Jeremy Pruit setting records at Tennessee!

I get blaming Fulmer for hiring the guy....but to say he ran the program into the ground is just dumb. That dude cares as much about Tennesse football, if not more, than any of us. Our AD before him was a damn joke, and he came into a sh!tshow. I’d absolutely take Fulmer as a head coach right now no problem. You can blame the past 4 head coaches for running the program into the ground.

Fulmer doesn’t give a **** about UT football, all he cares about is his paychecks. Fulmer is the biggest reason we are where we are.

It’s still been like 96 years since Tennessee won just 3 games in a season.

Thanks for your input LAVol. For me, Fulmer did a lot of good for the program up until 2001. Those close to the situation encouraged him to retire while he was on top or near the top. I hated for him to go out the way he did. That being said, he steadily took the program downward getting blown out in big games and bowl games time and again. Yes, we played in the 2001, 2004 and 2007 SEC Championship games but we lost. Nobody remembers the superbowl loser. Even 2007, everyone knew FL was the better team, they blew us out in Gainsville that year. That being said, I actually think the program would be better off today if Fulmer HAD NOT BEEN FIRED but it is what it is.

Why is it my opinion that Fulmer ran the program into the ground twice-because the Dave Clawson hire was catstrophic to the program. That hire is on Fulmer, he owns it. It set in motion a series of irreversbile events-repeated losing-resulting in his firing and the hiring of Kifin, Dooley, Jones and now Pruitt. The Pruitt hire is clearly awful. How long can we wait for Pruitt to learn, to get aggressive, to go out there and coach to win...? We are seeing an inexperienced coach, coaching scared, coaching not to lose. He does not appear to be learning. He is stubborn and he is setting BAD records. Pruit, so far is actually worse than Butch Jones (never thought I'd say that). In full disclaimer part of this is emotion and reaction but my goodness Pruitt looks like one of the worst hires we could have made and Fulmer made it!
I totally get that. I just don’t think Fulmer is the only one to blame. Hamilton hired Kiffin and Dooley. Yes Fulmer was going downhill, but I think it’s a series of choices that just don’t fall only on him. Yes he hired Pruitt, and it looks like a mistake. But I do think the guy wants what’s best for the program. I honestly think I have Battered Vol Syndrome! I grew up in the 90’s, enjoying being on top as a program! Now I tell my family...”we used to be great! This year will be different”....and it never is

Reactions: SmokinBob
While were at on records. First man to run Tennessee football into the ground twice-Fulmer

This is the dumbest ish I have ever seen posted on the internet.

The University claims 6 National Championships. I agree with 3. 1938 (Went undefeated and beat #2 Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl ), 1950 (Went 11-1 and won the Cotton Bowl vs #3 Texas) and 1998 (13 -0 beat FSU in the Fiesta Bowl). The other 3 (1940 - Lost Sugar Bowl game vs Boston College) (1951 Lost Sugar Bowl to Maryland) and (The 1967 "National Championship" is a total farce, they lost 2 games including the bowl game vs Oklahoma)

They have only won 2 AP Championships and one of those was in the era where Championships were decided BEFORE bowl games.

But I say all that to say, there are only 2 dudes to ever win a National title at Tennessee. To say that one of those 2 dudes "ran the program into the ground" it just stupid.

Dooley, Jones and now Pruitt have all been terrible hires. None of them could have carried Fulmer's jockstrap as a player and none of them would have had a winning record vs Fulmer as a coach. Fulmer's Record at Tennessee was 152 - 52 over 15 full seasons and to partial seasons. He went 8 - 6 in Bowl games and finished ranked in the top 25 15 times including being ranked 12th and tied for the East Championship the year before he was fired.

The last 10 win season and East Division Championship came in 2007.....13 years ago.....the season BEFORE we fired one of only two men to ever win a real Natty here.

Fulmer didn't destroy this program. Idiot fans who know dick about football, meddling boosters and incompetent administrators did that.

