here.
I didn't take your comments badly.

According to guys who were allowed to see full practices and scrimmages, Milton was managing the O and hitting a high % of his throws including down field.

Someone made a good point earlier by bringing up the green jersey effect. Not every kid that's good at punt, pass, and kick can play when they're getting hit.

Reactions: JoAllan

GO VOLS!
So which are you? Gator? Dawg? 'Dore? Tell us.

Reactions: JoAllan
You need to get more sleep and stay off of message boards. Unbelievably pathetic.

GO VOLS!
Milton has a rocket arm and can make plays with his feet, making him ideal for CJH system. There was no way to know* for sure how he would be in games until he played in a game. Game time success made this an easy decision.

*obviously there was evidence at UM

I know I'll get bashed for this, but I sometimes listen to Ainge. He attended practices during fall camp and his take was that Milton separated himself as front runner. Yep Ainge.. take with a grain of salt, but I don't think he's wrong. Hooker looks like he's settled in. CJH figured it out. I wouldn't worry about it at this stage. CJH was like the constipated mathematician. He worked it out with a pencil!
The dismissal of Ainge's ability to breakdown football is extremely dumb by fans on here. Just because he said JG looked good in practice?

Ainge easily knows more about football than every single person on this board by quite a bit.

If Milton is dominating in practice then wtf are you suppose to do?

"Well he looks NFL in practice, but he struggled with a torn ligament in his throwing thumb at Michigan so we better not believe in him at all"

Milton played in one game and a quarter and Heupel hasn't gone back to him. There is nothing Pruitt about Heup at all.

People have so much Pruitt+JG PTSD and they need to stop now.

That was an anomaly and we are FAR from that right now.

GO VOLS!
How old are you? You realize kids don’t work out every single year at every single program right? Every major program is going to have its fair share of busts.

Reactions: feathersax
How old are you? You realize kids don’t work out every single year at every single program right? Every major program is going to have its fair share of busts.
I wouldn't even label Milton as a bust at this point. Just needs to shoot his bullet with a lower muzzle velocity on those distant targets. If HH gets hurt, Milton just might carry the load in a positive manner.

Relax. Many NFL coaches have the same trouble settling in on the right QB. It ain't always clear-cut right from the start of camp. My concern is Hooker's health. There's a good chance we will see Milton again - don't write him off. We may need him to play well at some point. I hope he's able to play to his potential.

I wouldn't even label Milton as a bust at this point. Just needs to shoot his bullet with a lower muzzle velocity on those distant targets. If HH gets hurt, Milton just might carry the load in a positive manner.
Milton supposedly looks good in practice. I would imagine Harbaugh saw the same potential Heupel did. Sometimes you can’t fix potential though.

Reactions: ptcarter
Someone made a good point earlier by bringing up the green jersey effect. Not every kid that's good at punt, pass, and kick can play when they're getting hit.

You also have the game pressure of making the throws even without someone in your face or about to hit you. If what you want so badly is in front of you like winning games to get to NFL, then the game pressure will build and you will make mistakes you don't make otherwise for example in practice. This is JG and I really suspect Milton at this point.

The only thing he had to base his assessment from was Spring practice and Summer workouts/practice. Milton could have been great within this setting while HH & HB may not have shown as much potential. Fastforward to game time experience and adversity, HH has shown to be the leader of this team currently. Stop making accusations.
Admire your thoughts GBO

Reactions: PawPawVol69
Ridiculous post… the fact that he is sticking with HH shows that he wasn’t stubborn or in love with Milton as many have assumed… in summer camp and fall practice you only can evaluate QBs in settings where they can’t get hit and there is no Gametime pressure… by all accounts Milton was hitting all the throws in practice… Milton ran the offense very efficiently in games and went to the right places with the ball just didn’t have the touch in the game… I think Milton is a guy that does not like to get hit I see it in the way he finishes runs… in practice Qbs have a red jersey and can’t get hit so that’s one less thing he has to worry about likely making his accuracy better in practice and with his arm there is literally no throw he can’t make… in the game he can get hit and the bright lights create more anxiety and it seems he just isn’t able to quite overcome that… but to say JH doesn’t know Qb talent is foolish and he has the history to prove it… Milton earned the job in practice and lost it to HH by the way the 2 performed in game he didn’t stay with Milton too long and didn’t try to force him back to be the starter… just relax we finally got a coach that truly understands what it takes to be a successful head coach and how to manage a program…
This 💯!

Reactions: feathersax
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back