Jerry stackhouse’s response to the UT game.

I live in the Memphis area and I can tell you, I am no Tiger fan. I am watching Penny go through this transition as well. A famous name does not mean you are a great coach. With my 2 kids being Memphis alumni, it still didn't bother me to see them lose by 40ish. I am thankful that my kids are not Tiger fanatics. I bleed Orange since growing up in Dyersburg, big Orange country.
Penny has deep ties to Memphis which consistently produces big time basketball talent. This is the big advantage he has over Stackhouse imo. Stackhouse has to find talent where he can. The loses are going to pile up on Stackhouse this year mainly because he walked into a bad situation at Vandy. If he doesn't get some big time talent to buy into what he is doing this year to help next years team, Vanderbilt and Stackhouse himselff will get that losing stench tied to him that will be tough to shake off. As coaches, I think Stackhouse and Penny are pretty similar in that they may be in a little over their heads at this point based on limited coaching experience. But Penny is not competing in the SEC and has that Memphis recruiting base.

Definitely seems like a classy guy. Vanderbilt fans are absolute morons for booing their own team when they were driving to the rim making layups and dunks. Still don't know if I'd have posted something like that on Twitter though as it will likely prove to be more meme material than anything

He might be classy but he doesn't strike me as much of a coach. I think they were better off with Bryce Drew

Bryce Drew got hosed , new AD met then hired Stackhouse. Stack should be able to recruit

it takes a lot more than recruiting to get it done in college basketball. When will these schools learn that you can't just throw an NBA guy in there, watch him recruit 4 and 5 star guys and expect wins. Alabama found that out with Avery Johnson. UCLA, Steve Alford and it looks like Memphis and Georgetown might be headed that way too.

We lost our best player to injury and are still battling to make the dance. Not a team if you lose 1 player and that’s the lone reason you’re O’fer in conference play

Their record tells the tale of what they are. Rankings mean nothing if you cannot win.
Some folks would say if you have a roster with several highly ranked recruits and a poor record, then you have poor player development / coaching.

What a sorry excuse for a program. They care more about their precious 3 point streak than WINNING the game. We only made one of our 3s and still won by 21 points. Maybe be a better coach and adapt and realize that after the first 10 or so misses that maybe you need to work it inside to give yourself a chance. The object is to win the game and that’s what we did. Maybe they should try that instead of worrying about what the fans want.

"Mourning?" That's pathetic. They ought to be focused on figuring out a way to stop get pummelled by the SEC and losing to Richmond, Loyola, SMU, Tulsa....

VN Store

Back