We are getting what we deserve for firing a hall of fame coach in the middle of the season WHILE he had the consensus #1 recruiting class in the nation committed.

We would give ANYTHING to have the kind of sucess Fulmer had in his second to last year here.

Is Pruitt the right guy for us? I don't think so. But get off Fulmer's nutts.

The University claims 6 National Championships. I agree with 3. 1938 (Went undefeated and beat #2 Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl ), 1950 (Went 11-1 and won the Cotton Bowl vs #3 Texas) and 1998 (13 -0 beat FSU in the Fiesta Bowl). The other 3 (1940 - Lost Sugar Bowl game vs Boston College) (1951 Lost Sugar Bowl to Maryland) and (The 1967 "National Championship" is a total farce, they lost 2 games including the bowl game vs Oklahoma)

They have only won 2 AP Championships and one of those was in the era where Championships were decided BEFORE bowl games.

But I say all that to say, there are only 2 dudes to ever win a National title at Tennessee. To say that one of those 2 dudes "ran the program into the ground" it just stupid.

Dooley, Jones and now Pruitt have all been terrible hires. None of them could have carried Fulmer's jockstrap as a player and none of them would have had a winning record vs Fulmer as a coach. Fulmer's Record at Tennessee was 152 - 52 over 15 full seasons and to partial seasons. He went 8 - 6 in Bowl games and finished ranked in the top 25 15 times including being ranked 12th and tied for the East Championship the year before he was fired.

The last 10 win season and East Division Championship came in 2007.....13 years ago.....the season BEFORE we fired one of only two men to ever win a real Natty here.

Fulmer didn't destroy this program. Idiot fans who know dick about football, meddling boosters and incompetent administrators did that.

We are getting what we deserve for firing a hall of fame coach in the middle of the season WHILE he had the consensus #1 recruiting class in the nation committed.

We would give ANYTHING to have the kind of sucess Fulmer had in his second to last year here.

Fulmer reaped the benefits of Johnny Majors' program building, and after that initial surge from it in the mid and late 90s, he stayed WAY too loyal and didn't attempt to change his stripes. It ultimately led to his downfall. Fulmer is a great ambassador for UT, but he's got to get away from being so close to the football team. Him coaching the OL recently was just one of the most dysfunctional things I have every heard an AD doing in my years of following college sports. He needs to be focused on the $$$ and get his hands out of the meddling. His job is to hire/fire head coaches and give them within reason the resources they request to win, but the coach in him won't let him do that in a way that is truly healthy for program building.

Nick Saban's reign in college football is by far the best example of how a coach recruits and hires assistants to adjust to the ever changing landscape in how football is played. He is loyal to NO ONE, and will do whatever it takes to win, which is the ultimate litmus test in coaching and building a program. No one that is a Bama fan that I know of thought Mac Jones would be starting this year, nor did they think it would be a prolific offense, but here we are and he is starting and they are beating people by an average of 30 points a game.

In the end, no one is wanting Pruitt to be Saban, but he's not winning any minds or hearts in year 3 with the performance and management of this team. I would love to give him a pass in this pandemic year, but having two weeks to prepare your "future" QB and not at least letting him start, seeing how he manages the game, and building off of that, I'm afraid Pruitt has probably run his course in Knoxville. No one here truly wants to start over, but in the end I'm not sure we ever truly did with Pruitt, given the circumstances of his hiring. He wasn't even in the Top 5 of choices, and that is the reason we are where we are. It may even be possible that the hire we blocked may end up being better than what we settled with. I don't think UT would have taken Michigan to 3OT yesterday, granted Rutgers didn't win, but getting Michigan to that point in year 1 for Schiano is a little egg on our face.

Fulmer reaped the benefits of Johnny Majors' program building, and after that initial surge from it in the mid and late 90s, he stayed WAY too loyal and didn't attempt to change his stripes. It ultimately led to his downfall. Fulmer is a great ambassador for UT, but he's got to get away from being so close to the football team. Him coaching the OL recently was just one of the most dysfunctional things I have every heard an AD doing in my years of following college sports. He needs to be focused on the $$$ and get his hands out of the meddling. His job is to hire/fire head coaches and give them within reason the resources they request to win, but the coach in him won't let him do that in a way that is truly healthy for program building.

