JG starting for Houston Roughnecks Today

Dobbs teams did not over perform. 2016 had playoff talent that was squandered by optional workouts, awful gameday decisions, in-house fighting- it was a very dysfunctional team.
That is basically how you define overperforming lol...That 2016 beat both UGA and FL to break 2 very long sad streaks also one of the most iconic games of Vols history and yes it was the most talented team that Dobbs played on... I'll give you a quick quiz... name the starting Oline from that year...how many people on the roster that year went to an NFL camp? Any given year that Clausen played his teams put more guys in the league on either side of the ball than the 2016 team did in TOTAL. Most of the guys from the 2016 team that made the NFL were defensive and NONE were linemen. I am not talking just about guys that played I mean on the whole roster. Multiple walk-ons or former walk-ons started or played major snaps for that team. Not out of talent out of necessity. No one in their right mind expected that team to win more than 8 games that year. No one expected them to beat UGA and FL. Yes losing to USCe and Vandy late sucked.. (3 of those 4 losses were on the road and the home game was to Bama who went on to win the natty) Clausen beat an unranked Bama and Auburn team and lost to Clemson in the bowl game wit ha cast of future NFLers on both sides of the ball and a real coach..... I would go so far as to say the Clasuens were the beginning of the end of CPF.

That is basically how you define overperforming lol...That 2016 beat both UGA and FL to break 2 very long sad streaks also one of the most iconic games of Vols history and yes it was the most talented team that Dobbs played on... I'll give you a quick quiz... name the starting Oline from that year...how many people on the roster that year went to an NFL camp? Any given year that Clausen played his teams put more guys in the league on either side of the ball than the 2016 team did in TOTAL. Most of the guys from the 2016 team that made the NFL were defensive and NONE were linemen. I am not talking just about guys that played I mean on the whole roster. Multiple walk-ons or former walk-ons started or played major snaps for that team. Not out of talent out of necessity. No one in their right mind expected that team to win more than 8 games that year. No one expected them to beat UGA and FL. Yes losing to USCe and Vandy late sucked.. (3 of those 4 losses were on the road and the home game was to Bama who went on to win the natty) Clausen beat an unranked Bama and Auburn team and lost to Clemson in the bowl game wit ha cast of future NFLers on both sides of the ball and a real coach..... I would go so far as to say the Clasuens were the beginning of the end of CPF.
No, it is not. We are talking about talent and that team had playoff level talent. They should not have lost to Texas A&M, USC or Vandy.

And as for name the starting OL. Is that a trick question? Our entire OL (& team) was plagued by injuries that year thanks to Butch Jones 'workouts are optional' mentality.

I bet we started 8-10 different guys that year.

I respect you for defending your opinion with zeal. It can't be debated who performed best in big game, pressurized moments

Also just so we're clear the '16 Vols were preseason top 10.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Hard to fault Clausen because he possibly had more talent around him
I'm not sure the 2003 team (Casey's senior season) placed anymore players on NFL opening day rosters than the 2016 team. I haven't checked the numbers, but being drafted and making rosters aren't the same. I do know for a fact the 2016 team has had more contributing WRs in the NFL than the 2003 team. The 2002 team was extremely weak for UT at WR too, during Casey's junior season

Last edited:
Reactions: JRich
Hard to fault Clausen because he possibly had more talent around him
Not faulting him....What Clausen did is impressive he was great QB. My point is what Dobbs did was equal to what he did and more. He got similar results with less and against greater competition. Clausen played Bama PRE- SABAN. Saban was at LSU during Clausen's tenure (in fact their times almost mirror). The big teams to beat back then were UGA, LSU and Florida not Bama. We played them Clausen's first 2 years and went 1-1 each team winning at home. The following Year LSU won a natty. Saban went on to the dolphins and then showed up at Bama in 2007 when Clausen was by that time out of the NFL coaching high school. Bama only had winning conference record 1 of Clausens 4 years and that year they beat us... in the early 2000's UT dominated Bama. Guess what teams we didn't dominate? UGA FL and LSU the teams that were dominating the SEC at that time.

Here is a list of SEC champions from 1990-2016 with Clausen and DObb's careers highlighted. I get some folks are young and don't realize things change over time. Byt Bama was a really bad team during that period. In clausens time as UT QB against the 3 teams that mattered... he split against LSU and Florida and lost to Georgia. Bama at the time was pretty much on the same level as recent South Carolina teams. The SEC back then was not the unquestioned top conference. We had 4 good teams each year and the test were meh...USCe, both Mississippi schools, Vandy and Kentucky were all bad teams. Arkansas and Bama alternated between being half decent and bad Auburn and UT were the second tier teams. Florida, Georgia and LSU ruled the roost. Those are facts for that period of time.

1715818299450.png

Last edited:
The man can't be both QB and OL. Good grief, some of you people. He barely had the ball in his hands before the defense squirt right through the line and downed him.
I understand it but certain qbs just have 0 feel for the game and that’s JG… all the heart n toughness and no feel for the game the lights always have been and always will be too bright for him… can’t think of another Qb with more kill shots than JG at some point you have to learn to feel pressure and move and protect yourself… I hate the OL blaming always because the DL gets paid too they are going to win some plays good QBs can make it hard to sack them even if the OL gets beat JG is a sitting duck that gets teed off on religiously…

He's supposed to look up before the snap. That was his first mistake.

Second mistake was not recognizing the blitz.

Third mistake was not calling an audible.

Fourth mistake was on the C or RG but ultimately I think that falls on the QB for not making an adjustment.

JG violated a few QB rules on that play. No doubt that OL hates him.
RB must have been 20 yds deep, he arrived just in time to pick JG up and dust him off. Might have been a good idea to adjust the blocking when the LB showed blitz.

I understand it but certain qbs just have 0 feel for the game and that’s JG… all the heart n toughness and no feel for the game the lights always have been and always will be too bright for him… can’t think of another Qb with more kill shots than JG at some point you have to learn to feel pressure and move and protect yourself… I hate the OL blaming always because the DL gets paid too they are going to win some plays good QBs can make it hard to sack them even if the OL gets beat JG is a sitting duck that gets teed off on religiously…
I stand in our players' corner, unless they put the UT in a bad light with criminal behavior or something as detestable. Far as I'm concerned, that is that. In practice, they sweat, and went through. Best as they could, they gave their all to Tennessee. And that's why I will stand in their corner and not badmouth them. s for JG, newsflash! He isn't here anymore, so no reason to continue stomping him, and dragging him through the sewer spill. Too many of his critics come across as people who love to hate. They just can't Elsa his shortcomings or whatever they lambaste him about.

2015 team > 2016 team, in my opinion. Don't forget the 2016 opener against Appalachian State which was in Neyland.

I stand in our players' corner, unless they put the UT in a bad light with criminal behavior or something as detestable. Far as I'm concerned, that is that. In practice, they sweat, and went through. Best as they could, they gave their all to Tennessee. And that's why I will stand in their corner and not badmouth them. s for JG, newsflash! He isn't here anymore, so no reason to continue stomping him, and dragging him through the sewer spill. Too many of his critics come across as people who love to hate. They just can't Elsa his shortcomings or whatever they lambaste him about.
Amen

VN Store

Back