JG helping out Shrout

tenor.gif
Right... because you really and truly aren't interested in the truth or any fact that might lead you to realize how wrong you are.

We were the dead last rushing team in the SEC, middle in passing. Inefficient offense? Overall yup, but it was the dead last rushing doing much of the damage, especially when playcalling was overwhelmingly run. Not sure why the above is hard to get. JG has a lot to work on, but he's not the anchor holding the offense down.
It isn't hard to get. Why is it hard for some of you to get that a QB that cannot throw passes like slants or effectively use the middle of the field makes it harder to have an effective run game?

The playcalling to a great extent was designed to prevent JG from losing games by making mistakes trying to do things he doesn't do well. If he was "great" at the things I've mentioned then UT could have used them. Just the ability to throw crossing routes and slants would have helped the whole O.

It isn't hard to get. Why is it hard for some of you to get that a QB that cannot throw passes like slants or effectively use the middle of the field makes it harder to have an effective run game?

The playcalling to a great extent was designed to prevent JG from losing games by making mistakes trying to do things he doesn't do well. If he was "great" at the things I've mentioned then UT could have used them. Just the ability to throw crossing routes and slants would have helped the whole O.

Yeah throwing slants could help. He's done fine without, but that would certainly take his game to a higher level. Chryst was definitely better at those. The more the better, but it clearly hasn't kept him from doing alright.

But deflected from the point - rush game is what dragged us down last year.

Last edited:

Even with his enviable attempt/interception ratio, and his better-than-normal performance at Auburn, halfway through 2018 247 had JG ranked as the 10th best starting QB in the SEC. At the end of the season SDS ranked him 11th. Going into 2019, 247 has him ranked at 11. Opinions and buttholes etc. , but in all reality, it's only in the eyes of a cadre of on zealots Volnation that JG's performance in 2018 has him ranked in the top 4 QBs in the conference.

Hopefully Chaney can get him closer to actually being in the top 4 by the end of 2019.

Even with his enviable attempt/interception ratio, and his better-than-normal performance at Auburn, halfway through 2018 247 had JG ranked as the 10th best starting QB in the SEC. At the end of the season SDS ranked him 11th. Going into 2019, 247 has him ranked at 11. Opinions and buttholes etc. , but in all reality, it's only in the eyes of a cadre of on zealots Volnation that JG's performance in 2018 has him ranked in the top 4 QBs in the conference.

Hopefully Chaney can get him closer to actually being in the top 4 by the end of 2019.

Tbh I haven't seen anyone say he was top 4 last year. But he did rank 5th to 8th in categories based on rate. What most are saying is being middle of the pack behind the worst ol and 14th rushing attack is pretty respectable. What we are debating are the "JG was the worst QB in the SEC" know-nothings. He's so far from the bottom line it is just laughable. Was he at the top in his first full season starting? Of course not, the top guys were either seniors (Lock, Ta'amu) or had ridiculous supporting casts (Fromm, Tua).

Patience, people. You have no control over it, so might as well be patient and supportive :p

Last edited:
Reading the defense pre-snap and post-snap.

Pocket presents, unable to escape pressure.
Agreed. At the risk of opening a completely different can of worms with some... I wonder how much better he might be escaping pressure if his reads improved and some of the OL's got trucked less often. It sounds like S&C has helped but the way some of our OL's got run over by DL's last fall was flat out embarrassing. I got angry with Jones again every time I saw it.

Reactions: Devo182

I believe in JG's physical ability.

I believe in his perseverance and toughness.

I believe in Chaney more than any OC UT could have hired outside of Cutcliffe.

I think JG will try... but my worry is that he lacks ability to do some of the stuff he's been weak at. Not everyone can throw a ball like he can. Not everyone who can throw a ball can learn to do the mental part of the game well. I sincerely hope that's not JG... but where he was at the end of his 3rd year in college football is worrisome.

