Jerry stackhouse’s response to the UT game.

"Commodore Nation, as we mourn the end of our 3 point streak..."

Was Stackhouse being sarcastic here? If not, that is an incredibly cheesy thing to say about such a trivial matter. My lord, you haven't won a conference game in nearly two years now.

Is it me, ir did it appear Stackhouse didnt really do much coaching? He just stood there and when they cut to his audio, he would just say generic stuff but not coach.

"All they getting is fast break points."

Ok coach, How do you get your guys to stop giving up fast break points????

I just watched the game yesterday after recording it. What was the deal with all the TV time for Stackhouse? They had him on as much as the game. He's standing on the edge of the court with the camera fixed on him again and again. It was weird.
Kept referring to his style of clothes also. Just another ho-hum evening in the SEC, IMO. They made a big deal out of Vandy's 3 point streak and I'm glad it didn't happen.

Reactions: feathersax
Is it me, ir did it appear Stackhouse didnt really do much coaching? He just stood there and when they cut to his audio, he would just say generic stuff but not coach.

I have said that multiple times since the game. He didn’t do a lick of coaching. The fact that he was “mic’d up” as an ESPN special feature made it all the more funny/awkward. He did nothing to inspire his players, or the fans confidence in his ability. All he really has going for him is a recognizable name. He signed a 6-year contract, and I will be shocked if he makes it into the second half of that contract.

That is a brutal thing to post in public
There's a lot to unpack from all that.

1. I didn't get the feeling watching the game that anyone but the fans had the streak on their mind. They took some 3s late but it didn't look abnormal for a 20 point game. He comments on the idea that they were running plays with it in mind, but it just didn't look that way. Maybe thats his way of cooling the flames some after the fact while at the time he either didn't know or didn't care.

2. The comical part is the idiotic Vandy fanbase. Their program is coming of 0fer the conference and is still struggling again this year with a new coach and they boo their team not because their biggest rival is handing them their hat on their floor, but because they made a 2 instead of a 3.

3. A streak like that is a nice discussion piece for a program, but it needing to be important enough for Stackhouse to have to address it publically that way is silly. Your program is in a ditch and under a new direction to try and fix it.

Given the circumstances, Id be more concerned that the HC felt like he needed to explain it in that detail.

Kept referring to his style of clothes also. Just another ho-hum evening in the SEC, IMO. They made a big deal out of Vandy's 3 point streak and I'm glad it didn't happen.

The announcers had to say something as you say it was a ho-hum game from the early minutes. They had to grasp at straws.

The Streak was the only thing Vandy really had to brag about. I will say this, since the late 60’s I have enjoyed some very exciting games against Vandy. Vandy will have a tough time rising up in the SEC Hierarchy with the successful and experienced Coaches currently coaching. JMO.

Reactions: feathersax

Vandy's roster sucks. Difficult to coach up a squad with their lack of talent. If they win 12 games it would be highly impressive.

That was a good, honest, informative tweet by the coach.

However, if he doesn't start winning games, especially in the SEC, he won't be coach for long. The only thing people look at is Top 5 recruiting class and what have you done with it.

Stackhouse is in a bad situation imo. He wasn’t able to really capitalize on his name and new coach excitement with his first recruiting class and then he lost his best player to injury. I think he could be a good head coach but he is inexperienced and will have to try and learn on the job in a tough SEC. I don’t think he will last too long at Vandy.

I live in the Memphis area and I can tell you, I am no Tiger fan. I am watching Penny go through this transition as well. A famous name does not mean you are a great coach. With my 2 kids being Memphis alumni, it still didn't bother me to see them lose by 40ish. I am thankful that my kids are not Tiger fanatics. I bleed Orange since growing up in Dyersburg, big Orange country.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
Vandy fans have to be the most abused in the SEC. They should put all their energy and resources into basketball. No reason they can't be relevant in that sport.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I live in the Memphis area and I can tell you, I am no Tiger fan. I am watching Penny go through this transition as well. A famous name does not mean you are a great coach. With my 2 kids being Memphis alumni, it still didn't bother me to see them lose by 40ish. I am thankful that my kids are not Tiger fanatics. I bleed Orange since growing up in Dyersburg, big Orange country.

I know we lost to Memphis, but seeing them get pounded by 40 by Tulsa was funny. How does that even happen? I know Penny is not a very good coach at least from what I've seen, but really?

Reactions: Rickyvol
Losing their best player again to injury has killed their season for the second year in a row. They have to deal with it.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
Definitely seems like a classy guy. Vanderbilt fans are absolute morons for booing their own team when they were driving to the rim making layups and dunks. Still don't know if I'd have posted something like that on Twitter though as it will likely prove to be more meme material than anything

Agreed. Night and day when comparing him with Penny at Memphis.

VN Store

Back