JH can't evaluate QB talent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volunteer16

He was so in love with Milton and now he has finally admitted HH (who we was lucky to inherit) is better.
Down the road, will future QB recruits prove to be fools gold for him as well?
I am hoping he learns to rewire how he evaluated QB's and really go after the best talent for his system.
Or is it perhaps that JM just didn't have enough time to develop in the system?
Either way, it is concerning that JH chose him to start the season when he clearly wasn't as ready as Hendon.

GO VOLS!

Last edited:
He was so in love with Milton and now he has finally admitted HH (who we was lucky to inherit) is better.
I am hoping her learns to rewire how he evaluated QB's and really go after the best talent for his system.
Either way, it is concerning that JH chose him to start the season when he clearly wasn't as ready as Hendon.

GO VOLS!

1st post and this is what you bring?

I am hoping her learns to rewire how he evaluated QB's and really go after the best talent for his system.

GO VOLS!
I know I'll get bashed for this, but I sometimes listen to Ainge. He attended practices during fall camp and his take was that Milton separated himself as front runner. Yep Ainge.. take with a grain of salt, but I don't think he's wrong. Hooker looks like he's settled in. CJH figured it out. I wouldn't worry about it at this stage. CJH was like the constipated mathematician. He worked it out with a pencil!

Ridiculous post… the fact that he is sticking with HH shows that he wasn’t stubborn or in love with Milton as many have assumed… in summer camp and fall practice you only can evaluate QBs in settings where they can’t get hit and there is no Gametime pressure… by all accounts Milton was hitting all the throws in practice… Milton ran the offense very efficiently in games and went to the right places with the ball just didn’t have the touch in the game… I think Milton is a guy that does not like to get hit I see it in the way he finishes runs… in practice Qbs have a red jersey and can’t get hit so that’s one less thing he has to worry about likely making his accuracy better in practice and with his arm there is literally no throw he can’t make… in the game he can get hit and the bright lights create more anxiety and it seems he just isn’t able to quite overcome that… but to say JH doesn’t know Qb talent is foolish and he has the history to prove it… Milton earned the job in practice and lost it to HH by the way the 2 performed in game he didn’t stay with Milton too long and didn’t try to force him back to be the starter… just relax we finally got a coach that truly understands what it takes to be a successful head coach and how to manage a program…

GO VOLS!

I'll be kind since this is your first post. I can't speak to what Heupel saw from Milton in practice. He's a big guy with a rocket arm well suited to make the perimeter throws in Heupel's offense. However, Milton lacks the ability to make the deep throws and has turned out to be a little disappointing in his ability to run. I will choose to trust Heupel's ability to manage the QB depth chart. Hooker has clearly established himself as QB1 and he's improving every game due to Heupel's coaching. GBO!

I know I'll get bashed for this, but I sometimes listen to Ainge. He attended practices during fall camp and his take was that Milton separated himself as front runner. Yep Ainge.. take with a grain of salt, but I don't think he's wrong. Hooker looks like he's settled in. CJH figured it out. I wouldn't worry about it at this stage. CJH was like the constipated mathematician. He worked it out with a pencil!
As we know from the past experiences, we have lots of All-Americans in practice but when the game starts, it's totally different.

Maybe this is the natural fallout from Pruitt's regime.

He so lowered the bar that everyone feels they know football better than the entire coaching staff (who watched and charted every single pass thrown in practice since training camp opened, and who work with them in the film room, and who quiz them daily in position meetings, and...).

But--hey! Pick up your phone and fire away from that armchair. Welcome to VolNation, Volunteer16.

GO VOLS!
stressed-work.gif

for one, you have no idea how ready Hooker was at the start of the season……because he didn’t start.

When Hooker did come in for the first time…..he didn’t look great…….it was shaky at best.

Hooker however, was able to gather himself over a game or two and grow……where as Milton did not.

