Jay Graham

Jay Graham was my first realization something was amiss with Butch.....Jay couldn't leave Big Orange Country fast enough to get away from Butch...
I had those same thoughts....there was no way he would just up and leave for FSU unless he really saw some things he didn't like. In fact, I think it was reported that he was even shopping his name around.

Pretty sure he was main recruiter for Crouch. I'd say that was pretty good.

Edit: Sorry that was Eric Gray not Crouch...
I dont think so. Are you thinking Weinke recruited him bc he's RB coach? I'm pretty sure Weinke was primary recruiter on a 3 star OG out of IMG and that's about it. Here's an article showing who was targeting who recruiting wise on our staff.

Where Vols' coaches finished in 247Sports Recruiter Rankings

That’s a pretty nice contribution to this recruiting class. So maybe he doesn’t suck quite as bad as so many on here say he does?

But I think he was only primary on a single guy - Chris A. #357 recruiter by 247

Could just be a cultural mismatch? Some really talented people just don't fit together with other groups of talented people.
Exactly.
Thought about pointing this out before but was busy. Doesn't matter how talented a coach is (or player for that matter), you can't force 'fit' and it would only hurt in the long run. Not really a head scratcher at all.

As far as Weinke, it's been said by people I personally trust that Pruitt likes him and his coaching. No real mystery.

Reactions: Henry Letham
Weinke is the lead recruiter for 2020 5 star OL Justin Rogers and seems to be doing a great job. We are certainly in his top two at the moment if not leading.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I’ve maintained this since Gillespie was originally hired by Butch. A RB’s coach is graded on his recruiting...because a STUFFED ARMADILLO can coach that position. Most minimal teaching needed for a position group. That’s where many up and coming on field coaches get their start. Run here, run there, catch this and block that. Don’t even need a pamphlet. Gillespie did well...nothing irreplaceable.

Last edited:
I’ve maintained this since Gillespie was originally hired by Butch. A RB’s coach is graded on his recruiting...because a STUFFED ARMADILLO can coach that position. Most minimal teaching needed for a position group. That’s why many up and coming on field coaches get their start. Run here, run there, catch this and block that. Don’t even need a pamphlet. Gillespie did well...nothing irreplaceable.

Agreed. I'm willing to bet that most of the coaching with RB's is spent on blocking assignments on pass plays.

Reactions: butchna
Any news on Graham? Has Pruitt said how he plans to align his staff?

I think Pruitt indicated that he needed to sit down with coaches and discuss their roles after they took the weekend off after NSD.

I’ve maintained this since Gillespie was originally hired by Butch. A RB’s coach is graded on his recruiting...because a STUFFED ARMADILLO can coach that position. Most minimal teaching needed for a position group. That’s where many up and coming on field coaches get their start. Run here, run there, catch this and block that. Don’t even need a pamphlet. Gillespie did well...nothing irreplaceable.

you're somewhat right but somewhat wrong too. Butchna a Rb coach as Graham or CRG can teach based on experiential knowledge. Also their experience is better than any plug and play coach. There are certain drills and such that true Rbs can teach the kids and the way they break down film based on experience is different too. I spoke to players and they said the difference was night and day. CRG had years of experience in which his Rbs did their thing dating back to WV.He worked them and called for them to do extra work outside of practice as a group etc. The guys said all that kind of stuff was missing.

Reactions: PA Vol
you're somewhat right but somewhat wrong too. Butchna a Rb coach as Graham or CRG can teach based on experiential knowledge. Also their experience is better than any plug and play coach. There are certain drills and such that true Rbs can teach the kids and the way they break down film based on experience is different too. I spoke to players and they said the difference was night and day. CRG had years of experience in which his Rbs did their thing dating back to WV.He worked them and called for them to do extra work outside of practice as a group etc. The guys said all that kind of stuff was missing.
They liked him. Trying to pump him up whilst making their position seem more nuanced than it is...imo. Sticking with Coach Stuffed Armadillo is a boss!

The main reason Mark Levine started over Jamal Lewis. 😖
Remember that time in the SEC Championship against Auburn when Jamal Lewis whiffed on a block and Manning got his knee hit which turned into a busted Burser Sac injury which in turn led to Nebraska whipping our ass in the Orange Bowl . . . :)

Google Jay Graham and read where he’s coaching..

Hmmmm..... Guess somebody had a change of heart..or didn’t make the cut

Last edited:
Remember that time in the SEC Championship against Auburn when Jamal Lewis whiffed on a block and Manning got his knee hit which turned into a busted Burser Sac injury which in turn led to Nebraska whipping our ass in the Orange Bowl . . . :)
I remember the Nebraska ass-whipping. Before that it’s a blur of epic Jamal Lewis highlights.

VN Store

Back