Jeremy Pruitt on Tennessee QBs JT Shrout, Brian Maurer: 'Arm talent is not an issue'

nothing wrong with getting a couple of good years of practice and coaching and then moving on to a little bit smaller school and getting a couple of years playing there.

I also agree. I wouldn't write JT off but I've saw alot of film on Bailey and he looks legit. I wouldn't be surprised if after JG is gone Bailey starts even tho Maurer has more time here learning.
These guys have a year head start... but I have no doubt that Pruitt will do all he can to recruit over both of them. Not sure about Bailey since HS highlights often do not accurately predict a college career... but he plays really well against a very high level of competition.

OTOH, so did Worley.

These guys have a year head start... but I have no doubt that Pruitt will do all he can to recruit over both of them. Not sure about Bailey since HS highlights often do not accurately predict a college career... but he plays really well against a very high level of competition.

OTOH, so did Worley.
Thats true.

Yet another article that passed through an editor with glaring issues in grammar. It is insane. I am not college educated, BTW. I see so many errors these days in articles supposedly written by college educated "journalists" and having passed the supposed scrutiny of an editor. It is appalling. I never play "grammar police" on VN, I have been here long enough to know the futility of that endeavor. Am i wrong to expect better from "professionals" , though?

Your first mistake is assuming these writers desire to be “professionals” in their job. The second is your expectation that these writers should be able to communicate a story so that the reader can understand exactly what is being reported. Everything is about likes and clicks so these con artists get paid. That’s why I rarely click on a link.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Thats assuming the starter can actually put enough points on the board to allow that to happen..

If I recall correctly, Chryst got only meaningful snaps except when JG got hurt. Even during the ETSU blowout he just handed it off.

OTOH, so did Worley.
To be fair, Worley was in an offensive system that he wasn't a good fit for. Dude was tough as hell.

The only real good thing I ever saw after Peyton/Tee until Fulmers fireing was that he would settle on a freshman and ride with him for four years. Was that QB always the better of the group? No! But there was consistency!

I also agree. I wouldn't write JT off but I've saw alot of film on Bailey and he looks legit. I wouldn't be surprised if after JG is gone Bailey starts even tho Maurer has more time here learning.
I think Bailey sitting next year behind JG will be very beneficial. I expect JG to be top 3 in the SEC his senior season which will give Bailey time to study and prepare for his RS Fr/So season

Reactions: k-town_king
I think Bailey sitting next year behind JG will be very beneficial. I expect JG to be top 3 in the SEC his senior season which will give Bailey time to study and prepare for his RS Fr/So season
I agree 100 percent. I expect JG to be a top QB his senior year, with Bailey behind him learning everything he can.

Yet another article that passed through an editor with glaring issues in grammar. It is insane. I am not college educated, BTW. I see so many errors these days in articles supposedly written by college educated "journalists" and having passed the supposed scrutiny of an editor. It is appalling. I never play "grammar police" on VN, I have been here long enough to know the futility of that endeavor. Am i wrong to expect better from "professionals" , though?
You should have a semicolon after "VN" instead of a comma. The comma after "professionals" should be inside the quotation marks, not outside them. Not capitalizing "I" is just childish. Additionally, there were several other awkward grammatic decisions you made in your post, but they were less objectionable than the problems I mentioned.

You should have a semicolon after "VN" instead of a comma. The comma after "professionals" should be inside the quotation marks, not outside them. Not capitalizing "I" is just childish. Additionally, there were several other awkward grammatic decisions you made in your post, but they were less objectionable than the problems I mentioned.
Hahaha. This **** is too funny.

He's a definitely a project QB. I don't know that he's been "recruited over" per se, but I think the rationale for taking him was that he had high upside, even though there's a reasonable chance he may never realize it. Shrout's biggest issue is accuracy. I'm pessimistic on him because that's one of the more difficult issues to fix, but it's not impossible, and there are examples of QBs that have improved accuracy significantly, but those cases are the minority.

I agree --- both Maurer and Bailey are probably more likely to compete for the starting job in the future, but maybe Shrout surprises us. I wouldn't write him off yet.

Normally if a quarterback has accuracy issues it's his footwork and release, which are mechanics that can be improved rather quickly. If we have good quarterback coaching he will make huge steps in that department in the two years on campus. Strong arm is what can't be taught.....

Reactions: butchna
Normally if a quarterback has accuracy issues it's his footwork and release, which are mechanics that can be improved rather quickly. If we have good quarterback coaching he will make huge steps in that department in the two years on campus. Strong arm is what can't be taught.....
Yup.

hope the back-ups will get (should get) some playing time in the early part of the season against
some of the less challenging schools - providing a big lead has been given. Would be good to see
how they do in game situations

Reactions: cgrish
hope the back-ups will get (should get) some playing time in the early part of the season against
some of the less challenging schools - providing a big lead has been given. Would be good to see
how they do in game situations

If they are allowed to run the regular offense would be great expierence, meaning not just hand the ball off.

The biggest thing that CJP can do to prepare those young QB's is invest in the running game. Both will need to see real action to see who can handle the pressure. There is obviously a real difference between practice reps and game time as CJP stated. But if the running game is solid that can bail us out of a bind if JG goes down and we have to play a freshman at QB. We need to O-line to be able to open up holes for the running back corps so that the QB's can rotate in and get some reps and step into the role for JG if need be without the added pressure of having to make big throws.

VN Store

Back