JG helping out Shrout

k-town_king

How one young Vols QB is impressing Jarrett Guarantano

“I think he’s grown,” Guarantano said. “He’s grown physically and mentally, and every single day he’s asking me to get in the film room with him. He’s taken a lot of big steps.”

Great to see our starter helping the potential back up.

Great leadership and great to see Shrout improving. He may be needed at some point this year

There are endless jokes that we could make at JG's expense, but this might be as good for JG as it is for anyone. If you have ever had to teach anyone anything you know that you sometimes learn more by teaching than you knew before. In other words, JG might realize how much he didn't know by having a young QB ask him questions that he doesn't know how to answer or cant explain as well as he thought that he could. I learned the material that I teach young Marines and passed all my exams with no less that a 90% on all ten tests. Then I really learned it when a room full of Marines started asking me questions about it that I thought I knew. Maybe having to explain pocket presence and reading defenses he will be forced to learn more and know it better. He may have felt that he understood it and between game films and teaching a new QB he will learn what he doesn't know and improve. Not to mention, the better the new guy understands the offense, the more pressure that JG will have to up his game.

If memory serves me, Shrout only started 1 year in HS and threw a lot of picks. I imagine he came to the program pretty raw.

How one young Vols QB is impressing Jarrett Guarantano

“I think he’s grown,” Guarantano said. “He’s grown physically and mentally, and every single day he’s asking me to get in the film room with him. He’s taken a lot of big steps.”

Great to see our starter helping the potential back up.

Great leadership and great to see Shrout improving. He may be needed at some point this year

Good, an important part of the game as a QB is preparing. JG learned from one of the better one's at UT in Josh Dobbs, so now he can pass along what he's learned to the younger guys.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Good, an important part of the game as a QB is preparing. JG learned from one of the better one's at UT in Josh Dobbs, so now he can pass along what he's learned to the younger guys.

And at the very least he can be there when Shrout gets knocked down to ask him if he's gonna get back up and play or just lay there and bleed.

So the vet shouldn't help the players that he is better than and can help develop?

Good thing you aren't a coach.

I have trouble with liking what you say, not because you say it, but what it conveys. Which to me says our QB corp is in bad shape.

To belay some of my "troubling thoughts" is the comfort that many coaches who played sports games, were not very good as players. But that being said, they have made excellent coaches. (don't ask me to name some, they just have to be pointed out to me by the "babblers" during games)

Last edited:
giphy.gif

There are endless jokes that we could make at JG's expense, but this might be as good for JG as it is for anyone. If you have ever had to teach anyone anything you know that you sometimes learn more by teaching than you knew before. In other words, JG might realize how much he didn't know by having a young QB ask him questions that he doesn't know how to answer or cant explain as well as he thought that he could. I learned the material that I teach young Marines and passed all my exams with no less that a 90% on all ten tests. Then I really learned it when a room full of Marines started asking me questions about it that I thought I knew. Maybe having to explain pocket presence and reading defenses he will be forced to learn more and know it better. He may have felt that he understood it and between game films and teaching a new QB he will learn what he doesn't know and improve. Not to mention, the better the new guy understands the offense, the more pressure that JG will have to up his game.

Not just a "like"! A big damn"like".
Have experienced this same situation.

The disconnect between know and do is not uncommon. Chryst "knew" but he very often failed in execution both at Stanford and UT.

This is one of the better posts I've read on this site in a very long time. Great job.

If memory serves me, Shrout only started 1 year in HS and threw a lot of picks. I imagine he came to the program pretty raw.

If this be the case, what were we basing his ability to be a good big time college QB on? I don't remember his "hype" and if it was really proven to use experts. Seems it would be hard to prove with just one year of HS competition. (there have been many flash in the pan game players over the years) Or could it have been we thought he was a "project"? If this were so, wonder if we have the place and development time for this type prospect right now. Or were we grasping at straws? Just don't remember the circumstances.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
As much as JG got hit, he probably had PTSD. No quarterback would look good with the way the offensive line played last year. He isn't perfect but he is one tough son of a gun and hopefully better offensive line play will help with both the running and passing game. Creating the right situations will help JG be an effective quarterback....imho.

If OL can give JG some time, I think we'll see that JG is the least of our problems.

I absolutely agree.

Reactions: jwilliams

VN Store

Back