Jeremy Pruitt on Tennessee QBs JT Shrout, Brian Maurer: 'Arm talent is not an issue'

weallvol

"For the first time in several offseasons, the starting quarterback position in Knoxville isn’t up for grabs as Jarrett Guarantano firmly has control of that spot on Rocky Top. However, as confident as the team may be in the starter under center, the players behind Guarantano entering 2019 having no experience playing in the SEC.
It’s fair to say the team doesn’t exactly know what it has in redshirt freshman JT Shrout and true freshman Brian Maurer, at least until either one of them sees the field for the first time in meaningful action. Until that point, the coaching staff only has practice reps to go off of heading into the season.
The way Jeremy Pruitt tells it a week into spring camp, neither player lacks the skill to play at this level but the rest of their game needs to catch up to their talent.
“Both guys have good arms. They have pretty good athletic ability, they have to speed up, they have to take care of the football. Arm talent is not an issue, but if you’re throwing the ball late, it’s not a good thing,” Pruitt said during his latest media availability. “You have to know where to start in your progressions, you have to handle the offense, you have to get them in and out of the huddle. You have to be a good communicator and you have to be demanding.'"

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/jeremy-pruitt-jt-shrout-brian-maurer/

After watching the last two years, I would definetly agree that arm talent isn't an issue

Yet another article that passed through an editor with glaring issues in grammar. It is insane. I am not college educated, BTW. I see so many errors these days in articles supposedly written by college educated "journalists" and having passed the supposed scrutiny of an editor. It is appalling. I never play "grammar police" on VN, I have been here long enough to know the futility of that endeavor. Am i wrong to expect better from "professionals" , though?

Yet another article that passed through an editor with glaring issues in grammar. It is insane. I am not college educated, BTW. I see so many errors these days in articles supposedly written by college educated "journalists" and having passed the supposed scrutiny of an editor. It is appalling. I never play "grammar police" on VN, I have been here long enough to know the futility of that endeavor. Am i wrong to expect better from "professionals" , though?

The first letter in quotation marks is always capitalized.

Reactions: Rockyjr
I think Shrout may have been a project QB that's been recruited over. Full disclosure- I don't know anything

He's a definitely a project QB. I don't know that he's been "recruited over" per se, but I think the rationale for taking him was that he had high upside, even though there's a reasonable chance he may never realize it. Shrout's biggest issue is accuracy. I'm pessimistic on him because that's one of the more difficult issues to fix, but it's not impossible, and there are examples of QBs that have improved accuracy significantly, but those cases are the minority.

I agree --- both Maurer and Bailey are probably more likely to compete for the starting job in the future, but maybe Shrout surprises us. I wouldn't write him off yet.

Don't you guys have another OC in the barn? He could do your QB a big favor this season and start stretching the defense from side to side. Otherwise, if the passing game gets too vertical that kid will hang onto the ball until someone decapitates him.

Reactions: USMC-TNVOL
Don't you guys have another OC in the barn? He could do your QB a big favor this season and start stretching the defense from side to side. Otherwise, if the passing game gets too vertical that kid will hang onto the ball until someone decapitates him.
Thanks for noticing. JG needs to use the whole field. Whether because they didn't trust him or he didn't have the confidence... he has not thrown to the middle of the field or "to spots". The two previous OC's have protected him from mistakes by giving him still targets or passes to the sideline to limit what he has to read in the secondary. It produced good "stats" but not an effective O that scored points.

The OL was bad... but JG bears his part as well.

Reactions: tnvols106
I don't know anything at all about Shrout or Maurer. HS highlights do not necessarily translate to college potential or performance. Really hard to make a critical analysis when there's no data. Pruitt is so deadpan... it is hard to know whether a guy really stinks or is ripping it up. He seems to always reach for what needs to improve.

Thanks for noticing. JG needs to use the whole field. Whether because they didn't trust him or he didn't have the confidence... he has not thrown to the middle of the field or "to spots". The two previous OC's have protected him from mistakes by giving him still targets or passes to the sideline to limit what he has to read in the secondary. It produced good "stats" but not an effective O that scored points.

The OL was bad... but JG bears his part as well.

I'm sure this year the training wheels come off. Chaney gets to work his shorter sideline stuff with some play action thrown in for good measure. Jake Fromm has done alright running that formula. But Georgia established the run and pretty much has kept pounding the ball with Fromm using the passing game to keep them honest. Big difference in offensive approach when you run to set up your pass as opposed to a pass-first approach.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
He's a definitely a project QB. I don't know that he's been "recruited over" per se, but I think the rationale for taking him was that he had high upside, even though there's a reasonable chance he may never realize it. Shrout's biggest issue is accuracy. I'm pessimistic on him because that's one of the more difficult issues to fix, but it's not impossible, and there are examples of QBs that have improved accuracy significantly, but those cases are the minority.

I agree --- both Maurer and Bailey are probably more likely to compete for the starting job in the future, but maybe Shrout surprises us. I wouldn't write him off yet.
I also agree. I wouldn't write JT off but I've saw alot of film on Bailey and he looks legit. I wouldn't be surprised if after JG is gone Bailey starts even tho Maurer has more time here learning.

Reactions: k-town_king

VN Store

Back