JG starting for Houston Roughnecks Today

The defender made contact .8 seconds after the ball was snapped. What is JG supposed to do here?
He's supposed to look up before the snap. That was his first mistake.

Second mistake was not recognizing the blitz.

Third mistake was not calling an audible.

Fourth mistake was on the C or RG but ultimately I think that falls on the QB for not making an adjustment.

JG violated a few QB rules on that play. No doubt that OL hates him.

Reactions: mpfvol
Butch Jones ruined JG just before we opened against Georgia Tech in 2017. JG had been told he was the starting QB. Right before kick off Botch told him that Dormady was getting the start. JG sat on the sideline and pouted the entire game. I remember Herbstreit talking about what a bad look for the team it was. That jack @$$ move ripped the locker room apart. 4-8 and another fired coach. At least Botch jones is in the rear view mirror.

Butch Jones ruined JG just before we opened against Georgia Tech in 2017. JG had been told he was the starting QB. Right before kick off Botch told him that Dormady was getting the start. JG sat on the sideline and pouted the entire game. I remember Herbstreit talking about what a bad look for the team it was. That jack @$$ move ripped the locker room apart. 4-8 and another fired coach. At least Botch jones is in the rear view mirror.
I still remember the cameras finding him after Dormady hit Callaway in stride for a TD. He was walking with his head down like nothing happened. JG's dejection on the sideline was everyone first experience with him as a QB. He was doomed from the start.

Looks like same problem at UT...no OL either. 19/29 for 65% passing w/ 3 sacks. Not saying he is/was great QB but seems he's permanently surrounded w/ inferior players.
Or... he makes the players around him look worse. Dobbs and Hooker were two guys that I think made the guys around them look better than they were. JG... maybe the opposite?

And no "hate". I actually respect him for continuing to try and sympathize with him for failing. I just don't think he has what it takes between the ears to play QB at a high level.

Looks like same problem at UT...no OL either. 19/29 for 65% passing w/ 3 sacks. Not saying he is/was great QB but seems he's permanently surrounded w/ inferior players.
Or... he makes the players around him look worse. Dobbs and Hooker were two guys that I think made the guys around them look better than they were. JG... maybe the opposite?

And no "hate". I actually respect him for continuing to try and sympathize with him for failing. I just don't think he has what it takes between the ears to play QB at a high level.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
Watched him a couple of times this year. He's still Samuel Morse 2.0
the Master of Allusion. BernardKingGOAT, ladies and gentlemen, BernardKingGOAT.
giphy.gif

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
He's not easily a top 3 QB of all time.
umm yes he is. what other 3 QB's you put above Dobbs? Peyton Maybe Shuler and who else? If you add in pro success its unquestionable he is top 2. If Hooker does well in pros he gets the nod as number 2. But given what he had to work with as far as coach and team Dobbs was amazing. He played during the Legendary walkon era. How many legendary walkons did we have during that period of time? During that period of time we started a number of walkons at various positions started Olinemen without acl's. Brought in a kicker off a frat couch. It was insane.

in the UFL the only former Vol I know of that's doing well is Javonta Payton he's tied for second in the league for receiving TD's with 4...that being said the league itself is a fairly terrible version of football. I'd rather watch the CFL or local high school tbh.

umm yes he is. what other 3 QB's you put above Dobbs? Peyton Maybe Shuler and who else? If you add in pro success its unquestionable he is top 2. If Hooker does well in pros he gets the nod as number 2. But given what he had to work with as far as coach and team Dobbs was amazing. He played during the Legendary walkon era. How many legendary walkons did we have during that period of time? During that period of time we started a number of walkons at various positions started Olinemen without acl's. Brought in a kicker off a frat couch. It was insane.
Casey Clausen and Bobby Scott. Pro success? Pat Ryan's got him there. I think Dobbs is top 5 or 6. Maybe. Condredge Holloway says "hello" too

Reactions: WillisWG and pimo1
Casey Clausen and Bobby Scott. Pro success? Pat Ryan's got him there. I think Dobbs is top 5 or 6. Maybe. Condredge Holloway says "hello" too
Pro success Peyton then Dobbs and Ryan.. Ryan played 13 years in the NFL (NY jets) and started 19 games 31TD 31 ints 4300 yards. Its really kinda hard to compare the 2 until Dobbs is done, but he's on pace to do much better. The Holloway argument does seem intriguing but those guys are all from way different eras and outside of Holloway its hard to even compare their stats. I will say this in my lifetime Dobbs and Hooker are in the conversation for number 2 and 3 Casey Clausen has somewhat of an argument but Dobbs Has the UGA game and Hooker has that Bama game. Those are signature wins.

Pro success Peyton then Dobbs and Ryan.. Ryan played 13 years in the NFL (NY jets) and started 19 games 31TD 31 ints 4300 yards. Its really kinda hard to compare the 2 until Dobbs is done, but he's on pace to do much better. The Holloway argument does seem intriguing but those guys are all from way different eras and outside of Holloway its hard to even compare their stats. I will say this in my lifetime Dobbs and Hooker are in the conversation for number 2 and 3 Casey Clausen has somewhat of an argument but Dobbs Has the UGA game and Hooker has that Bama game. Those are signature wins.
Clausen has two wins at Florida and two at Bama. One at ND. That overshadows the two signature wins you mentioned. Dobbs has had trouble making rosters in the NFL.