+++I don't think UT would have taken Michigan to 3OT yesterday, granted Rutgers didn't win, but getting Michigan to that point in year 1 for Schiano is a little egg on our face.+++

Fulmer's first game as head coach was Memphis State in 1992. His first SEC title was in 1997.....5 years later and it was year 6 that he won his natty. Neither of those teams were signed by Johnny Majors.

And I also find it funny that you use Majors in your argument to Fire Pruitt when Johnny was at Tennessee 5 years before he got his first bowl win and 11 years before he had his first 10 win season.

The 1976 team...the year before Johhny took over....went 6 - 5. The 2017 team....the year before Pruitt.....went 4 - 8. Pruitt inherited a program in much worse shape than Johnny.

Johnny's first 2 years he was 9 -12 - 1 with no top 25 victories and a bowl loss. Pruitt's first two years were 13 - 12 with 2 wins vs top 25 teams and a bowl win.

You wanna say Fulmer was a flop and destroyed our program twice....you better be able to show your work.

As for Schiano....if you are ok with the situation that surrounds that guy....then you and I aren't going to agree on anything.

Fulmer's first game as head coach was Memphis State in 1992. His first SEC title was in 1997.....5 years later and it was year 6 that he won his natty. Neither of those teams were signed by Johnny Majors.

And I also find it funny that you use Majors in your argument to Fire Pruitt when Johnny was at Tennessee 5 years before he got his first bowl win and 11 years before he had his first 10 win season.

The 1976 team...the year before Johhny took over....went 6 - 5. The 2017 team....the year before Pruitt.....went 4 - 8. Pruitt inherited a program in much worse shape than Johnny.

Johnny's first 2 years he was 9 -12 - 1 with no top 25 victories and a bowl loss. Pruitt's first two years were 13 - 12 with 2 wins vs top 25 teams and a bowl win.

You wanna say Fulmer was a flop and destroyed our program twice....you better be able to show your work.

As for Schiano....if you are ok with the situation that surrounds that guy....then you and I aren't going to agree on anything.

Never said he was a flop and destroyed our program twice, not even once. That was another poster.

I think just the opposite, however, I do believe that Fulmer was a victim of his own design by being loyal to coaches too long and being WAY too resistant to changing his methodology in offense and defense. That aside, he is the AD of UT, not a fill in OL coach, and that in of itself is indicative of someone who is TOO close to football being the AD. He needs to step back and do what Fulmer does best, bring in the revenue for everything in the AD and help get us back in that respect. If he continues to get in his own way doing what he's doing, he will be sealing his own fate, along with Pruitt's, whose fate may get sealed this weekend if we don't boat race Vandy.

1. Worst loss in program history-check (pick your poison)
2. Worst loss at home to UK in program history-check
3. First 5 game losing streak in 32 years-check.
4. Post edit to include Peter Burns quote:

Peter Burns
@PeterBurnsESPN
If this score holds, it will be 5 straight losses for Tennessee football by double digits.

That's never happened in the history of their program dating back to 1891.
8:56 PM · Nov 21, 2020

Why on earth he started JG tonight is baffling...what else does he need to see? How many losses will it take for this idiot to make a change at the QB1 position?

While were at on records. First man to run Tennessee football into the ground twice-Fulmer

Sad state of affaris on rocky top, pitiful really.

Breaking records set by Butch!

1. Worst loss in program history-check (pick your poison)
2. Worst loss at home to UK in program history-check
3. First 5 game losing streak in 32 years-check.
4. Post edit to include Peter Burns quote:

Peter Burns
@PeterBurnsESPN
If this score holds, it will be 5 straight losses for Tennessee football by double digits.

That's never happened in the history of their program dating back to 1891.
8:56 PM · Nov 21, 2020

Why on earth he started JG tonight is baffling...what else does he need to see? How many losses will it take for this idiot to make a change at the QB1 position?

