Jeremy Pruitt Invites Financial Adviser Speak to Tennessee Football Team

Dave Ramsey is an idiot who preys on the ignorant, using christianity as a crutch to sell his books and programs.
Amen, preach it.
They should ask me, alum and licensed to actually give help. I would be honored to serve. By the way, I don’t have any books and programs, but if I give up my licenses I could do that.

Read his book, got out of debt, now have a seven figure net worth. He's an "idiot" more people should listen to.

Oh, geeze. I guess you don’t know what you don’t know. To each their own and some don’t mind living ignorantly. Wish I was ok with being oblivious about a lot of things so nothing wrong with that.

I’m glad you don’t have to worry about debt at least.

This is very valuable thing. People think that just because they're a millionaire that their money will never run out even though they live a lavish lifestyle.

Last edited:
Reactions: WoodsmanVol
Can't disagree with you about this. Some notable, and you'd think intelligent athletes have fallen victim to such leeches. Kareem Jabbar is one. Forced to come out of retirement to recoup his loses. It's always been true that where there's big money, there's big greed. Hopefully, Pruitt has our guys pointed right and to FA's who are reputable.

This is very valuable thing. People think that just because they're a millionaire that they're money will never run out even though they live a lavish lifestyle.
Whats the number, 75%ish?...that lose it all a few years after they stop playing..

Dave Ramsey isn't a licensed financial advisor. He legally couldn't even give them recommendations if they asked him what to invest in and things like that. That isn't the guy to bring in.

At that age, and in that setting, all those kids need to know is basics about budgeting and putting money in savings. That's about all 99% of them could handle anyway. They should have another program for those leaving school educating them on a broader range of topics such as investments and things like that. They should probably separate the leaving school group into a "going pro" and "going into a 9-5" conversation. Those kids going into the NFL will need an entirely different financial talk than those going to work a "normal" job.
Which would be right up Dave Ramseys alley. They dont need investing advice; they do need not pissing away your money advice.

Disclaimer: I'm a Dave Ramsey ELP. I do not get people's beef with DR. He provides a formula for winning at life. I've never heard a single person say "I followed DR's advice and I'm worse off for it". Google his "baby steps" and tell me which one is harmful.

Back to the topic of the thread, I would give them some advice I gleaned from Warren Buffet. If you don't 100% understand it, don't invest in it.
Another piece of advice I gleaned from Travis Henry, there is no harm in having a vasectomy in your youth.

Reactions: Burger
Amen, preach it.
They should ask me, alum and licensed to actually give help. I would be honored to serve. By the way, I don’t have any books and programs, but if I give up my licenses I could do that.
So as a licensed something or other, what bad advice does DR give? Is the living below your means? How about getting out from under high interest cc debt? Maybe it's paying off your smallest loan first and then snowballing that into the next smallest loan? Stuuuupid...

Are any of those bad advice? If not those how about other bad advice?

Reactions: Alto1
Glad to see we have a coach who understands his players are more than just football players. They're people too, and young inexperienced in life too.

How often have we read of former players who once had access to millions but are dead broke sometimes before or shortly after their career ends? Multiple reasons for this. Just like lottery jackpot winners, they deal with hanger-ons, irresponsible gifting, fleecing by family, friends, charities, churches, so-called investors and more. They need a financial plan, budget managing, and learning how to have one and make it mean something, no better time than right now. Hopefully, the players are smart enough to listen and implement what they hear and learn. Thank you Pruitt for caring about these players when they are both here now and long gone to prep them for what is to come.

For those interested, this article while basketball-related gives a pretty good idea of how our players can benefit if apply what's taught.
NBA Rookie Makes Millions - but Can't Touch His Money

Man of God.

From the above article

3 out of 5 in basketball and 4 out of 5 football players end up broke once they stop playing. NO excuse for that. That is a stupid "gold spinning rims" mentality. Glad Pruitt seems to be trying to instill some life skills as well as football.
Eh not necessarily. A lot of athletes go broke by trusting the wrong people and making bad investments. A lot of them grew up poor, and then it's like over night they're rich and they don't have a clue what to do with it, meanwhile they have people blowing up their phone trying to give them "advice" and talk them into bad investments. ESPN made a really good 30 for 30 on this called "Broke." Worth a watch.

These athletes do not need investment advice at all. They need personal finance advice, and Dave Ramsey would be one of the best choices. I'm not a fan of religion, but the advice is great. They need to be taught how to manage their money.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Dave Ramsey is an idiot who preys on the ignorant, using christianity as a crutch to sell his books and programs.
I don’t particularly like his same old tired debt snowball BS, but the guy does give a lot of money to charities he believes in.... a lot of money

Google his "baby steps" and tell me which one is harmful.

Steps 2, 4, and 6 could significantly set you back financially. Again, not disparaging people, but if you don’t have a good financial education, then his program will certainly take advantage of your ignorance. I would argue his programs are predatory if not criminal.

He certainly knows that a certain demographic is very susceptible to manipulation and he takes full advantage of it.

But I guess If people in that demographic are stupid enough to accumulate large amounts of stupid types of debt, any type of saving and debt aversion is an improvement. As long as inflation stays low, I guess his program might keep you from starving.

So you're listend extensively to DR?

Or just read quotes from his detractors?

I suspect the latter.

Nope, not the latter. Haven’t read anything from detractors and actually didn’t know many existed, but I’m not surprised. I used to listen to him give very poor advice for entertainment.

Steps 2, 4, and 6 could significantly set you back financially. Again, not disparaging people, but if you don’t have a good financial education, then his program will certainly take advantage of your ignorance. I would argue his programs are predatory if not criminal.

He certainly knows that a certain demographic is very susceptible to manipulation and he takes full advantage of it.

But I guess If people in that demographic are stupid enough to accumulate large amounts of stupid types of debt, any type of saving and debt aversion is an improvement. As long as inflation stays low, I guess his program might keep you from starving.

Please describe how 2, 4, and 6 could significantly set you back financially.

Please explain how his programs are predatory if not criminal.

His program practically guarantees success, and it's simple enough that the average non-financial person can understand it without paying big fees to an advisor.

In my experience most DR haters are anti religion or sellers of whole life and annuities.

Reactions: MikeVol44 and Alto1
Please describe how 2, 4, and 6 could significantly set you back financially.

Please explain how his programs are predatory if not criminal.

His program practically guarantees success, and it's simple enough that the average non-financial person can understand it without paying big fees to an advisor.

In my experience most DR haters are anti religion or sellers of whole life and annuities.
DR's advice is great in the absence of a plan, but it's not quite as one size fits all as it's sometimes portrayed. There are plenty of situations where debt and even a credit card or whole life make sense.

Nope, not the latter. Haven’t read anything from detractors and actually didn’t know many existed, but I’m not surprised. I used to listen to him give very poor advice for entertainment.
So what poor advice have you heard from him? Go to church on Sundays? That type advice?

VN Store

Back