JG is da man ... get behind this guy

not sure who's compiling these stats and who qualifies "catchable" balls. I've watched every game this year and he sure seems to be to be a terrible down field passer. I guess if we say that an overthrown ball is "catchable" if the receiver were in a different spot on the field... well, OK. I'll buy the hype when he actually has a good game against an SEC school.

Well technically every ball is "catchable" as long as you do not define who has to catch it or what team they play for.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
That's what happens when you know you can't trust your OL, and you only have 2-3 seconds to get rid of the ball instead of the normal 4-5. You simply don't have time to go through your progressions.
So since there is no time to go through progression, perhaps we could bring in another te as a blocker and run quick slants / screens, jet sweeps etc. In an effort to get the ball away from the oline quickly and into the hands of the playmakers?
Its good that fingers practices notes pointed out that they were working on list of screen plays and such. Those type plays are our best chance at being successful..

PROS??? Really, short of out performing Jesus Christ himself at the combine, this kid has zero shot at the pros. Bray is a far more adapted QB for the pros and cannot get in a game. JG wont even be an UDFA.
He looks better than Peterman did but yeah he needs to learn to read defense and talk to the media.

Reactions: Rockyjr
No he is not “da man”

I don’t know who is more blind on this board right now. The Pruitt all in wagon or the JG all in wagon.

Both views seem pretty silly to me, objectively.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
I want the best guy out there no matter what his name is. If someone else's star is shining brighter let's bring 'em on.
I don't really 'get behind' players, I get behind the VOLS. Too much QB drama up in hurr. :cool:

No he is not “da man”

I don’t know who is more blind on this board right now. The Pruitt all in wagon or the JG all in wagon.

Both views seem pretty silly to me, objectively.
It's silly to be a Vols fan? Why are you here? To bitch.

I'm pretty sure he comes out of the huddle, knows who he wants to throw to, and never checks down the other receivers.

So many times this season he's had receivers wide open waving their arms like they are doing jumping jacks, while he futilely waits for a receiver in double coverage to get open.
Huh, I remember coach Pruitt praising JG for making multiple reads during his coaching shows, maybe he is watching a different game than you.🤷‍♂️

Not every pass has to be a drop back pass, we can roll him out and mix in screens. There are way to do this, Helton has to get a little creative. Just little things like rolling the pocket and mixing in screens and then drop back. It doesn't just have to be run,run, and drop back. GBO!!!!!

You can't argue his accuracy with that stat. Given the time, he's pretty good at hitting his mark. We need to run more crossing and seam routes. I haven't seen one slugo this season. I'd like to see Helton challenge him more and let him throw more. But, I read where CJP said he has to do what the OL knows how to do. It sounds like we are still handicapped upfront.

You haven’t seen one sluggo because the line can’t block long enough for the route to develop.

Reactions: MiramarVol
Throwing the ball accurately has never been his problem. Reading defense and going through his progressions are where he’s lacking.
Reading a defense and going through progressions is much easier when you have a line that gives you time to do so. Guarantano is a good qb, when the line gels enough to give him some time he will prove that he is very talented.

Can our TEs block, catch passes consistently or get open often? No. How about the WRs? Nope. OL? We know thats a joke. JG is not a great QB. But the team around him is very bad.

If we have all these playmakers, then name the ones that would start on UGA, UF, UK, SC, Mizzou, OM, MSU, TAMU, Bama, LSU or AU.

Reading a defense and going through progressions is much easier when you have a line that gives you time to do so. Guarantano is a good qb, when the line gels enough to give him some time he will prove that he is very talented.
Yeah if you put good players all around him it’s gonna make him look a lot better but that’s true for everyone. He may turn out to be a good QB but right now he’s just serviceable. Great players can make plays even when everything else around them breaks down and I just do think he’s capable of doing that.

Reactions: jacvols
Now, tell me his record again as a starting QB?

Nb4 someone blames a coach, another position group, or the price of tea in China for the dismal record instead of poor Qb play

Guarantano was in a completely dysfunctional and anemic offense last year.

He is in a completely dysfunctional and anemic offense this year.

Tough to pass judgement on him with the O line issues and working under his second inexperienced and potentially overwhelmed OC.

Which begs the question of why Helton is calling nearly 2:1 running plays knowing the o line isn't a strength. A QUICK, short passing game could potentially open things up some and Guarantano has shown the accuracy to make it work. Get the ball in the playmakers hands and they might actually break a few plays. Guarantano isn't a running threat so these RPOs are about pointless.

Instead though, this offense looks more like something Fulmer was running in the 90s with some RPO sprinkled in.

Reactions: MiramarVol
Oh boy..here we go.
Kyler Murray : 21 TD 3 INT record 5-1
Will Grier : 21 TD 6 INT record 5-0
Tyler Huntley: 5 td 2 INT record 3-2

JG 4 TD 2 INT. record 2-3

Hmm.....

Not saying Guarantano doesn't have issues but 93 pass attempts versus 135, 177, and 149 pass attempts does have an effect on stats.

This offense looks more like a relic from the 90s than what Utah, OK, and WVU is running. Maybe Helton is handcuffed by talent but it seems more they are being ultra conservative trying to limit mistakes to keep games close. Not exactly working out so far.

That being said, he does lock in on his receivers and the deep ball needs some work. There doesn't seem to be an intermediate passing game in this offense so who knows. Takes too many sacks but that o line does nothing to help that. I dont see anything that suggest he was ever actually a dual threat QB.

I like JG. Tough Kid but he is a technician and not a baller. He needs to make things happen not just sit in the pocket and get smacked. In the pro's with his accuracy he will probably make a very serviceable backup.
Easy tiger...let's get him in the top half of the SEC QBs before we start talking "the pros".
He has no intangibles and decision making/awareness is sub par. He has a long ways to go before becoming anywhere near elite in the just the SEC.

VN Store

Back