Clausen has two wins at Florida and two at Bama. One at ND. That overshadows the two signature wins you mentioned. Dobbs has had trouble making rosters in the NFL.
uhhh.. by trouble do you mean he stays rostered....and has started 12 games. clausen was with the Chiefs for one year.....CFL the next and was coaching high school the next. Dobbs broke long-standing losing streaks against UGA and Florida had a game named after him. Played on vastly inferior teams with worse coaching. You're comparing him to someone who was coaching high school 3 years after leaving UT and played on a roster with multiple future pro bowlers..

Just on the offense he played with al these guys that made the NFL
Jason Witten
Travis Stephens
Troy Fleming
Ced Wilson
Donte Stallworth
Eric Parker
David Martin
Scott Wells
Ced Houston
Kelley Washington
Rashad Baker
Mark Jones
Jonathan Wade

Lets not even get into the defensive players.. Dude had 9 receivers that made NFL teams.... Dobbs had 3. Clausen had all SEC O-linemen Dobbs had walkon guys with no ACL...https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/tennessee-ol-jacob-gilliam-continues-to-play-with-torn-acl-182059650.html?

Context is important.

uhhh.. by trouble do you mean he stays rostered....and has started 12 games. clausen was with the Chiefs for one year.....CFL the next and was coaching high school the next. Dobbs broke long-standing losing streaks against UGA and Florida had a game named after him. Played on vastly inferior teams with worse coaching. You're comparing him to someone who was coaching high school 3 years after leaving UT and played on a roster with multiple future pro bowlers..

Just on the offense he played with al these guys that made the NFL
Jason Witten
Travis Stephens
Troy Fleming
Ced Wilson
Donte Stallworth
Eric Parker
David Martin
Scott Wells
Ced Houston
Kelley Washington
Rashad Baker
Mark Jones
Jonathan Wade

Lets not even get into the defensive players.. Dude had 9 receivers that made NFL teams.... Dobbs had 3. Clausen had all SEC O-linemen Dobbs had walkon guys with no ACL...https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/tennessee-ol-jacob-gilliam-continues-to-play-with-torn-acl-182059650.html?

Context is important.
Yes, context is important. It's ironic that you mentioned it. Guy claimed Dobbs was top 3 all time at UT. IMO he's not

Yes, context is important. It's ironic that you mentioned it. Guy claimed Dobbs was top 3 all time at UT. IMO he's not
IMO he is and easily so. Clausen was a good QB on talented teams. If anything those teams back then underachieved a lot based on the talent they had. Dobbs teams overperformed drastically. Clausen won with his team Dobbs often won in spite of the team. I only posted the Offensive players Clausen played with.. the defense was littered with future pro bowlers and NFL starters. Dobbs played in peak SEC...during Clausens time Vandy, UK and USCe were just wins period...During Dobbs time those were bowl teams. Dobbs stats as a QB stand up to anyone else in UT history because people don't look at the big picture. Clausen passed for 2k more yards and threw an extra 22 TD's seems fancy except Dobbs ran for 220 more yards than Clausen and 26 more td's.. so he accounted for more yards and TD's in over 200 less attempts. also Dobbs was slightly more accurate.

Not a knock on Clausen he actually played during an era where we were stacked at talent at every position including QB. Dobbs was not surrounded by the same level of coaching and talent by any means yet he put up arguably better numbers. Clausen played during a period of time where the SEC had more bottom feeder teams reach year. That is no longer true..and was not during Dobbs time teams like missou, vandy, Kentucky, USCe and even ole miss and miss state were no longer gimmes year in year out. UT has had a lot of great QB's but I do not think any dealt with the adversity that Dobbs and JG did by any measure.

Also not saying your opinion is wrong... its valid. I just see things differently? Thats whats great about Volnation.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Clausen one of the most overlooked QBs on VN. 45 games, 9,707 yards and 75 touchdowns. Clausen won 34 games as Tennessee’s starting quarterback in 44 starts. He was 14-1 in road contests.

IMO he is and easily so. Clausen was a good QB on talented teams. If anything those teams back then underachieved a lot based on the talent they had. Dobbs teams overperformed drastically. Clausen won with his team Dobbs often won in spite of the team. I only posted the Offensive players Clausen played with.. the defense was littered with future pro bowlers and NFL starters. Dobbs played in peak SEC...during Clausens time Vandy, UK and USCe were just wins period...During Dobbs time those were bowl teams. Dobbs stats as a QB stand up to anyone else in UT history because people don't look at the big picture. Clausen passed for 2k more yards and threw an extra 22 TD's seems fancy except Dobbs ran for 220 more yards than Clausen and 26 more td's.. so he accounted for more yards and TD's in over 200 less attempts. also Dobbs was slightly more accurate.

Not a knock on Clausen he actually played during an era where we were stacked at talent at every position including QB. Dobbs was not surrounded by the same level of coaching and talent by any means yet he put up arguably better numbers. Clausen played during a period of time where the SEC had more bottom feeder teams reach year. That is no longer true..and was not during Dobbs time teams like missou, vandy, Kentucky, USCe and even ole miss and miss state were no longer gimmes year in year out. UT has had a lot of great QB's but I do not think any dealt with the adversity that Dobbs and JG did by any measure.

Also not saying your opinion is wrong... its valid. I just see things differently? Thats whats great about Volnation.
Dobbs teams did not over perform. 2016 had playoff talent that was squandered by optional workouts, awful gameday decisions, in-house fighting- it was a very dysfunctional team.

VN Store

Back