Heupel must know at least something about QB’s…….he got at least one of them going and he made the switch……early…..and I assure you he knows more than YOU do (or me either on the situation).

What an ignorant first post.

As we know from the past experiences, we have lots of All-Americans in practice but when the game starts, it's totally different.
We are also seeing this year players are performing above their star level in games. Another point in the, "We haven't seen that in a long time", column.

GO VOLS!

I think it is obvious JH was sold on Milton's arm strength and ability to throw the long ball. After numerous overthrows, Milton's injury, and HH's improvement from game to game the staff wisely chose to keep Hendon as starter. Sometimes coaches guess wrong.

GO VOLS!
Dumb post is dumb. Clearly someone who never played the game. MIlton won the starting job based on upside and what he showed in practice. Until actual games are played that's all a coach can go by. Oh yeah, and Heupel won a Heisman as a QB and also coached Heisman winner Sam Bradford as well as a number of other highly rated quarterbacks. But I'm sure you know more about evaluating QBs than he does. LMFAO

GO VOLS!
UM HH wasn't good either to start the season either... He was turning the ball over too much. He has done better the past couple of games and that does reflect coaching so I would trust the coach and not armchair qbs.

Reactions: StoneColdStunner
What's your other acct 🙄
In camp and practice Milton was said to be the QB1. Others who got to see camp/practice said the same thing.
After Hooker came in and performed. CJH stuck with Hooker. He didn't do like Pruitt and continued to stick with a QB that couldn't take what they did in practice to the field on Game Day.

GO VOLS![/QUOTE
The only thing he had to base his assessment from was Spring practice and Summer workouts/practice. Milton could have been great within this setting while HH & HB may not have shown as much potential. Fastforward to game time experience and adversity, HH has shown to be the leader of this team currently. Stop making accusations.

Milton looked like Tarzan, played like Jane.

Many a coach has fallen for this "measurables" thing. Totally understandable. But, JH has course corrected pretty quickly, although you can't convince me otherwise that he did cost us the Pitt game by being fooled by Milton.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Milton earned it in practice. That was what the coaches discerned... but it was also what those allowed to see practice said. In fact, they not only said Milton won the job but that he won it by a wide margin. He was hitting the throws he's missed in games.

Heupel from the start said he had confidence in all three.

It takes a LOT of coaching courage to make a decision to move on from a guy who has performed in practice. Neither Jones or Pruitt showed that courage or intelligence.

So he took a risk on a freakish physical talent that seemed to be working out in August practice... and that means he doesn't know what a QB looks like?

I seldom make ironclad predictions but will make one here:

NO. Not every QB he recruits will be great or become a starter.... just like any other coach.

Do you understand why he wanted 5 guys in his QB room? At one point he very well could have had Maurer (who still shouldn't have left), Salter, Bailey, Milton, and Hooker. Because unlike the last two incompetents he understands that competition brings out the best in any guy you want as your QB AND that evaluations no matter how good or careful you are... are never 100%.

Apparently he developed. They invested extra time and he looked like a world beater in practice.

GO VOLS!
It should be concerning to you that you don't get it better than you do. Milton won the job in August. It was live competition that exposed him. By almost every insider account... Hooker had a relatively poor August camp. But he has stepped up when the opportunity came. This isn't a perfect science. Coaches have to evaluate guys as best they can whether as recruits or in practice then make decisions. It is to CJH's GREAT CREDIT that he was willing to change course when it became necessary. UT's last two coaches were fired in large measure because they wouldn't change QB's or much of anything else. Their egos got in the way too much.

GO VOLS!
I tell you, we really need a dislike button!!

Milton looked like Tarzan, played like Jane.

Many a coach has fallen for this "measurables" thing. Totally understandable. But, JH has course corrected pretty quickly, although you can't convince me otherwise that he did cost us the Pitt game by being fooled by Milton.
But it wasn't measurables that got him the starting job. He outplayed the others in August.

Reactions: Carp
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back