Agreed. At the risk of opening a completely different can of worms with some... I wonder how much better he might be escaping pressure if his reads improved and some of the OL's got trucked less often. It sounds like S&C has helped but the way some of our OL's got run over by DL's last fall was flat out embarrassing. I got angry with Jones again every time I saw it.

I've heard Pruitt has commissioned the making of prosthetic legs using a blueprint of Dobbs's legs. Expect big things in the run game from Guaranboto next year.

I believe in JG's physical ability.

I believe in his perseverance and toughness.

I believe in Chaney more than any OC UT could have hired outside of Cutcliffe.

I think JG will try... but my worry is that he lacks ability to do some of the stuff he's been weak at. Not everyone can throw a ball like he can. Not everyone who can throw a ball can learn to do the mental part of the game well. I sincerely hope that's not JG... but where he was at the end of his 3rd year in college football is worrisome.

tenor (3).gif

And thank you for making an effort to make intellectually honest arguments and admit some of JG's strengths, while presenting your concerns. Am I really on VN or have I been spoofed?

Reactions: sjt18 and 82_VOL_83
Do you have proof of this dinking and dunking or just an inclination? Fwiw JG was dead last in the SEC in pass attempts, yet 8th in passes of 30+ yards. Comparing him to Lock, a higher percentage of JG's passes were for 10+, 20+, and 30+ yards.

Where's your proof? Or just keep posting feelings idc

All you have to do is watch games he started the last two years. He has done a ton of dinking and dunking as you so call it. You are oblivious, clueless, and just trying to make excuses for his average at best performances outside of one game, Auburn last year!!!

All you have to do is watch games he started the last two years. He has done a ton of dinking and dunking as you so call it. You are oblivious, clueless, and just trying to make excuses for his average at best performances outside of one game, Auburn last year!!!

I'll agree in Butch's offense he probably did. That was the offense. But under Helton he took quite a few more shots.

Fwiw I ran the whole league based on what percentage of pass attempts were long pass plays and this is how JG stacked up:

10+ yards - 7th
20+ yards - 5th
30+ yards - 3rd
40+ yards - 6th
50+ yards - 6th

Clearly in the top half, not a dink and dunker it would seem.

I'll agree in Butch's offense he probably did. That was the offense. But under Helton he took quite a few more shots.

Fwiw I ran the whole league based on what percentage of pass attempts were long pass plays and this is how JG stacked up:

10+ yards - 7th
20+ yards - 5th
30+ yards - 3rd
40+ yards - 6th
50+ yards - 6th

Dont you come round here with logic and stats that say JG doesn't suck!!!

10+ yards - 7th
20+ yards - 5th
30+ yards - 3rd
40+ yards - 6th
50+ yards - 6th

Give me a link or links to show me the numbers above and prove it! Regardless, along with all his other stats that he is no better than 6th in the conference in most categories, besides pass efficiency. What was he from 0-9 yards? I am sure he was first or second. Yes, JG did lots of dinking and dunking!!! If you say otherwise, I want to see proof online somewhere.

Give me a link or links to show me the numbers above and prove it! Regardless, along with all his other stats that he is no better than 6th in the conference in most categories, besides pass efficiency. What was he from 0-9 yards? I am sure he was first or second. Yes, JG did lots of dinking and dunking!!! If you say otherwise, I want to see proof online somewhere.

*Was

There are some that think JG is what he is and that's it. Some think he is better than that and will improve under Chaney and Weinke. Both sides are gonna find out at the same time.

Reactions: butchna
*Was

There are some that think JG is what he is and that's it. Some think he is better than that and will improve under Chaney and Weinke. Both sides are gonna find out at the same time.

Edit 1: That last sentence is a butchna original.

Edit 2: I ment to edit not quote. Imma dumbass.

Reactions: butchna
Edit: That last sentence is a butchna original.
A variation of “we’ll all be right at the same time!” Like the self-important self-quoting? A variation of sjt’s multi-quoting. 😉

Reactions: Behr

VN Store

Back