Sad state of affaris on rocky top, pitiful really.
Peter Burns? I got that once when I fell asleep sunbathing in the nude....whew talk about painful.😜

Actually, this is the dumbest thing you’ll see on the internet and it was done by Fulmer.

How the Tennessee Vols made a complete mess of their coaching situation | A to Z Sports Nashville

Last edited:
And here is why Ga St is the worse loss in TN History.

"The Georgia State Panthers football team is the college football program for Georgia State University in Atlanta, Georgia. The Panthers football team was founded in 2010 and competes at the NCAA Division I FBS level"

They hadn't even been a football team for 10 years and they best us at home.

Cornbread should have been fired after this loss.

He sucks at strategy. You don't play the QB who gives you the best chance of winning the next game. You play the QB that gives you the chance of winning the MOST games. That isn't JG.

If I were Fulmer I would make his job contingent on starting someone other than JG for the rest of the season. This is well beyond ridiculous.
Does Fulmer have the power or gonads to make such a demand? Word is they do not have the money to fire him.

Reactions: hexnut
P
I would actually like to thank Jeremy Pruitt for reminding me that there's more to life than Tennessee football.
Post of the year for me. I quit the NFL three years ago and now have doubled the quality of my weekends this year.

Fulmer would not have had another winning season at UT when he was fired. Meyer, Saban, and Spurrier had already taken the league over at that point. Even Vandy had won 2 of the last 4 against Fulmer. He was only a winner when Cutcliff was in Knoxville.

Reactions: BeardedVol
Fulmer doesn’t give a **** about UT football, all he cares about is his paychecks. Fulmer is the biggest reason we are where we are.

I would gladly take Fulmers record over anything we have done since he was fired.

I would gladly take Fulmers record over anything we have done since he was fired.
Hahahahahahahaha

Oh wait
Hahahahahahahahaha
He was done when a back up, broken legged, can barely read qb ran over his BEST team.

Keep slurpin him tho.
Glory days or no days right??

I suggested that when we hired him. He's a mercenary. If he does well it's all for him. He has no love for this place, and University that he grew up a rival of. How could he?

Because, some people still have Pride, regardless of where they are coaching, Pruitt doesn’t hate UT, he’s just in over his country head, no more, no less

Reactions: hexnut and onevol74
Fulmer would not have had another winning season at UT when he was fired. Meyer, Saban, and Spurrier had already taken the league over at that point. Even Vandy had won 2 of the last 4 against Fulmer. He was only a winner when Cutcliff was in Knoxville.

You know that part of my earlier post where I talked about Tennessee fans who don't know dick about football.....read it.....study it.....learn it......because it's you

Does Fulmer have the power or gonads to make such a demand? Word is they do not have the money to fire him.
I am not sure if there is contract language that gives Pruitt protection or not. There was a rumor that Fulmer forced Pruitt to replace JG last year.

We find every reason in the world to hate JP, even the cornbread and asparagus craziness. Well look, I love cornbread and hate asparagus. Has nothing to do with my coaching or my business dealings. We will BEAT Florida..........watch

He’s born and bred bammer. Looks like he is doing exactly what all bammers want. Destroy our program and get paid big money to do it.
idk. His reputation is on the line, so I’m sure he’s not just out there trying to suck. He seems like an egomaniac that would want nothing but to win, he’s maybe just not capable of putting it all together.

idk. His reputation is on the line, so I’m sure he’s not just out there trying to suck. He seems like an egomaniac that would want nothing but to win, he’s maybe just not capable of putting it all together.
But if he is incapable of seeing that his QB scores more for the other team than his own, he doesn’t belong coaching this team.

I do think he knows football. I do think he has an eye for talent. I do think he has a problem translating it to his team. He is a more boring head coach than Tom Laundry, just doesn’t dress as nice. I don’t want to go through another coaching search, but he is going to have to have a quick turn around or it’s over for him.

VN Store

Back